Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

One point I'd like to say something about:

I really hate this proverb, it is a blatant lie

I don't want to start a political discussion here, and I also can't tell you what you put into the mod and what not....

I'm sorry your family had a rough time, anyone who has been in real combat knows it changes you.

We intend to provide switches for reasonable feature adjustments. I'm not sure that this request meets the level of reasonable - but no doubt it will be discussed by the developers at least.

ACE2 is a lot more modular and should get along better with more 3rd-party packages. But that does not mean that deleting files from the bundle to "improve" it will work - just use the switches provided please.

Glowsticks and flashlights :yay:

one question about the sandbags: ( i remember how those worked in A1 ) if i will put them on a vehicle will them "stick" to it?

second one: we haven't see anything about backpack ( as already pointed out ) and wound system are you guys preparing something special? :bounce3:

You can also stack up sandbags by using the ARROW UP / DOWN keys or remove built sandbags and put them back into your inventory.

I was wondering if it would be possible to adjust the key assignment for that manually by the player? I'm one of those odd screwballs that use the arrows for movement (go ahead and laugh, I know you all want to :p :o ).

If i'm not mistaken it was possible to manually configure ACE keybind in ACE1, i don't remember where you have to look tho

Yeah I remember that, but I didn't see anything to change for the sandbags. So when I walked forward the sandbag ended up 6 feet in the air, hehe. :p

A few question and forgive me if I've missed it in other comments:

1. The stadia on the A.C.O.G. appear a bit small, is this just due to the you tube video? It's been 2 years since I've used one but I seem to remember them being slightly larger (or maybe my eyesight has decayed that much)

2. The flare seemed to give a green cast to the terrain resembling the NVG colors in game. Is this intended?

3. What is that back blast sound when firing the RPG, was that loose dirt kicked up?

4. Will the PEQ be functional?

Keep up the great work guys.

A few question and forgive me if I've missed it in other comments:...

1. They are ranged to faux-ArmA balistics based on calculations NoWonderDog described in ArmA1. The stadia lines do not represent RL balistics so its possible they are condensed - so you could be right, but I don't think its significantly different.

2. This is just the standard BIS flare effect.

3. Something like that. The sound you here are the bits that are lethal while standing too close behind the RPG when its fired :)

4. Not initially. The A2 engine does not currently support laser capabilities. It has already been announced that Operation Arrowhead will, so its possible for the future.

please dont release this mod as "exe"....it is a pain to install,just stick with rar.

I think that exe is the most suitable

can you explain how to install an "exe"?I got alpinestar launcher...

Do it like we did with FDFmod for ArmA. A self extracting RAR exe that doubles as an installer which can locate your ARMA2 directory. It will however not add anything to registry and purists can extract it normally just like every other rar file. It should be a solution that fits everyones needs ;).

hey norsu!I am not a "purist" I am just a NOOB!

1. They are ranged to faux-ArmA balistics based on calculations NoWonderDog described in ArmA1. The stadia lines do not represent RL balistics so its possible they are condensed - so you could be right, but I don't think its significantly different.

2. This is just the standard BIS flare effect.

3. Something like that. The sound you here are the bits that are lethal while standing too close behind the RPG when its fired :)

4. Not initially. The A2 engine does not currently support laser capabilities. It has already been announced that Operation Arrowhead will, so its possible for the future.

Cool, thanks for the info. I really liked the chem-lite add, nice touch

About the "exe vs. rar", someone once said that the mod will have somekind of auto-updater tool, if im not mistaken.

Flashlights will blind people, like any other light in the game?

BTW, nice job...

1. ACE1 came as an exe. That was done to keep things as easy as possible for the new guys in maintaining the MOD folders, etc, as it was even creating a shortcut for you.

2. That same exe, could have been decompressed manually with 7zip (which is free and accessible) or some other compressing software...

So you had both options in 1...

About the "exe vs. rar", someone once said that the mod will have somekind of auto-updater tool, if im not mistaken.

Correct! I guess the Public release will use that as well (all the alpha builds are being spread to devs and testers using the updater tool).

I don't want to get into detail about how the updater tool itself, since it is Sickboy's baby, and he is the most qualified to give details about it...

But, to answer some concerns, the ruby updater will download and place all the content you need in your ArmA2 folder, create a shortcut for you, and afterward, it will really easy to stay up to date with patches and alike, all you would need would be to run the tool.

Flashlights will blind people, like any other light in the game?

Yes

yes but if it creates a shortcut how to run it with other addons with armalauncher?

yes but if it creates a shortcut how to run it with other addons with armalauncher?

What does 1 thing got to do with the other?

You can either edit that shortcut that was created and add whatever amounts of mods/addons you like, or in your case, using a launcher (sorry, never used one myself), you can always select from the given list which ones you want to play with, am i right?

one question about the sandbags: ( i remember how those worked in A1 ) if i will put them on a vehicle will them "stick" to it?

Sorry to repost that but since you are here pufu can you.. :rolleyes::D

Brainbug, that Latin phrase is and has always been intend as an irony. I served in the Marines '94-'00 and know all to well the real cost of defending one's country, regardless of the reasons. I specifically selected that quote as the ACE slogan to show the futility or war (which is why it should always and only be played out in video games) and the ignorance of the common man.

If it bothers you, I encourage you to write to your elected representatives and become politically active because the power structure has and always will send young men to die for their causes. We can only change that historic fact if we take power to do so.

-Sight adjustment. While it's a nice feature I think the interface is too clumsy when you want to quickly adjust the sights. With a real HMG it takes about two seconds to adjust the distance sight but at least in ACE1 I just preferred to correct my aiming instead of adjusting sights. For slow paced long range sniping with static targets the interface is sufficient. Maybe a simple vertical slider which can be used with mouse wheel could do for HMGs and other similar weapons.

I see where Norsu's coming from on this one. A mouse driven interface is good enough for snipers (on the first shot) or any kind of barrage weapon (ie - from a reasonably constant distance); but for anyone on the move, or who may have to adjust the windage rapidly, it may prove to be fiddly/cumbersome. The GMJ Sight Adjustment mod got it spot on (using the up/down left/right arrows), so it may be worth looking at mapping it to the keyboard somewhere. I do appreciate the fact though that there will probably be so many features on your mod that it would be difficult to give them all their own key assignments, so fair play if you would like to stick with the mouse menu and let people in a rush to readjust tough it out on the fly :)

Brainbug, that Latin phrase is and has always been intend as an irony. I served in the Marines '94-'00 and know all to well the real cost of defending one's country, regardless of the reasons. I specifically selected that quote as the ACE slogan to show the futility or war (which is why it should always and only be played out in video games) and the ignorance of the common man.

If it bothers you, I encourage you to write to your elected representatives and become politically active because the power structure has and always will send young men to die for their causes. We can only change that historic fact if we take power to do so.

Careful, I don't think you want to turn this into a political thread.

I see where Norsu's coming from on this one. A mouse driven interface is good enough for snipers (on the first shot) or any kind of barrage weapon (ie - from a reasonably constant distance); but for anyone on the move, or who may have to adjust the windage rapidly, it may prove to be fiddly/cumbersome. The GMJ Sight Adjustment mod got it spot on (using the up/down left/right arrows), so it may be worth looking at mapping it to the keyboard somewhere. I do appreciate the fact though that there will probably be so many features on your mod that it would be difficult to give them all their own key assignments, so fair play if you would like to stick with the mouse menu and let people in a rush to readjust tough it out on the fly :)

Mousewheel would also be very good.