Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

Will there be a damage system for vehicles (tanks) based on penetration?

Other than Shac tactical, it seems like most clans and communities have left ACE for Arma 2.

I used to play a lot on Tactical Gamer, but after Arma 2 came out, the ACE server became deserted. A shame I think, I had a lot more fun with Arma 1 in its final days of life, than I have with Arma 2 now.

Other than ACE 2 arriving, I really hope BI fixes the VON. Its hard to understand why it work so bad in Arma 2, when it seemingly is the same thing that worked so well in Arma 1 after some patches.

Yeah, the VON in ArmA 2 is a pain, and i often feel like playing ACE over ArmA 2 or any other game, ArmA 2 without ACE isn't THAT fun in my opinion.

Oh, and i played a lot on TG as well, that's probably where i've seen you :P

Edited by stebbi92

what's von???:j:

Voice Over Network :)

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Features_of_ACE2#Crew_Damage

Crew Damage

Being in a vehicle does NOT protect you anymore from everything going around you.

You will not only suffer from bullets being shot directly at you, but also from explosive devices detonating under or next to the vehicle you are in, e.g roadside bombs or direct fire with grenades or shells.

This also includes shellshock effects for tank crews and armored vehicles.

This will allow killing/injuring crew members of certain lightly protected vehicles without needing to destroy the vehicle

Crew Protection

This feature simulates the protective gear of crewman and pilots (SoldierXCrew, SoldierXPilot).

The corresponding class can stand the following effects better:

* Concussion caused by AT launcher fired

* Concussion caused by Anti Tank Missile systems fired

* Concussion caused by Tanks firing

* It doesn't protect you against all other effects like, backblast, overpressure or flying debris.

Edited by stebbi92

Thank you, I have read the wiki with the features. That's why I ask. I can't find there something about a decent vehicle damage system based on penetration. Would be a shame if ACE2 allows battle tanks being destroyed by machine gun fire.

There's a dedicated team of people called CASP, whose objective is realistic armor simulation in Arma 2 (and they're making good progress on it). I recommend you keep track of them if you're into tanks. We (ACE) are currently busy with other high prority things and don't plan do develop a similar system on our own. This might change in the future.

I wasent really asking for anything in the previous post.

Just a slightly offtopic opinion on designing game atmosphere..

The police shoot out example was meant to point out that humans have involuntary responses to stress, and its a challenge to recreate those same feelings.

But to be the devils advocate and argue the point about fight or flight and what not......

How do you know if you are injured in video game?

In ARMA you fall down and squirm around.

Is this a voluntary player controlled response.

No its the effect of a game action that has been programmed by the designers to influence your gameplay.

Not saying the game designer should make the players characture runaway but it has to somehow indicate to you the health and state of you unit.

Either way, just my take.

People like what they like and everyones opinion is valid.

Play Hard

Have FUN:)

I wasent really asking for anything in the previous post.

Just a slightly offtopic opinion on designing game atmosphere..

The police shoot out example was meant to point out that humans have involuntary responses to stress, and its a challenge to recreate those same feelings.

But to be the devils advocate and argue the point about fight or flight and what not......

How do you know if you are injured in video game?

In ARMA you fall down and squirm around.

Is this a voluntary player controlled response.

No its the effect of a game action that has been programmed by the designers to influence your gameplay.

Not saying the game designer should make the players characture runaway but it has to somehow indicate to you the health and state of you unit.

Either way, just my take.

People like what they like and everyones opinion is valid.

Play Hard

Have FUN:)

Words of wisdom.

There's a dedicated team of people called CASP, whose objective is realistic armor simulation in Arma 2 (and they're making good progress on it). I recommend you keep track of them if you're into tanks. We (ACE) are currently busy with other high prority things and don't plan do develop a similar system on our own. This might change in the future.
I hope the CASP product will be ACE2 compatible. Armour is so lame right now and seriously needs some improvements.

Some teasers:

Air refueling:

ace2teaser_airref_th.jpg

M107 Muzzleblast:

ace2teaser_muzzleblast_th.jpg

Firing an RPG-7 from prone position:

ace2teaser_backblast_th.jpg

Goggle/Headgear sys.:

ace2teaser_goggle_th.jpg

Weapon resting:

ace2teaser_weprest_th.jpg

The hoses for inflight refuelling are in the wrong place but aside that looks very good. Is there going to be a separate key to extend the refuelling probe?

Don't carry 70 kgs worth of gear.

Actually the fitness of the soldiers on ACE is that of someone who is unfit you should be able to run further before collapsing. This doesn't just happen with heavy loads but also with light loads another addon might be to model Body armour and its associated weight.:cool:

Actually the fitness of the soldiers on ACE is that of someone who is unfit

Clock the speeds at which they move, and you'll see they're pretty damn fit.

We've just hashed over the entire weight/fitness issue. Please go back a couple pages on the thread and read before posting please.

Pilots have training and special equipment to better handle the stress of g-forces during flight. Non-pilots must be more carefull during maneuvers. Excessive g-forces can effect your vision, cause you to black-out / red-out, or even lose conciousness.

Very cool idea guys. Were you able to make the sound go away or muffled when passed out? Just wondered if thats a possibility.

Just read the features list and im very very impressed. :) Great work guys this will make my life.

Alex

Very cool idea guys. Were you able to make the sound go away or muffled when passed out? Just wondered if thats a possibility.

Making the sound go away is easy. Preventing unconscious guys from steering vehicles or accessing the action menu is much more difficult, though I believe it's a bit easier now in Arma2. Back in ArmA1 it was a nightmare. :)

In Arma2 you can actually do a lot more interesting stuff, like realistically simulating the effects of G-forces or injuries with postprocessing effects.

After reading the features page i have some suggetions on the parachuting:

Static line parachuting is the most common method of jumping out of an airplane. This simply means that the chute is hooked in on a metal cord in the airplane (the jumper has to hook in on command). The jumper then just jumps out of the door and the cord is pulls out the parachute without requiring the jumper to do anything.

Parachute failure:

It can happen that the parachute doesn't open or doesn't open properly. It's called "biscuit building" in german because the chute then looks like a biscuit :) But this may only happen to the T-10 (which is the most common chute). Have a look here

I need a release soon -Im getting mad :D Ive been already thinking about installing arma1 just to play ACE with all these nice HK416s and so on =D

ArmA2 vanilla is waiting for the big ACE mod to bring the change.

Yes we can!

lol

Sorry if it's been covered, but will parallax-free holosights be making it in at all? I'd guess not but I can hope. If not, will the crouching animation be made static?

Since this is my first post on this subject. Some things I would like to see changed. In the magazine system, add a little more missiles for the SMAW launcher. Really it doesn't give you enough for the amount of tanks you face. Sometimes there is not always 50 people playing.

Also, come on let us have a little more running time lol, my grandma can run faster with gear in real live and longer, of course i'm being sarcastic, but seriously, you really need to extend the running exhaustion time for the AI.

So those are only my two suggestions, thanks..

;1462074']I need a release soon -Im getting mad :D Ive been already thinking about installing arma1 just to play ACE with all these nice HK416s and so on =D

ArmA2 vanilla is waiting for the big ACE mod to bring the change.

Yes we can!

lol

I'm going on to play some ACE now, i can't bear this anymore!

Is there a projected release date for this mod? Did the ACE mod come out in the later days of the first armas life or early enough for people to enjoy it before arma 2 came out? Just curious. I know u cant rush perfection.

if i ask how many percents of features in ACE2 are completed, u wont answer me, will ya?

i know the ace team is doing its best, an they work really hard, but waitting is terible

Is there a projected release date for this mod? Did the ACE mod come out in the later days of the first armas life or early enough for people to enjoy it before arma 2 came out? Just curious. I know u cant rush perfection.

The same question was asked on another forum, someone responded "When finished." (Can't find the page now :P) So you probably won't get an answer until just before the release.

Since this is my first post on this subject. Some things I would like to see changed. In the magazine system, add a little more missiles for the SMAW launcher. Really it doesn't give you enough for the amount of tanks you face. Sometimes there is not always 50 people playing.

ACE2 is about realism, and I can assure you that unless the soldier is just going to carry the rockets 100m from a vehicle to a defensive position he won't ever carry more than 3 at a time, and even that is heavy.

If you face so many tanks you are playing poorly designed missions, or aren't even close to the number of AT soldiers the mission should be designed for.