Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

Heres what Sickboy said in the ACE 1 topic:

ACE2 is underway, and we hope to deliver a first release in some weeks.

Thats a nice surprise, I was expecting at least six months waiting time before ACE2 arrived.

It shall be very interesting to see what is included in this release.

I would do fine with new sounds and few extra weapons :P

Later on we can add all the fancy stuff. :P

Question to ACE Devoleper team: Are you guys going to get marines their deserved Ch47? :)

Question to ACE Devoleper team: Are you guys going to get marines their deserved Ch47? :)

?? There are no CH-47s in the US Marines inventory.

I've had an idea, with these new overlays that can be placed on the screen, does this mean that

instead of blacking out the screen it could just blur it massively when you run for too long?

Yeah i think he means the CH46 Sea Knight.

I have seen few pics of Marines in a chinook looking helicopter. I saw one been made, but not released for ArmA1. I thought it was named CH47, guess its 46 then :p

It'd be cool anyways :P

I've had an idea, with these new overlays that can be placed on the screen, does this mean that

instead of blacking out the screen it could just blur it massively when you run for too long?

Some people get severe headaches from too much blur, so it wouldn't be recommended.

In reality incoming mortars and artillery don't whistle though.

'Whistle'

YKsz_3q4ZrQ

and 'howl'

YuzT9sMkmVM

Just a couple of examples :)

Good videos. There's no doubt that they whistle and howl like that, it's a damn eerie sound even when you know there coming and they're yours.

I'm reading the book "Generation Kill" and the reporter says from his experience in Irak with 1st Reconnaissance Battalion that you hear a whistle from artillery shells but not from mortar rounds.

"A mortar blast is different from artillery. you hear the blast as an artillery shell is fired, then the sound of it whizzing through the sky, followed by the boom as it hits. Mortars come out of nowhere. There is no warning just a blast, and a column of black smoke where it hits. If they're close you feel a sharp increase in the air pressure. The sonic vibrations make the airs on your body tingle, and your teeth feel numb for an instant." Evan Wright
Edited by dunedain

Some people get severe headaches from too much blur, so it wouldn't be recommended.

Should have thought of that :(

I'd definitely like the blur-option myself though. Could probably be changed with a client-side setting for blackout or blur on exhaustion if one makes the code a bit more advanced though. Something for the later stages of development I suppose ^^

As far as the role of medics in ACE 2 it might be interesting to use the "check status" feature (if included in ACE 2) to give medics an exercise in triage, medics would have to read out the injuries of the victim and determine if the injuries are treatable or if the case was hopeless (internal bleeding, severe head injury, etc.) as a consequence for not checking the injury the treatment animation would just stay on a loop for an indefinite period. this suggestion might be too radical for ACE 2, but it was worth a shot.

Adding some sound to flying mortar shells would help with immersion even if they dont make the sound IRL.

I only speak for myself when I say I'd like to hear some indication whether the explosion I just saw was a mortar or just an AI throwing a grenade. Plus its just plain cool to hear your own mortar rounds whizzing over your head, it just makes the game that much more exciting.

Working on some ideas for arty with others. Sounds for incoming are definitely part of the discussion.

I've managed to make a simplistic model for incoming rounds ( mortars in this case ) via pure mission scripting. Having it as part of the actual ammunition would be far better - but it does involve a far bigger can of worms being opened. All I can say for now is let us know whether this is a major win for you or not so the effort can be prioritized properly.

Adding some sound to flying mortar shells would help with immersion even if they dont make the sound IRL.

They do make a sound in real life, and I bet the guys who have really been out there can testify. My experiences come from peace-time training.

The specific sound depends on the type of the round. The two I got to hear most, let's say type "old" and type "new" 81mm mortars, were slightly different. I'm not very good at describing these in english, but let's try: Type "new" only made a sort of SWISHSWISHSWISH-sound. If you whisper that over and over again you get some kind of idea. Definitely no whistling at all. Type "old" was the same, but with a bit of whistling added in.

If the shell was going to land close the sound could be pretty loud. Artillery, at least our 122mm D-30s, sounded almost like jets flying overhead. Not as loud, but a similar sound.

PLEASE for the love of god, DON't add the stupid script where if you run to long you collapse, I HATED that in arma 1, other then that it was quite an awesome mod!

PLEASE for the love of god, DON't add the stupid script where if you run to long you collapse, I HATED that in arma 1, other then that it was quite an awesome mod!

For the 'love of realisme'... :p.

Not sure (as that isn't my task etc), but maybe with ACE2 it will be much more flexible so servers can decide if they use script'X' or not.

Anyway, the script wasn't stupid, it was the users not appling it correct that were stu.... ;). This was one of the key features where ACE was build around in the end. They add good and bad things of real life. You just need to learn to adopt feature X and Y.

Meaning, that feature added a new approche to how you equipe yourself...and most important imho is the fact it forces you a bit to communicate with your teammembers. So if you plan to fill all your slots, you act as the mule of the group. So you serve the team and in return the team backs you up by frequently taking a rest, cover you when you need to do a long sprint...and if you collapse during that move, they should take positions and cover untill you are fine again. It is a give and take feature.

I remember we had some good plays and communications that covered this when i played with the guys of GOL.

Beside that, you can still use the option to pack up vehicles and use those as mobile rearm crates. But yeah, that requires teamactions and dissipline. Something you don't find on every server.

Anyway, just giving you some options as i don't think the stigma feature will be something that will be dropped.

maybe i hated it because i was stuck being the ammo man carying the m2 50 cal :( with all the ammo :(:(:(

Now that is a good idea DaSquade. Make the scripts modular/selectable. That would no doubt broaden the scope of the mod as it would make it more appealable to those who don't want all the full realism things but want certain things such as weapon resting or ballistic values

As I understood it there would be some kind of freedom for mission-makers to choose what ACE-modules to have active or not in the specific mission.

Looking forward to ACE2.

Any chance to have an FLIR script and a removal of the vanilla radar?

And artillery make a distinct sound while in air. Have heard it myself.

Add the Mi-28 yes? :)

I think the ACE team will include FLIR. That is prolly a given. ACE1 is an awesome mod and i just cannot wait for ACE2. It WILL rock our socks off.

Alex

I've been playing ACE for arma: CE for a week or two now, and aside from the bugs I LOVE IT!

But a couple features I would REALLY like to see:

-Have sight adjustments on ALL weapons which have them in real life, this includes pretty much every personal weapon except for side-arms

-Put sight adjustment capability on gunships. They already have laser range-finders. I'm pretty sure IRL the ballistic computer does this for you. Given that Arma is very mod-able, I dont think it would be too hard to have the gun camera auto-zero the gun

-Put LANTIRN pods on fighter jets so they could actively guide laser-guided bombs (like IRL)