Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

The settings exist in every software so each user can configure it by desire. ACE is ussually used in cooperative games, why are you concerned about others settings? Are you afraid that others kill more than you because they see darker smoke?

Of course, there will be no customisations that affect gameplay dramatically but they should be present.

The same discussion is about 3th person view. Lot of people like it but some servers administrator remove it just because they dont consider it "realistic". The impact on gameplay statistics is minimum, hard to say that you kill more because you used 3th person view.

Removing features from game is not smart at all, all people should enjoy the game the way they want. If you don't want to an existing feature, YOU don't use it, but dont be that limited to forbid it to others.

Third person actually has a big effect in pvp games, which is why such servers usually turn it off. It enables people too look around corners and over walls, you might as well be wallhacking. I like the third person view though, especially in vehicles.

Isnt the whole point of ACE that it's NOT modular?

I disagree there. If I'd had the choice in the arma 1 version, I would've kept most of the systems (wounding, rucksacks etc. - but not the insane AI) and dumped all the content since I never really found a use for 50 different varieties of 5.56mm assault rifles and stuff like that.

Modular would be the way to go, says I.

"Third person actually has a big effect in pvp games, which is why such servers usually turn it off. It enables people too look around corners and over walls, you might as well be wallhacking. I like the third person view though, especially in vehicles. "

Remember, all players can use it. But I agree it can be hidden in pvp games, still no point in huge multiplayer games.

"I disagree there. If I'd had the choice in the arma 1 version, I would've kept most of the systems (wounding, rucksacks etc. - but not the insane AI) and dumped all the content since I never really found a use for 50 different varieties of 5.56mm assault rifles and stuff like that"

:)) I would only keep the balistics, new weapons and rucksack and ignore everything else.... see thats why customisation is really needed.

Edited by afp

What about little tutorial missions were players can get familiar with ACE2 features?

Really same story as Documentation; It would be highly benificial if we could receive support in this area :)

I love the mod, would like to help when i have free time from working on Age of Chivalry :P

I have some C#, C++ coding experiance, also i can do PHP, MSQL scripts!

:) Very welcome, will send you a message shortly.
Not a Game that is mostly real would be played, it's a balance on a knife's edge between realism an playability ! ;)
Agreed!

PS2; it's always funny to see the realism discussion's, one guy's realism is the other guy's humour :)

Isnt the whole point of ACE that it's NOT modular? Just one mod to rule them all? With features implemented that are supported by a vast majority of the community? Making things modular in MP will only advantage/disadvantage players and will only stand to divide an already relatively small community. If for instance ACE makes shooting after running more realistic by making it harder, I don't want another player to be able to turn that feature off. If ACE incorporates new smoke effects that are more persistent, I don't want another player to turn that off so he can see more than I can. Also, would we find a 100 different types of ACE running on different servers? Don't make it modular I say, keep it simple, keep it clean.
No worries mate. I was trying to make clear that if we go modular there should be no downsides.

If the mod parts are modular, it is only POSSIBLE to just use pieces of the Mod.

My current thoughts about Modularity, though by far finalized

The mod can still be made available and used in its entirely.

• More core systems, seperately available. So that others can make use of it without having to support the whole ACE Mod.
  • Make it possible to use core and other systems, seperated from the Model/texture overrides.
  • Split all the large addons over smaller addons (will especially be beneficial for update-sizes etc :P)
  • Server Owners decide which addons they want enabled on their server, and which ones they dont want

Example:

3 Modfolders;

@ACE2-Core

@ACE2-Systems

@ACE2-Models

With this design you can freely use what you want in SP. In MP you are required to use the server's settings.

We will simply make sure that every class will be always available so there is no chance in breaking missions per se.

Next to that, we can enhance configuration options. Maybe like ECP did for OFP.

If you look at ECP and EECP, the former being the core mod with all kinds of awesome systems and enhancements, the latter being the models mod that replaces a lot (etc. etc.).

Or heck, just have to look in ACE's own history (WGL) :)

Anyways, there should really not be any downsides, since you can still have the large mod that has everything, other addons can make use of our (also seperately available) core addons, and at the end of the day, everybody wins?

Basically:

• Allow better / easier configuration of the systems we provide
  • Allow ppl to enjoy the Mod without all the replacement models and textures
  • Allow other modteams to make use of our core-systems, without needing the whole Mod. (kind of like Extended_Eventhandlers)

Edited by Sickboy

Sounds more like WGL. Love it!

I'm glad to hear that ACE are thinking heavily of going modular for ArmA2. Certainly for example, in the British MP squad i'm with, we wanted the wounding, rucksacks, nifty features, etc. But we didn't really want all the different US army units and whatnot, which was at least 800mb of unused addons. Probably the bits of ACE we wanted came to a couple of hundred MB at most!!

I mean like the whole ace mod is in one folder but the user can choice his own level of realism :P

Just going into a config file and puttin in // or no // infront of what parts should be active or not in the mod.

Like not every1 enjoys having At weapons slow down the player to a crawl everytime they try to outrun a angry gunship or hordes of enemy troops :D

I liked some of the vehicle enhancements alot in Ace mod and that weapons could jam gave missions extra tension too :)

Can you guys utilize more of SLX, I'll be honest, the AI in SLX seems more intelligent than ACE AI. Since removed just about all my ArmA addons after buying ArmA II I did not want to redownload ACE. So I went with SLX, while SLX lacks many features of ACE it still has a ton of core gameplay things that make the game fun. I had a better time playing Invasion 44 with SLX than ACE with normal ArmA.

Then again, if your making the mod for ArmA II there isn't much to change about the AI and you guys can do more of the actual physical in-game features which you seemed to focus a lot on in ArmA.

Will the AI will be fixed so it won't magically detect me in 0.1 sec after being hit, have eyes in the back, see me through walls, hills, dense forests and bushes etc.. Because tbh BIS never bothered to fix this in ArmA1 during past 2.5 years and ACE mod was the only thing to make AI act more like human though still not perfectly. As apart from usual BIS bugs cheating AI is quite a gamebreaking thing for me.

could you please add thermal vision (like UAVs) to tanks supposed to have one ?

Not to start a ridiculous discussion here (again) but the ACE Wounding System was more Realistic than you maybe think!

In RL People DO NOT (always) die from a Bullet-wound instantly like in Vanilla Arma and Arma2 - they die from blood-loss in the most cases if no first aid is available.

Also ACE did calculated the ballistic Vest of Certain units-classes which slows down bullets in the worst case and thus results in lower damage values, etc.

Trust me we had much discussion about it ACE-Internal and a lot of Info from ballistic experts, books about war injuries, etc was posted and evaluated.

I just can tell you for instance that my Grandfather was shot into his lung during the WW2 and he survived!

In Brazil-Slums or in Gangwars in USA, people sometimes survive with more than 15 bulletshots, etc...

When you believe "One Shot = Dead" than you believe in pure Hollywood dramatist.

Fact is ACE made it much much much more realistic than Arma1 ever was - of course one had to get used to it when he was playing normal Arma1 before, but thats life.

The only thing it was missing (but it was AFAIK in development) was that shot AI suffers more from bulletwounds/bleeding and not stand up again like nothing happens and returning to killer machines again.

Not always true as i used to put a burst of rounds into the AIs face at close range and he would still just go unconscious lol.

I've experienced the AI just going unconscious after taking a 7.62 to the face from less than 100 metres away, so yeah it does need some work though it's on the right track.

Also, I second Sam75's suggestion.

Looking forward to ArmA2 and later what the ACE-team can do with it.

Just one request: Improve the VTOL flight model for the V-22 Osprey, please. It is not ideal for rapid insertions in its current state. :)

excellent work with ACE mod for arma 1, made th egame playable for me again after months of shelving it. really looking forward to the next Gen ACE. also, i really thought BIS should of offered u a job lol

*cough* if you mean the instantchange from primary to secondary weapon you should have a view in the real world.

So don't lean yourself to much out of the 'real' window, you could be falling and hurt very real. :p

The ACE-Mod have some very nice features and make a lot things better than ArmA, but on some points it's differ from the reality in some points more than ArmA, thats a fact you can't rationalise away !

So come back on earth ! :D

PS:

Not a Game that is mostly real would be played, it's a balance on a knife's edge between realism an playability ! ;)

I know that you don't like ACE that much (at least in german forums you expressed that very often) so i won't reply to the "lean-out-of-window-stuff", or get into other stuff, etc.

What i answer you however:

To the instant change from primary to secondary weapon an certain stances, the reason was AFAIK that simply a appropriate animation and/or animation-config was missing. Never forget that ACE was/is still beta! ;)

And now please don't start your usual examples how bad the stamina system is, etc. You can't ever convince me that ACE = bad!:rolleyes:

To the instant change from primary to secondary weapon an certain stances, the reason was AFAIK that simply a appropriate animation and/or animation-config was missing. Never forget that ACE was/is still beta! ;)

No. That decision was made to enhance gameplay. ACE was never all about realism, but realism and gameplay. That decision was based on someone's assessment of what needed to be improved to make the game more fun... That discussion was occurring when I was beta testing ACE. So yeah, don't lean so far out of the realism window. You're hammering a round peg into a square hole. Saying that ACE is 100% realism based is 40% lies.

G-C, and others, while this thread purpose is to discuss on stuff, i feel you are taking a lot of stuff to personally.

In this case, please feel free to PM whoever you feel like and defend your principles that way.

Thank You

Thank you ACE devs for thinking about modular form. Other people have brought the exact point of why I personally want modulation.

The points against it are silly IMO, if you look at the proposed methods of release of the mod.

Most public servers will run 100%, and thats fine, but there will be a few that choose to only use a few parts of the mod for their own reasons (probably private servers or servers that specially state what mod they use).

I hear allot of, "aww I wish we had this part from ACE incorporated with this other mod, without all the other stuff ACE has". Modular form would hopefully bring this to reality. If any of you tried to take aspects from ACE1 and make them separate, you will understand completely where I'm coming from.

Hello all,

After along time away from ARMA, ACE bought me running back to the game, after giving up on the profusion of mods needed to bring the vanilla game "up to scratch" and the difficulty of joining servers with diff mods.

IMHO it was superb.

Yes there were a few niggles with it but I was quite happy just having one major mod to download and KNOW that I could connect to a server and not get kicked for not having x or y mod.

Rather than being and ACE issue, it's more an Arma problem in how the server details are displayed.

Modulise the mod by all means (and perhaps bring out an all in one mod for those not affiliated with a squad) but do bring it out and soon!

I miss the wounding effect on myself and AI, although ARMA2 gives a nod in that direction, ACE actually made playing a Medic worthwhile.

I also liked the fact that enemy AI may not be killed instantly and do pose a threat to you once hit.

The solution? Use your side arm on any bodies you get close to. It's the only way to be sure.

That aspect definately upped the tension for me.

I'd be happy to play with the models/texture as they are/were in ARMA as they were well moddled/textured and for the moment dont need to be bought up to ARMA2 levels of "prettyness". If the mods scripting could be adapted to ARMA2 soon.

Again, that's just my opinion and im sure others may disagree.

Don't wait for a beta release, just give us the barebones/buggy/unfinished alpha and us early adopters can just relish the fact that we would be playing a good game but vastly improved by the presence of ACE. (i for one would be happy to supply oodles of feedback and bug reports).

Obviously, this being the real world, The transition from ARMA1 to ARMA2 is probably a hideous amount of work and i dont expect to see a release any time soon, but I can dream cant I?

Keep it up as, for me, ACE makes the ARMA franchise far closer to what it should have been in the first place. (no offence to BI etc :) )

Oh, the only feedback i would have at the moment is to try and replace the horrid Inventory system completely as it's not very user friendly in vanilla Arma2.

Thats my 2 pence worth.

rgds

LoK

Currently playing German Arma2 with translation "mod" - patch 1.01

I too must thank the ACE team. Looking forward to Arma2 with your outstanding mod.

Luv ACE Mod!

What impact will there be on updates and server file checking if ACE goes modular for A2?

Cheers,

Akilez

On the issue of modularity, it depends on how it is implemented

If modularity mean that you have to exit the game, mess with shortcuts PBOs, and launchers then modularity is a no-go. one of the assets of ACE is the fact that it is what it is, and you don't need to fuck around with it to play online. you hit join, and it works.

Now, if ACE2 were to go down the rout that ArmA2 is taking with modular game logics, then yeah, modularity is the way to go. That way the mission maker, or the server admin can control what is an is not used, but it does not mean that people have different game data. Every one needs to have the same game data available for a server to use or not use.

So ultimately I am against modularity in the ACE mod, because I am not sure of the effectiveness of the game logics (how powerful they can be), and because judging from most public servers, most people would deactivate most of the actual good features of ACE and leave it pretty much vanilla with one or two extras tacked on. Additionally there is still that issue of playability and compatibility online.

For new content for ACE2 I hope you guys upgrade the vanilla weapons, gear units and such BEFORE going and adding new ones. Keep everything nice and consistent :D

Its annoying to be able to use the backup iron sites on one of the 416 ACOG but not the default m16 and m4s, or the Rus weapons with PSOs

I cant wait to see what you guys in ACE are going to be capable of with the new and improved ArmA2.

especially with the new medical systems. and if you guys can implement the IVs, Splints, tourniquets, and other medical gear :D

And one last note: when bandaging or treating AIs for what ever reason, it would be cool to get some more feedback about their status. for example, sometimes when you bandage an injured AI he does not stop bleeding (some times after like 10 tries he does not stop). it would be nice to know if you simply failed to stop the bleeding (a message pops up saying, "shit, hes still bleeding!") or if the game just bugged and put yet another AI into limbo, thus wasting your precious medical supplies.

vanilla ArmA2 at this point looks very good. ArmA2 with ACE2? Bloody fantastic :D

i like ace mod much, except the unconscious part wich is absolutely useless and annoying except u r going for a coffee while waiting to recover.

in my opinion is a revive function like norrins script much more enjoyable as it forces more teamwork, however i would like to see ace 2 in arma 2 but with modules if possible:)

Making addons modular is the smart thing to do, too many people using OFP method of addon making...old bad habits I guess.

I'm really happy at the thought of ACE going modular, it may encourage the other larger mods to follow suit. Which would give everyone in this community a totally custom game with many added features. Giving people a choice is a great thing to do...

Looking forward to seeing what you got up your sleeves..

O BTW..Any plans on making the sounds modular this time, like our stuff ?