Hi, I seam to be having a problem to get init.sqf file to run at start-up, so I just used init.sqs because it seam to work.

I doubt they sold you a special version of the game that doesn't use init.sqf. It's more likely that it doesn't _appear_ to run, if you have it filled with sqs syntax code.

Hi everybody,

I need help with mission briefing (Arma2).

I have made a first-test-mission. I maked the init.sqf and briefing.sqf files and placed it in the folder of my mission where the mission.sqm can be found (SP missions folder).

The .sqf files has correct and checked syntax. There is no syntax error, sure!

The brifeing doesnt work. Before the mission starts there isnt briefing.

However when playing I press 'M' for the plan and there are the tasks and notes of briefing. So I think that the briefing.sqf works but the init.sqf doesnt work. I tried init.sqs but no change.

And an another interesting thing: if I copy the folder of my mission to MP missions and run in the game as MP mission the briefing before starting is working... So as MP mission there is briefing before starting.

Hmmm... What is this problem, and how to solve how to fix? :confused:

Missions without briefing arent amuzing... :(

Any idea?

1.01 and 1.02 version have the same. (patch havent helped)

Windows Vista Business SP2

(I set the permissions of files to full permission but no change)

Thx,

Peter

are you running the mission from the editor? if so this has been discussed before. HOLD SHIFT key and press ENTER or click preview.

No.

First: The holding shift key and press enter or preview dont work too. In Operation Flashpoint it hasnt worked too... :S

When I finished editing I have imported it in single missions. This folder is default in documents\Arma2\missions.

Then I placed it in the Arma2 folder (program files as default) in SPmissions but no change.

I have asked many people but no one knows how to fix. :(

I hope here is someone with the answer.

My Arma2 game was bought in Hungary and it is a hungarian edition (dialogs, menus have been translated). do it matter? (official, legal disc)

No.

First: The holding shift key and press enter or preview dont work too. In Operation Flashpoint it hasnt worked too... :S

When I finished editing I have imported it in single missions. This folder is default in documents\Arma2\missions.

Then I placed it in the Arma2 folder (program files as default) in SPmissions but no change.

I have asked many people but no one knows how to fix. :(

I hope here is someone with the answer.

My Arma2 game was bought in Hungary and it is a hungarian edition (dialogs, menus have been translated). do it matter? (official, legal disc)

It does work, I use it all the time. As for exporting, In your editor go SAVE then click the drop down menu EXPORT TO SINGLE MISSIONS. That is the easiest and best way to export. Do the same to export to mp only choose multiplayer missions. Then go to scenarios or lan and create new to run either sp or mp mission. If none of that works you messed something up pretty good and need external eyes to look at it.

Mission briefing doesnt work... I tried everything...

I have seen nearly everything forum topics about this and there is the same:

create an init.sqf and a briefing.sqf in the folder of mission. It doesnt work in my PC under Win Vista...

Code:

init.sqf:

execVM "briefing.sqf";

very easy, no syntax error, briefing.sqf is good too because it is at Map when playing.

The briefing.sqf doesnt want to be executed before starting.... A ghost in my ******* PC or game...

If you post your mission from legitimate site ill take a look at it if you like.

**UPDATE**

make sure you create a file called briefing.html <--- just like the old way and inside put

<html>
<body>

<!---------------------------------------------------->
<!-- Debriefing                                     -->
<!---------------------------------------------------->
<!-- End #1 -->
<h2><a name="debriefing:end1"></a><br>
<!-- [TITLE_1] -->
Mission Success
<!-- [END] -->
</h2><br><p>
<!-- [TEXT_1] -->
TEXT FOR END !
<!-- [END] -->
</p><br><hr>

<!-- End #2 -->
<h2><a name="debriefing:end2"></a><br>
<!-- [TITLE_1] -->
MISSION FAIL
<!-- [END] -->
</h2><br><p>
<!-- [TEXT_1] -->
TEXT FOR END 2
<!-- [END] -->
</p><br><hr>

</body>
</html>

You can add more endings but that is all this file is used for now. Though it is needed to show map/briefing when holding shift and previewing a mission in editor and such.

Edited by Ghost

Briefing.html can be an empty file for just seeing the briefing. And if init.sqf wasn't working, you wouldn't see it in game at all!

I'm getting all sorts of hassles since 1.03. Tempted to give up on it altogether...

My problem has been solved by the briefing.html

Now I see briefing before the mission starts. Thank you all.

Someone know how to do a multi-languages briefing in ArmA2 ?

I don't know how to do with all the file of the briefing :confused:

In ArmA1 we put the name of the language in the name of the file. For example :

briefing.French.html for french

briefing.Spanish.html for spanish

briefing.German.html...

... etc

How can we do that with ArmA2 ?!?

player createDiaryRecord ["Diary", ["Find the Radio", "Your Mission is to find the Good Times Radio"]];

tskObj1 = player createSimpleTask ["Find Radio"];

tskObj1 setSimpleTaskDescription ["You Gotta find that radio!!", "Find the Radio", "This is the radio"];

tskObj1 setSimpleTaskDestination (getMarkerPos "mkrObj1");

player setCurrentTask tskObj1;

tskObj2 = player createSimpleTask ["Find Map"];

tskObj2 setSimpleTaskDescription ["You must retrive the map!!", "Find the map", "It should be here somewhere."];

tskObj2 setSimpleTaskDestination (getMarkerPos "mkrObj2");

Ok This is just a simple briefing that I set up to test as I am still learning. For the most part everything works but what I can't get to happen is when 'tskObj1' is done how to switch to 'tskObj2'.

I am sure I am missing something here. But I can't get it to work. Is there a trigger in the editor that I have to use or does it all happen in the brief.sqf???

Any help would be great. I tried looking for the answer but I am not sure what exactly what I am looking for.

in your trigger for completion of task 1 have

player setCurrentTask tskObj2;

Thanks Ghost....worked fine. The learning curve with this briefing stuff is very rough. I guess it is just trial and error.

Hi I still cant get this working right /sigh

I have set up a test mission and used sqf and done all the things i was told but still no luck.

I am sure its something that I must be doing wrong but dont have a clue what.

If anyone has the time to look at this very small and simple test mission and tell me what the hell is wrong with it and how to get the test mission to work I would be greatful.

http://rapidshare.com/files/268483766/Task_and_Briefings.Chernarus.zip

Its 1-4 Coop with group respawn, but I dont get the tasks when you die and respawn.

You're still using 0.01 of my template. Go to the first post and get 0.02 which reruns the briefing.sqf when you respawn.

Btw, which version of arma are you using?

You're still using 0.01 of my template. Go to the first post and get 0.02 which reruns the briefing.sqf when you respawn.

Btw, which version of arma are you using?

Why'd you rerun briefing again, tasks stay after respawn anyway.

Well, apparently not for him :rolleyes:

Briefings stay after respawn, you don't have to rerun them, that will only double them up. His problem is that he's not actually respawning, he's using TeamSwitch (respawn 4; though he's missing the closing ; in the description.ext) into AI which never got the briefing in the first place.

If your version 0.2 reruns briefing.sqf each respawn, you're just gonna double up tasks/notes for everyone else to fix the rare problem of those few that use TeamSwitch. :)

ahh yeh, good spot that missing semicolon.

and yeh, i'll release a 0.03 asap without the EH ;)

Hi Mike84 thanks for your time mate and sorry to be a pain. I downloaded your mission with the 0.02 Briefing.sqf but it did not have a description.ext so there was no way to test if the briefing stays after you respawn. I added my description.ext to the folder and ended up with 2 lots of briefings after respawn. This is because you re-add the briefing after death, which worked great for me before the 1.03 patch. I tried to remove just the execVM "briefing.sqf"; part of your EventHandler but then I end up with no briefing at all after respawn.

So I am still stuck, when I used the revive script I kept my briefings after respawn, but I want Side or Group respawn.

Maybe I just going to have to make all my missions use revive or have no respawning at all.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

His problem is that he's not actually respawning, he's using TeamSwitch (respawn 4; though he's missing the closing ; in the description.ext) into AI which never got the briefing in the first place.

Yes this sounds right, I added the missing ; but that still did not fix it.

So can I give the AI the Briefing so when I use switch team or respawn Via "Group" or "Side" I get my briefing? :confused:

I have no experience at all with team switch, but I found this command, onTeamSwitch, which apparently triggers every time you team switch I suppose.

You could put the call to the briefing.sqf in there to fix your problem, but this is just an uneducated guess.

I have no experience at all with team switch, but I found this command, onTeamSwitch, which apparently triggers every time you team switch I suppose.

You could put the call to the briefing.sqf in there to fix your problem, but this is just an uneducated guess.

Thanks Mike84 I will have a mess around with onTeamSwitch and see if I can get the effect I am after from that.

Am I the only person that uses respawn 4 and 5 (group/team)?

Me and my friends like Team/Group respawn but if the community dose not use it maybe I should stop using it for my mission.

Getting closer :-)

I added the Briefing to all playable units in my test mission and when you use team switch or respawn Via Group/Team the Briefings and notes are there.

Only problem now is that just like before the 1.03 patch the tasks status is lost.

I tried placing a Task update Script in the EventHandler part of Mike84 Briefing.sqf but it was not working.

To check that it was not my script or something I had messed up I setup a radio trigger to complette a task and even that did not work. After you die you cant change the task status.

So it looks like it`s impossible to get the tasks updated after you have respawned into an AI.

Maybe there is a way of changing the AI task status when you complete a task but I do not think that will even help as you cant update the task anymore.

Am I the only person that cares about group respawn?

Dose anyone have a woking way around this problem?

Is this something for BIS to fix and I need give it up?

Removed the respawn detector which reran the briefing.sqf, because BIS fixed that in arma 1.03.

@ Xtriaden

I always use group respawn, but I just have never seen a mission where I had to use teamswitch.

Group and Team respawn still do not keep your Briefing info. The Bug Tracker for this problem is closed and it would be nice to get more confirmation that this is a problem for everyone and not just me whining:-)

Using the "Killed" EventHandler trick Mike84 setup before results multi-briefing problems.

Giving the AI the briefing at the start so that when you respawn into them dose not help as the Tasks can not be updated.

Please can others confirm they get the same problem ?

Do I need to open a New Bug report as the old one is closed ?