Sign in to follow this  
Raptor

High Command Module

Do not name HC modules yourself. They are automatically named by the system, so unless you are telepathic, it is possible that you could give them incorrect or misleading names (BIS_HC_ prefix implies that a name has been given by the HC module itself, not that that is what you should force it to be named).

In this case, it makes more sense to only have one subordinate module (multiple subordinate modules are used to group together sub-groups. You only have the 3 subgroups, so no need to group them). Thus, you should really just have one SL synced with one Commander module synched with a single Subordinate module synched to 3 fire teams.

You might find my example clears up how to make a complex hierarchy, though for your simple hierarchy the example on the HC docs page might be plenty.

Regarding trying to get an FTL to get into a vehicle, just wait until the HC module is fixed to allow this.

Roger I copy...

Ok this is what I did..

1. I placed a "High Command - Commander" logic and synchronized it with my SQL.

2. Then I placed a "High Command - Subordinate" logic linked it to the "High Command - Commander" logic

3. I synchronized my "High Command - Subordinate" logic with my three FTL's

When I press the App button to go into High Commanding mode, it only shows three units... three Infantry Fire teams. It has no symbol for the "HC - Commander" element? Is that suppose to happen?

Happens to me too, i put this in the SQL init: this hcSetGroup [(group this)] and I have the HQ unit in HC mode

Why would you need to have your own group in the bar? You can order your units in "normal" mode anyway.

True Mr. Centipede.. it does make it more 'complete' also I notice in all of the example screen prints, that there was a HQ element symbol. I just wanted to know if I was doing everything all right.

**Thanks I placed: this hcSetGroup [(group this)]; in my SQL's init and it added the symbol**

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Is there any word on when BI is going to fix the problem with not allowing High Commanders to order Marines to mount vehicles??? Not having this REALLY blows!!

Is there any word on when BI is going to fix the problem with not allowing High Commanders to order Marines to mount vehicles??? Not having this REALLY blows!!

I know it runs counter to everything in USMC doctrine, but if you make the vehicle an integral part of the squad, they will board when given a long-ish movement order under Careless or Safe behavior. It also means their mounts have a lifespan measured in minutes when facing ATGM-armed opponents.

I dont want to make the AAV apart of the squad... also what happens when I want to make helo extraction scripts? This is a major problem in the game and there should be a way to order troops to mount any vehicle.

I dont want to make the AAV apart of the squad...

Neither did I, but it is a workable "fix" for the problem...

also what happens when I want to make helo extraction scripts?

...with obviously problematic limitations.

This is a major problem in the game and there should be a way to order troops to mount any vehicle.

Agreed.

Thanks for the reply...

So what I have decided to do is attempt to make a "load.sqs". A few questions first....

1. I need to make a radio command, so how do I make an action key in my radio options?

1. I need to make a radio command, so how do I make an action key in my radio options?

Easiest way is to just create a trigger with activation "Radio Alpha" and in the TEXT field enter whatever you want the radio button to display.

I figured that out... I had just forgot about the triggers.. its been awhile since I tried mission editing. Thanks:yay:

So I have written some simple scripts that allow me to send my Fire Teams to a vehicle and mount... now all I have to do is figure a way to make them dismount and be un-assignedCargo to that vehicle... any suggestions?

Ok what I have done is set up a radio trigger and I want the script to mount and dismount the troops...

When I first select the trigger I want them to mount, then the next time I use the trigger I want them to dismount...

I can get them to mount the vehicle, but when I select the trigger the second time they get out of the vehicle and quickly get back into the vehicle.... tell me what I am doing wrong in the script please..

;MountFT1

#top

;checking to see if unit is already mounted in vehicle

;if unit is not in vehicle I want it to proceed to move (mount). if unit is in vehicle then I want them to proceed to dismount

if (_FT1 != _aav1) : goto "move"

if (_FT1 == _aav1) : goto "dismount"

~1

goto "top"

#move

_FT1 = [rf1,tl1,ar1,aa1]

_aav1 = aav1

_mount = getPos aav1

_FT1 doMove _mount

~1

goto "assign"

#assign

rf1 assignAsCargo aav1

tl1 assignAsCargo aav1

ar1 assignAsCargo aav1

aa1 assignAsCargo aav1

~1

goto "mount"

#mount

[rf1] orderGetIn true

[tl1] orderGetIn true

[ar1] orderGetIn true

[aa1] orderGetIn true

~1

goto "mount"

#dismount

_FT1 = [rf1,tl1,ar1,aa1]

_dismount = getPos player

[_FT1] orderGetIn false

unassignVehicle rt1

unassignVehicle tl1

unassignVehicle ar1

unassignVehicle aa1

_FT1 doMove _dismount

exit

The problem I am having is the Fireteam Leader (rt1) is not getting back out of the vehicle and or unassigned from the Vehicle.

Edited by Meatball0311

Given the limitations of High Commands inability to order subordinate groups to mount a vehicle, is there a way to at least get the pilot of a subordinate group to land and/or dismount.

I can make a subordinate pilot takeoff and go somewhere and he may even go active and target enemy if I am lucky, but when he is no longer required, all I can do with High Command options is tell him to "move" back to base.

Ideally and quite simply it would be enough to hav him RTB "move" to his home base and land and cut the engines. If I place some repair/rearm/refuel vehicles near the "H" he may even be ready for another assignment.

I dont really want the pilot as part of my group as I really only want finite control over my immediate squad. The pilots job is to come when called, unleash hell and RTB ready to be called again. far to often in the past I have inadvertently gotten "All > Return to Formation" when I am far from home plate only to notice my pilot had fallen into formation and left his bloody chopper miles behind. A pilot with a pistol was not the sort of CAS I was hoping for, and that is why i want subordinate control over him.

I have hacked a few scripts before, but am reluctant to use complex scripts to achieve this simple task. I think ArmA / ArmA2 has often gotten too bloated with scripts to achieve the most simple of tasks.

Any ideas to a simple workaround for this?

The ability to have various "support" subordinates on call that can then be RTB'ed and replenished would be ideal for just about any mission.

I am not trying to use them as transport, I will fly my guys there myself if need be, thats a whole other can of worms and not worth the bloody drama of trying to script it, when all you want is a ride home. Even subordinate ground vehicles require a means to tell them to shutdown the engine before they run out of fuel, waiting for orders.

Anyone know how I would Sync the Subordinate marker to a recently spawned group named Westgrp01?

Hmmm. nobody?

What I'm asking is that a group of friendlies is created

WestGrp01 = CreateGroup Civilian;
_leader = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_AR", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_GL", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_MG", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_Medic", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_GL", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_leader = leader WestGrp01;

and fight alongside the player. If successful, I wanted that group to be under the player's command via High Command but obviously there is no way to sync that module with a group that is not present on the editor.

Anyone?

nameofcommander hcsetgroup [nameofgroup];

Edit: Ok, now i understood the problem, i tried it in the editor and have the same problem with created units...

Edited by [UKF] John R.

John R.;1401811']nameofcommander hcsetgroup [nameofgroup];

Edit: Ok' date=' now i understood the problem, i tried it in the editor and have the same problem with created units...[/quote']

LOl- yeah I just tried your command but no luck.

Hi Kremator, thats looks interesting but I don't see how that helps with adding spawned groups to High Command.

On another note, I changed the Guerrilas from Civilian to West and they do show up with the High Command marker over their heads now. If I left the module 'open', meaning no specific subordinates, I'm sure they would be added but so would every other Pilot, Chef, and Latrine boy associated with West.

Hmmm. nobody?

What I'm asking is that a group of friendlies is created

WestGrp01 = CreateGroup Civilian;
_leader = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_AR", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_MG", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_unit = WestGrp01 createUnit ["GUE_Soldier_Medic", [(getMarkerPos "bor") select 0,(getMarkerPos "bor") select 1,0], [], 3, "FORM"];
_leader = leader WestGrp01;

and fight alongside the player. If successful, I wanted that group to be under the player's command via High Command but obviously there is no way to sync that module with a group that is not present on the editor.

Anyone?

try this:

_newGrp = (group _leader);
player hcSetGroup [_newGrp];

this just pop out of my head, so not really test it, hope it helps

Holy Shite that worked mate! I'd buy ya beer if you lived nearby because this has been nagging the hell out of me.

Thanks

Cool Beans :bounce3:

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Just to further clarify and so I can actually retain the 'why'

Did

Player hcSetGroup WestGrp01

not work because Westgrp01 has to be a local variable aka _NewGrp?

Holy Shite that worked mate! I'd buy ya beer if you lived nearby because this has been nagging the hell out of me.

Thanks

Cool Beans :bounce3:

---------- Post added at 03:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Just to further clarify and so I can actually retain the 'why'

Did

Player hcSetGroup WestGrp01

not work because Westgrp01 has to be a local variable aka _NewGrp?

probably westGrp01 is not actually a "GROUP" datatype... not sure

or maybe the syntax wrong... try this one

Player hcSetGroup [b][[/b]WestGrp01[b]][/b]

the group has to be in an array of arrays... as in [group1,group2..groupN]. Even just one group it has to be in the brackets, [group1]

Edited by Mr_Centipede

Actually that worked as well so it looks like it was the bracket afterall. Another peg in the many holes of the mystery that is Arma code.

Actually that worked as well so it looks like it was the bracket afterall. Another peg in the many holes of the mystery that is Arma code.

Glad that I could help :)