Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

Joystick questions for ARMA2

Hi guys,

I am eagerly awaiting this game and have pre-ordered 3 copies :yay:, two for myself and one for my brother.

Questions I have not found answered anywhere.

a). Two controllers ? I have read ARMA2 can support two joysticks\keypads etc...could this be confirmed?

b). Force feedback: is there any or is it just return to centre tension on joysticks. This concerns me most as in the early versions of arma, the feedback tension on my micsosoft sidewinder force feedback 2 was great, but after subsequent patching the force became very weak.

c). Will there be adjustment of feedback level in-game (ie adjustment via control panel did nothing to adjust the level of RTC tension..it was the game that made the tension weak somehow).

I read there is an english patch for the german version....could anyone post screenshots or links of the control menus so we can figure out what kind of control of HID's we will have?

Thanks again

-=Rough_Knight=-

a) Yes, ArmA2 Supports one and more controller. In the options you can find a window to configure all installed controlers.

b) Sry, i dont know. I have just a Sidewinder without force feedback but in the .ArmAProfile-file is an option for forcefeedback (but i havent found it ingame yet).

c) I think this is the ArmAProfile-value i mentioned above.

Guest RKSL-Rock
a). Two controllers ? I have read ARMA2 can support two joysticks\keypads etc...could this be confirmed?

Yes its true. I have a HOTAS Cougar, TrackIR and Saitek Wheel plugged in and working fine. You just need to enable them in the Controller Settings.

b). Force feedback: is there any or is it just return to centre tension on joysticks. This concerns me most as in the early versions of arma, the feedback tension on my micsosoft sidewinder force feedback 2 was great, but after subsequent patching the force became very weak.

There is no Force feedback support I know of but I don't have any sort of force feed back device. But i haven't seen any options.

c). Will there be adjustment of feedback level in-game (ie adjustment via control panel did nothing to adjust the level of RTC tension..it was the game that made the tension weak somehow).

See above

I read there is an english patch for the german version....could anyone post screenshots or links of the control menus so we can figure out what kind of control of HID's we will have?

The HOTAS Cougar and Wheel options are just sensitivity sliders. TrackIR has no options at all. So its logical to assume the degree of control is dependant on your device and its drivers.

they screwed up the thorttle again! why oh why can't they make a proper throttle!

As it is now...you can either speed up...or slow down. to keep a speed with a plane you permanently got to accelerate / brake :(

I have seen many threads on controller support but they are related to leaving different units connected so one doesn't have to switch between different vehicles, but none are about the cooperation of them.

More precisely:

- Are rudder pedals supported to combine with a HOTAS system for proper control of aircraft?

wow no throttle support?

Im sure thats something they will fix with time, I cant see it being a difficult task.

I don't own flight pedals but I'm wondering if it's possible to assign pedals for rudder in aircraft and then brake/accelerate for ground vehicles?

I believe so, because now that ArmA 2 supports multiple controllers. Just don't forget to activate the controller in the options lol, thats what i did. Now you got me thinking, Im gonna try my pedals as rudders too!

I use an older Microsoft Sidewinder joystick with throttle and I've found the throttle works well in the airplanes. It's not perfect, but it is much improved on the previous game. Dr are you sure the settings are correct?

they got throttle support, but it doesn't behave like a useful throttle!

they got throttle support, but it doesn't behave like a useful throttle!
It's not perfect, but it is much improved on the previous game.

Can you guys give more details?

Is it working or not?

Is it like in OFP and ARMA (either "full power" or "no power" and no in between) or can you set like 50% power ?

its like in OFP and ArmA -> accellerate or brake....nothing else!

you can't set for example 75% power.

but it works slightly better for helis, cause now it got a wider deadzone in the middle. now you can hover easyer then in arma 1 where you were practically unable to hover proper with a throttle.

Can you guys give more details?

Is it working or not?

Is it like in OFP and ARMA (either "full power" or "no power" and no in between) or can you set like 50% power ?

OFP supports analogue throttle in planes

its like in OFP and ArmA -> accellerate or brake....nothing else!

you can't set for example 75% power.

but it works slightly better for helis, cause now it got a wider deadzone in the middle. now you can hover easyer then in arma 1 where you were practically unable to hover proper with a throttle.

Again OFP supports analogue throttle (the throttle starts halfway up the slider while the first half is brake control, but it still has proper analogue throttle)

I started this thread about analogue throttle and afterburner control October last year in ArmA2 suggestions

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=69872

Edited by AUS_Twisted

guys,i need help.

i wanna buy a force feedback joystick to fly around in arma2.

but i have no idea which one.

anyone in here with experience in this?

what about SAITEK Cyborg EVO Force?

good choice?

i need a stick who doesnt freak out when i start arma2 and it should be a "heavyweight",like the old sidewinder's from MS in the early days. no need for a 50g stick which breaks apart after a hard left turn.

;)

and it should run without any issues on Win7 32+64bit .

Edited by seelix

I don't own flight pedals but I'm wondering if it's possible to assign pedals for rudder in aircraft and then brake/accelerate for ground vehicles?

I have flight pedals assigned for ArmA, but my racing car pedals don't work well with the game.

It constantly reverses whenever I take my foot off the accelerator.

hi guys

i need some help please

i brought arma 2 OA and a logitech attack 3 Joystick

arma 2 runs all high very good no lag

but i cant use my joystick ( i enabled it form settings )

there are no controls for it in options and if i click default the controls for it appears but with grey.. i click ok and if i enter back in controls they disappear

i dunno what to do

sorry for my english but i need help

I shake my head at times when games do not work well with a joystick. Sometimes I think the support and usage of these are worse than the DOS days! You would think otherwise.

The same joystick can work flawlessly in some games and then in other you look like some newbie who could not get off the ground and worse comes to worse kill ALL your passengers!! What do you voip or type in then? "i'm sorry" ...as the DEAD ONES write or voip the expletives they think you deserve. In regards to this game it seems that the turn right/left does not work correctly on my Logitech 3d. I deleted that part and use on the roll l/r. Wide turns but better than nothing. The accelerater keys (pgUP/pgDN) have to be used as my joystick pot does not get recognized. I'm no programmer but since the mouse is pretty universal in its operation is the three axis joystick so different?

Throttle is a little weird in this game. I do have rudder pedals and throttle and joystick in this game all working fine. It will support more even that that because it seems to recognize even more axis's on my HOTAS Cougar, but I don't use them.

Another complaint, it only recognizes a fraction of the Cougar's 32 DirectX buttons, forcing you to have to program the Cougar if you want to use all of them.

-X

I have also a problem with a simple sidewinder joystick: I have a nice working throttle for aircrafts. Also the knobs for changing weapons and the view works fine, fire button also works. All other keymapping inside the option window for aircraft steering ("nose up", "nose down", "bank left", "bank right") is displayed by appropriate joystick x and y axis - but is not working with aircrafts. On the other hand, I made no change in the vehicle steering of groundvehicles, but I can enter a truck and steer it with the joystick - without a working throttle in this case - I have to use the default keys. Is that a problem with specific sticks and - more important - is there a joystick without this problems? Cant be a driver problem so far, using this stick with Flightsimulator gives no problem at all, it works fine as it should. Any help appreciated.

I have a very annoying problem with my joystick, logitech extreme 3d pro. Whenever I start a game and joystick is unplugged I have to redefine the controls to use it, as ARMA2 for some reason removes assigned buttons from profile as if the joystick were never available. Or I have to restart the game specificly because it was unplugged so arma 2 could "remember" the keys again, which is very,very inconvenient, especially in multiplayer, when you find yourself in the seat of helicopter or plane and find that stick is out, then you start to fumble with options and it gets you killed 3 of 4 times.

I have a very annoying problem with my joystick, logitech extreme 3d pro. Whenever I start a game and joystick is unplugged I have to redefine the controls to use it, as ARMA2 for some reason removes assigned buttons from profile as if the joystick were never available. Or I have to restart the game specificly because it was unplugged so arma 2 could "remember" the keys again, which is very,very inconvenient, especially in multiplayer, when you find yourself in the seat of helicopter or plane and find that stick is out, then you start to fumble with options and it gets you killed 3 of 4 times.

I get the same behavior. Some games allow a joystick to be plugged into the pc after game launch (Lego star wars for example). I am not sure why it forgets the key mappings when you do this as it remembers as you said when you restart with it plugged in.

I guess just remember to have it plugged in when you start the game. I doubt with all the dev work going on with the game currently much will be done about it, although it would be another great improvement in my opinion.

I would still love to see force feedback level slider implemented as per my signature. I don,t think it's even force feedback, just the ability to adjust the return to zero tension in your profile.