It would be great if someone could make a basic scripting manual for noobs! :P

I synched the ACM to myself and rode around on a bicycle for a good twenty minutes. Towards the end I saw some tracer rounds hitting an enemy APC, and then some similarly disembodied ordnance exploded nearby, but it was deathly quiet both before and after that.

Is the default intensity at minimum? I have yet to find any tutorials for the editor or its modules. Just like the Valve Developer Community, modding wikis assume that the reader is at least competent in the topic. Any pointers?

Alex72, I've used your code a few pages back to add examples to the Ambient Combat Manager Functions on the Biki.

Alex72, I've used your code a few pages back to add examples to the Ambient Combat Manager Functions on the Biki.

How do those functions work? Is there a field I can paste them into in the editor? Are those console commands only, are they script files made from outside the game?

Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to keep the ACM active forever in a mission.

Like I want to create a MP mission with player respawn and the ACM synced to every Player in the Mission.

But I don't want the ACM to stop working when one or all Player died because they're gonna be respawned after say 30 seconds.

So can anyone tell me how to do that, plz??

or is it impossible to keep the ACM alive even when the Player it is synced to respawnes after a short while??

How do those functions work? Is there a field I can paste them into in the editor? Are those console commands only, are they script files made from outside the game?

You can run them in the init.sqf as Alex stated in his post listing the functions.

You can run them in the init.sqf as Alex stated in his post listing the functions.

I pasted Alex's code (minus the //explanation lines and with 500,1000 for distance) into a text file named init.sqf, which I placed in the Mission folder of a preexisting mission.

It didn't do anything, though. I also edited the code so that USMC was not on the spawned faction list- yet I came across a pair of humvees. Basically I ran into a helicopter or APC every half hour. Does that sound like intensity 1?

I pasted Alex's code (minus the //explanation lines and with 500,1000 for distance) into a text file named init.sqf, which I placed in the Mission folder of a preexisting mission.

It didn't do anything, though. I also edited the code so that USMC was not on the spawned faction list- yet I came across a pair of humvees. Basically I ran into a helicopter or APC every half hour. Does that sound like intensity 1?

Yeah I'm also curious as I took CDF out of the faction list and I saw a friendly Mi8 fly over, also the intensity as you said doesn't seem to have changed anything, mine's been set to 1-100 with no difference between the two. I wonder if these settings are actually doing anything at all.

also the intensity as you said doesn't seem to have changed anything, mine's been set to 1-100 with no difference between the two. I wonder if these settings are actually doing anything at all.

The value is suppose to be between 1 and 0. Think that might be the problem :p

Even at a setting of 1 though, it isn't exactly a massive battle.

You can still have multiple instances of ACM and link them to different units/groups, so after a short time you should indeed feel like in a massive battle. (tip: create some observer-hint-script using allUnits to check the spawned units)

Though my test mission (that is the nth-ACM's) stopped working, after I've set up my 3rd or 4th ACM.. Somehow I got the impression that only three of them would work (testing by restricting the groups each ACM should spawn)... The forth would only start to work the moment I would delete the first one... But I wasn't too sure about it and too annoyed too, so I didn't dig any further, hehe. But give it a try ;)

The value is suppose to be between 1 and 0. Think that might be the problem :p

Thanks I know that now, it was just mentioned somewhere on here that putting it on 100 helps.

You can still have multiple instances of ACM and link them to different units/groups, so after a short time you should indeed feel like in a massive battle. (tip: create some observer-hint-script using allUnits to check the spawned units)

Would this work with several ACM logics synced to one group or would it have to be several groups? I asked because the mission I'm making only has one playable group.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm also curious as I took CDF out of the faction list and I saw a friendly Mi8 fly over.

me to, wants to know why USMC keeps spawning while they are removed form the list

Uhh... I have the factions-part of the init.sqf set to:

[["RU", "INS", "USMC", "CDF"], BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setFactionsFunc;

But when I start the map, the only factions to spawn are the USMC and Russia. Never the the Chedaki or CDF... Why? :butbut:

Edited by St!gar

Would this work with several ACM logics synced to one group or would it have to be several groups? I asked because the mission I'm making only has one playable group.

As I understood, you can only have one ACM linked to a group. The moment you attach another instance to a group, the former shuts down.

I guess you have to improvise by either splitting your one group (HighCommand or have some units just follow you; or you could create an unarmed UAV following you too, etc..) or create some hidden units around the area of your mission and attach another ACM to him... you could write a script and setPos'him to follow your group at distance...

Im at work and didnt have time to read through it all. But if some kind soul heard or read about applying ACM to certain areas - if its possible would be nice to know. :) Like the UPS script by Kronzky, but using the ACM to populate certain villages etc with it.

Possible yet?

Alex

Alex72,

I'm pretty sure it is possible but I haven't completely figured it out yet. I think there's a way to add areas the are restricted for use by the ACM. I think it's done by places a marker and giving it a certain name. It's not exactly the same thing as applying ACM to certain areas but I'm pretty sure you can restrict the ACM from appearing in certain areas.

Also I'm pretty sure you can set which towns are hostile/friendly to a certain faction/side or whether or not citizens will take up arms against a side that starts killing them.

This module seems like it's gonna add a ton to the game, now I just gotta learn how to use it. ;)

I am wildly confused after reading through all of these pages.

Do I have to write custom script files(which I know nothing about) and place them in a certain folder in order to get ACM to work?

It was my understanding that I could go as simple as creating 1 person to spawn(me), then putting an ACM on the map next to me and syncing it to my self. At that point I could walk around, or drive around the map and randomly encounter some fights.

But this hasnt happened. What are the very basics to get ACM to work just so I can get a basic test working.

waitUntil {!isNil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"}};
waitUntil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"};

//Sets frequency and number of patrols (0-1). BIS_ACM is module name
[1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setIntensityFunc;  

//min max spawn distance
[bIS_ACM, 700, 1000] call BIS_ACM_setSpawnDistanceFunc;

//factions to be spawned
[["RU"], BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setFactionsFunc;

//Skill range for spawned units
[0, 0.6, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setSkillFunc;

//Amount of ammo spawned units possess
[0.2, 0.7, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setAmmoFunc;

//Type of patrol. With 0 meaning no chance of appearing, and 1 meaning 100% chance. -1 removes patrol type completely.
["ground_patrol", 1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc;
["air_patrol", 0, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc;

Does nothing but spawn BTR-90's and BMDs, wheres the infantry patrols; and why if they do spawn (the BTR-90s), are they so infrequent (ie one enemy per 30minutes of gameplay).

@Rommel

Maybe the distance spawned was far.. then the move about all over the place and by chance you only found one of them? Did you test on chernarus or utes?

waitUntil {!isNil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"}};
waitUntil {BIS_ACM getVariable "initDone"};

//Sets frequency and number of patrols (0-1). BIS_ACM is module name
[1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setIntensityFunc;  

//min max spawn distance
[bIS_ACM, 300, 600] call BIS_ACM_setSpawnDistanceFunc;

//factions to be spawned
[["RU"], BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setFactionsFunc;

//Skill range for spawned units
[0, 0.6, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setSkillFunc;

//Amount of ammo spawned units possess
[0.2, 0.5, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setAmmoFunc;

//Type of patrol. With 0 meaning no chance of appearing, and 1 meaning 100% chance. -1 removes patrol type completely.
["ground_patrol", 1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc;

["air_patrol", 1, BIS_ACM] call BIS_ACM_setTypeChanceFunc;

Is there anyway I can give them who spawn out a waypiont?

Like move or search and destroy waypoint order?

If the scripting isn't working for any of the other newbs out there (like me), a far better way of running a high intensity ACM is opening a Random Scenario, type Basic and setting the AC to High in the Parameters tab. You can also give yourself a tank.

The map is usually cluttered by helicopter patrols, with occasional APCs and rare infantry groups. I even got blown up by T-90s once.

If the scripting isn't working for any of the other newbs out there (like me), a far better way of running a high intensity ACM is opening a Random Scenario, type Basic and setting the AC to High in the Parameters tab. You can also give yourself a tank.

Uhh... yeah. Or you can, you know, make an init.sqf and paste what has already been posted into it. There's no difference.

Uhh... yeah. Or you can, you know, make an init.sqf and paste what has already been posted into it. There's no difference.

Read the thread, it doesn't always work. I'm sure there's a reason for that, but no one seems to be taking guesses.

hey just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on how the custom group lists works.

The ACM is brilliant i just want to limit the types of groups it spawns!

Say BIS_ACM is my ACM's name, then:

[bIS_ACM, [ what goes here ]] call BIS_ACM_addGroupClassesFunc;

I tried this for example:

[bIS_ACM, [CDF_MotInfSquad]] call BIS_ACM_addGroupClassesFunc;

to limit it to only spawning that type of group

but it doesn't work

i'm new to scripting so any help would be great!

I have a simple question.

Im under the assumption that you can only have 1 init.sqf in a mission folder so if I have other stuff in an init.sqf for example

[] execVM "briefing.sqf"

where would I put the code Alex provided in relation to existing stuff like my briefing?