Sign in to follow this  
The Masta

How do I setup the UAV?

How do I setup the UAV in the editor?

I put in the UAV, the UAV station and the UAV manager and sync them but nothing happens, can someone please tell me how this works?

Edited by The Masta

Had some trouble with it at first, but got it working. :)

- Add flying UAV to the map (no waypoints)

- Add EMPTY UAV terminal (can be found under warfare buildings, pick the side you are on USMC, CDF etc.)

- Add the UAV module to the map

- Syncronize (F5) the module to the UAV, the player and the UAV terminal

- Start the mission and use the action menu at the UAV terminal

Thank you very much.

Is there a way to let it fly at an higher altitude?

Edited by The Masta

Thank you very much.

Is there a way to let it fly at an higher altitude?

Yes in the Initialization of the MQ-9 UAV put this in.

this flyinheight 500

That make it fly at 500 m

Nevermind, you can set the altitude and speed of the UAV yourself (using q,y and w,s).

Oh man that gave me a silly idea. using the new attach feature and place the UAV terminal on a vehicle that you can drive around :p

Cool, thanks I got it working, just too bad it's still kinda useless since there si no gyroscope.

Oh man that gave me a silly idea. using the new attach feature and place the UAV terminal on a vehicle that you can drive around

Sounds like a cool idea!

You dont have to use UAV terminal, just take a empty vehicle (or object).

I use a Kamaz utility truck for Pchela-1T.

You dont have to use UAV terminal' date=' just take a empty vehicle (or object).

I use a Kamaz utility truck for Pchela-1T.[/quote']

Thats great that it doesn't have to be a terminal, lets you create a sort of mobile command center with the HQ vehicles.

I've encountered a bug with the UAV though, I was playing a mission on utes that was set to very early morning so I was using night vision goggles, when I'd activate the UAV it would continuously force my NV on which made the display very glitchy and unreadable, it worked fine in the daylight though, and I haven't tested it at night time when the player character has no NVGs.

By the way, the UAV is not just useful for being able to look around, bring up the map while viewing its camera and any units it knows about will get highlighted with markers.

Edited by MechaStalin

Info about UAV added to Biki:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/UAV

Just a dumb question here, something I've seen before but never knew exactly where I put the parameters.

Per UAV Biki entry:

Optional parameters

Set variables to UAV manager with desired values:

* name = <string>; - name of UAV (displayed in action menu)

Example: BIS_uav_0 setvariable ["name","RQ-1 Predator"];

Default value: empty string

* rules = <array>; - Rule which defines which units with have access to UAV. Can be either list of specific units or whole side.

Example: BIS_uav_0 setvariable ["rules",[west,allied_gue_1]];

Default value: units synchronized in editor

* areasize = <number>; - Size of terminal area (area in which custom action will be displayed)

Example: BIS_uav_0 setvariable ["areasize",5];

Default value: 10

Where do I enter these examples? In the init line of the UAV module? Some where else? Sorry for such a basic question but I've never bothered to find this out.

I can't get the uav to work in multiplayer for some reason.

I added verything and i can access it, but my friend who joins (even though i linked his char also up with the manager, or he takes my character) can't use the action. I can switch to his character and he gets on mine, and still he cant use it, but i can. Something wrong with it?

Provac, the Wiki says:

"all linked empty (nonAI) objects serves as terminals. Units with access gets action once they are near terminals."

Sounds to me like you can use any object, which might just allow for vehicles too. You could for example use a command LAV as an UAV station, which isn't that far from reality since often UAVs are carried and deployed from special vehicles.

You can use any vehicle as a UAV terminal, but in order to get the UAV action the vehicle has to be completely empty.

OK, so ive set up a UAV and can access it, how do i control it, to say, spy on a village?

There is any way to disable the night vision ?

Edited by Ashka

An Idea, To be able to steer the uav more precisely Prepare chain of command Modules and sync the uav as a subordinate group. It Still circles aroud the Uav Modules ( the usual route) bot you are able to make it fly to the location you want and then it will come back to UAV Module default area :yay:

Btw. Is there any posobility to make an object that is invisible for enemy ? i dont mean some stealth etc. I just want enemy units to ignore UAV as it is shot down all the time, and yes it's supposted to respawn but it does not, intstead i get a super long loading screen that never ends when i choose uav option.

Edited by mwsteve

OK, so ive set up a UAV and can access it, how do i control it, to say, spy on a village?

When in UAV control mode (at the terminal) call up the map screen and left click on the village or whatever, it will circle that area (you can also see the waypoints of the uav on the map).

Anyone here had any luck getting a steady view of the area? It's impossible to keep the camera on the target with the mouse when the uav makes a turn. Some kind of target lock is essential to make it useful. It helps if you let it fly higher, but there is no way you can reliably use the laser marker. You are lucky if you are able to mark an interesting spot with B. The all or nothing zoom is kinda bad too. If there is a "lock camera on one point" option I have missed please let me know.

Oh, and one last thing, where do the missiles go the MQ-9 carries? Am I supposed to mark a target with the laser pointer after firing a missile?

Tested the UAV a bit at a friends and it certainly needs improving. Camera needs to be lockable as its impossible to spy with it properly. The reason it gets detected and shot down is because its too low in altitude, but i tested telling it to go higher wich worked great until it "saw" an enemy on wich it started to descend by itself and wobble so i couldnt see anything and it got shot down as a result.

I think make it invisible somehow would be a thing if it cannot be made to ignore "itself" and only listen to the UAV operator. Set in "Careless" so to speak all the time. Maybe thats doable by mission maker?

If the UAV gets lockable camera and if it ignores targets and only listens to UAV operator it will be a great tool on the battlefield! Hope BIS get it sorted. :)

Alex

72;1308802']The reason it gets detected and shot down is because its too low in altitude' date=' but i tested telling it to go higher wich worked great until it "saw" an enemy on wich it started to descend by itself and wobble so i couldnt see anything and it got shot down as a result.[/quote']

this setCaptive TRUE; this setCombatMode "BLUE"

Isnt it possible to lock the camera to a point when you're using the camera.sqs? I mean, maybe someone with more knowledge on these things could try and apply the same locking thing to the UAV controls?

72;1308802']Tested the UAV a bit at a friends and it certainly needs improving. Camera needs to be lockable as its impossible to spy with it properly. The reason it gets detected and shot down is because its too low in altitude' date=' but i tested telling it to go higher wich worked great until it "saw" an enemy on wich it started to descend by itself and wobble so i couldnt see anything and it got shot down as a result.

I think make it invisible somehow would be a thing if it cannot be made to ignore "itself" and only listen to the UAV operator. Set in "Careless" so to speak all the time. Maybe thats doable by mission maker?

If the UAV gets lockable camera and if it ignores targets and only listens to UAV operator it will be a great tool on the battlefield! Hope BIS get it sorted. :)

Alex[/quote']

ive tried setheight and flyinheight commands and it stays alive but like you said as soon as it sees a red dot on the redar it goes down like crazy and crashes. :(