Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

I seemed to fix my problems. No issues anymore. I just played around with it until i got it to work. I have the HD4890. Ill post my specs and maybe a screen shot of my graphics options menu in a few. Gonna do one more test.

problem with textures:

PC: amd phenom 925 x4 3ghz

HD 4850 1gb

4 gb of RAM

target line: -nosplash -cpuCount=2 -maxmem=2047 -noCB -winxp

I got this problem when stared to use LCD 22' lgw2243

before it i used CRT 17' with 1152x864.

first problem with lcd was that i got big fps drop on bigger resolution. And i couldnt play even on 1280x1024. then I installed lastest ATI drivers, and now fps is good for me.

But i has big problem with textures. In MP i cant recognise friedlies from enemys, vodnik looks like a box... what can be here?

This exacly same kind of problem that i have. Very bad LOD problems from day one. It must be ati related thing. I have thought that it's more like an feature than problem, but if anybody know cure for that it would be great.

Btw... I have tried PROPER texture mods. Very high propermod will cure problems for me, but fps goes way too low and it makes game unplayable. :j:

I seemed to fix my problems. No issues anymore. I just played around with it until i got it to work. I have the HD4890. Ill post my specs and maybe a screen shot of my graphics options menu in a few. Gonna do one more test.

dont' forget post how you fixed it and the differences and so on :)

I solved my flashing polys problem by replacing WinXP 32 with Win7 64-bit :D

My video card is a Radeon 4850 512MB

Seriously it's a little crazy to install another OS simply to get a game to run correctly.... :(

I give up. When the game first came out i had a texture problem and i had seemed to fix it somehow. Graphics were not set up HIGH but it was playable and still pretty impressive graphics compared to what i can get now. Just recently got back into the game messed around with the settings a bit and now i have terrible poly's and textures not loading. Thought i had it fixed.. i guess i shoudlnt have touched anything. Its just unplayable now. I wonder if BIS will do anything more for patches? I dont get how a damn decent pc with a decent card wont run the game well..Ive tried the -winxp and half of those other things. I am currently re downloading after a pc format to see if i cant get it to work this time around again..

HD4890 (WISH I NEVER BOUGHT)

ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.12 hotfix driver

We’ve also made the ATI Catalyst™ 9.12 hotfix driver available (a little later) today as well – there were some last minute fixes, plus a few more features we wanted to get out there as soon as we could!!

Grab it now at: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...912Hotfix.aspx

Highlights of the ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.12 hotfix release include:

• Support for the OpenCLâ„¢ GPU component of the ATI Stream SDK v2.0
      • The ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.12 hotfix release provides full support for GPU acceleration of OpenCL when used in conjunction with the ATI Stream SDK v2.0. This feature is supported on the ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5970 Series, ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5800 Series, ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5700 Series, ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4000 Series and the AMD FireStreamâ„¢ 9200 Series of products. For more information about ATI Stream technology and OpenCL, please visit http://www.amd.com/stream.

[*]Support for ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ on Eyefinity configurations

• The ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.12 hotfix release provides ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ support on Eyefinity configurations, allowing users to take advantage of their additional GPUs for increased gaming performance when driving high resolution Eyefinity display groups
      • Supported on the ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5970 Series, ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5800 Series, and ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5700 Series

[*]Support for DisplayPort audio

• The ATI Catalystâ„¢ 9.12 hotfix release adds support for DisplayPort audio for DisplayPort panels

[*]Fixes for the following issues:

• Resident Evil 5 – Performance drop during the opening cinematic
    • Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 – Performance drop observed with a supported ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ configuration when using the thermal scope
    • Wheelman – Game freezes while loading the game menu
    • Flashing in various OpenGL titles – City of Heroes, Enemy Territories: Quake Wars, Riddick
    • Heaven benchmark (DirectX 9 mode) – Grass flickers and white boarders observed around the edges
    • ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5970 Series, ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5800 Series, and ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 5700 Series – issue with HDMI: DTS-HD and Dolby True-HD not working properly with certain receivers
    • The desktop mouse cursor becomes enlarged at random when using Windows 7

Anyone tried 9.12 yet? Always wary of fixing what's not broken. 9.11 seems to work perfect for me. Any feedbacks?

Hello people, I have also a 4890 with the problem of bad graphics and performance. I bought it after reading some post about the performance of this card with ARMA2. Now I know that it´s fake. ATI sucks.

Hello people, I have also a 4890 with the problem of bad graphics and performance. I bought it after reading some post about the performance of this card with ARMA2. Now I know that it´s fake. ATI sucks.

Thats your opinion, I had a 4890 1Gb and I run the game all in very high, same FPS than later when i had a Nvidia 9600GT 512 with all very low.

So this graphic card is very good. Only i need to change my procesor to have nice FPS with all graphic options on very high.

Dont generalize about performance if ypu have a problem, i have no problems with this card.

PD: execept AA an some in high.

i use hotfixed 9.12 as they better than vanilla 9.12 for HD5xxx

9.12 drivers are horrible for the 4800 series, constant skipping & low fps drops around 17-20 on my 4850 as to where before I was getting 30-35 with 9.10. Reverted back to 9.10

Edit: If someone could get me a link for 9.11 drivers, that would be great, (32 bit, Media center, 4800 series) thanks.

9.12 drivers are horrible for the 4800 series, constant skipping & low fps drops around 17-20 on my 4850 as to where before I was getting 30-35 with 9.10. Reverted back to 9.10

Edit: If someone could get me a link for 9.11 drivers, that would be great, (32 bit, Media center, 4800 series) thanks.

I'm using the 9.10 drivers for my 4850 and I get the low fps drops aswell. Sometimes I can play for hours before it happens, sometimes only a few minutes. Using "flush" or alt-tab to re-load the graphics seems to reset the FPS back to normal but it also crashes about 50% of the time.

Tho this dind't happen for me untill the new patch was introduced, so I have no idea what has changed and what I must do to fix it.

Tip do play with 4800 series:

- Install CAT 9.12

- Change 2D display resolution below of monitor default resolution

- Go to CCC, DeskTop Displays, Configure First Monitor

- Enable GPU Scaling, Use Centered Timming, Apply

- Go to 2D Default Resolution

- Go to Arma2, change Resolution below of monitor default resolution (Ex. Default=1680, Change to 1440)

- Change the Arma2 settings to Normal (or High in some options)

- Overclock the CPU too.

Enjoy...

Edited by D3lta

Tip do play with 4800 series:

- Install CAT 9.12

- Change 2D display resolution below of monitor default resolution

- Go to CCC, DeskTop Displays, Configure First Monitor

- Enable GPU Scaling, Use Centered Timming, Apply

- Go to 2D Default Resolution

- Go to Arma2, change Resolution below of monitor default resolution (Ex. Default=1680, Change to 1440)

- Change the Arma2 settings to Normal (or High in some options)

- Overclock the CPU too.

Enjoy...

Could you kindly explain what does doing all that do for you please? It looks like a lot to do for no reported benefits except "Enjoy..."

Could you kindly explain what does doing all that do for you please? It looks like a lot to do for no reported benefits except "Enjoy..."

it left the picture as sharp as full rez, without use the crapola picture scaling of your display monitor .

the picture will be centered, not as big as the screen itself . a good compromise

it left the picture as sharp as full rez, without use the crapola picture scaling of your display monitor .

the picture will be centered, not as big as the screen itself . a good compromise

Yes, that's it.!!! Minor resolution, better performance, gpuscaling offer better iq. I play Arma2 with a Old E6400 and 4870-512MB, very well.

Wouldn't call it a fix, using the GPU scaling is just another way to play with lower resolution. Won't fix the crashes and fps drops, just give you a few extra fps (on some cards).

Wouldn't call it a fix, using the GPU scaling is just another way to play with lower resolution. Won't fix the crashes and fps drops, just give you a few extra fps (on some cards).

I don't have crashs with Arma2.

Hi,

I've been encountering a graphic bug where the screen flickers white rapidly. The first time I run ARMA 2 on a fresh reboot the game works fine; only when I have alt-tabbed or closed the game and started it up again it has this problem. Any ideas on what's wrong?

My OS is Windows XP Professional, CPU is an Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz, and video card is an ATI 4870X2.

"-Go to CCC, DeskTop Displays, Configure First Monitor". what to do here?

"-Go to CCC, DeskTop Displays, Configure First Monitor". what to do here?

Enable option "GPU Scaling"

and

choose "Use Centered Timming"

then

Apply.......

:)