Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

Mate this has been going on for months and months. It's pretty obvious that BIS don't give a damn or they'd have commented and done something. I think their policy is to ignore it and let us fix it ourselves, which sucks because this is a complicated problem and many of us don't know how to.

If only there was an extremely wealthy extremely agitated ArmA II gamer as the actions (or inaction) of BIS would definitely stand up in court.

WTF< anyways he got it sorted out, I think you have to wait out the Driver cycle of ATI, and the patch rate of BIS to get a fix for 512mb cards... tho i cant get the issue on my 512mb cards in X64 Os's...

And like suing would even work... pifft. The fastest way to fix the issue is to buy a 1gb card...

WTF< anyways he got it sorted out, I think you have to wait out the Driver cycle of ATI, and the patch rate of BIS to get a fix for 512mb cards... tho i cant get the issue on my 512mb cards in X64 Os's...

And like suing would even work... pifft. The fastest way to fix the issue is to buy a 1gb card...

x2*,

Bis also states that 1.04 is supposed to have "performance" fixes...fingers crossed

*Tangent: I guess "technically" you can play the game at the minimum requirement of 512 with everything set to low, but it looks worse then games from 1990...in my book this game should be minimum 1gig vram

x2*,

Bis also states that 1.04 is supposed to have "performance" fixes...fingers crossed

*Tangent: I guess "technically" you can play the game at the minimum requirement of 512 with everything set to low, but it looks worse then games from 1990...in my book this game should be minimum 1gig vram

The beta files are the ones that will be released so if its not in the beta then don't expect a performance fix to be held back until final...

The beta files are the ones that will be released so if its not in the beta then don't expect a performance fix to be held back until final...

why not, why couldnt they put in performance... and NOT have us try it out first? But then a "fix" for 512mb cards wouldn't be a "performance" fix, it would be just a fix.

Unfortunately holding back 'suprise' fixes or enhancements does not give any benefit to BI or the customer. Yes, it would surely be a suprise if they held this sort of thing back but the fix would be better positioned in the beta trials to see what it breaks, if of course they wanted to fix this non issue for them.

Still on page 61 BI are not willing to join in the conversation with its cusstomers over this fault, it is such a shame and lack of regard for the 'minority ?' that are having this issue preventing them from enjoying an otherwise great game.

Any positive feedback with 9.7 or 9.8 cats over 9.6? I'm still on 9.6, since latter ones break Empire Total War AA.

<issue partially resolved by disabling HT in bios on my I7>

Edited by unsobill

still there (9.7). I am using 4850 with 512. Even on Utes (the first mission)...I wait for 9.9

Edited by telejunky

hey guys, something i tried last night and i thought texture flickering/popping was reduced. Reset CCC 3D settings to default and on the first setting "Standard settings" slide the bar to the middle, should read balance, leave other settings alone. Also reducing terrain detail to low/normal helped with my fps issue. Give it a try.

Just 'upgraded' from my Nvidia 8800 GTS 640MB to an ATI 4870 1GB - immediately got the same issue as you guys. Chuck my Nvidia back in, works fine. Pisses me right off. They should have fixed this by now. The 4870 is a really popular card so I felt by buying that I would be safe from having too many issues. The first game I play and I have issues! Not happy.

But who should fix this? Who did make the 'fault'?

I really don't know if i should be angry about ATI or BIS. It really gets on my nerves flying helicopter in an important moment and then i have to type FLUSH and wait 5 sec until the screen reappears...Never saw this prob in other games... :(

In the early days of Armed Assault there was it, too. But somehow he disappeared with third or fourth patch... Unfortunately this curse came back :(

arma1arma2bug.jpg

But who should fix this? Who did make the 'fault'?

I really don't know if i should be angry about ATI or BIS. It really gets on my nerves flying helicopter in an important moment and then i have to type FLUSH and wait 5 sec until the screen reappears...Never saw this prob in other games... :(

In the early days of Armed Assault there was it, too. But somehow he disappeared with third or fourth patch... Unfortunately this curse came back :(

1- have you cleaned your previous ati drivers before installing the 9.8 ati driver? use http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html

2- Try everest http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en&page=11 to benchmark your hardware and to make sure the 12v+ are supplying enough power or http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

2- If you can perform a clean install of win 7, then give it a try.

it would help if you post your system specs.

Just 'upgraded' from my Nvidia 8800 GTS 640MB to an ATI 4870 1GB - immediately got the same issue as you guys. Chuck my Nvidia back in, works fine. Pisses me right off. They should have fixed this by now. The 4870 is a really popular card so I felt by buying that I would be safe from having too many issues. The first game I play and I have issues! Not happy.

How long does it take from when you start the game until the glitches show up? I recently got a new PC with the same card, so far I haven't had any issues. Running with nearly every setting at "Very High" and the game was running great for the hour or two of gameplay I tried.

I'm still running the Cat 9.5 drivers that were on the disc. When my internet connection is working propwerly I'll consider trying newer ones.

Win7 64-bit, running the ArmA 2 beta patch.

I haven't had a single issue with my new 4870, EVER. I have no idea what you guys are talking about... :confused:

When I switched from my gtx260 to the 4870X2 and used default for video mem settings I get the above screens that telejunky has.When I use high or very high, I never have those issues. I've used cat 9.5 -> 9.8 hotfix and that only happened with default.

With the gtx260 I could use whatever setting with no artifacts.

It's an awesome game when it runs smooth but badly needs more optimizing.

@InFireBaptize

I give it a try with the driver sweeper. I never changed from NV to ATI, only X1950pro -> 4850. But even before ArmA 2 hit the shelves i already got my little baby :)

Due to my silent system I am using an Enermax Modu82+ 525W which should be more than enough :) Powerconsumption at gaming around 200W, so it stays cool.

my system

XP Prof

4GB DDR2 800 Mhz

Phenom II X4 3 Ghz (95W)

HIS 4850 512MB DDR3

Enermax Modu 82+ 525W

This is a very silent system. Using windows you can't hear the machine due to its 935 r/min cpu fan (scythe samurai z). Even my WD 6400AACS with its 5200 r/min decoupled (no accesnoise) is not audible, but more speed than my old WD 2500KS.

Edited by telejunky

So i uninstalled ati drivers, started in safe mode and used driversweeper. And then i installed catalyst 9.8. powered the fans to maximum, tried vanilla arma 2 and beta version.

bugassault_3.jpg

Looks really weird, happens even walking in chernogorsk. Sometimes it also gets that weird while being in the middle of the land. FLUSH definately helps for a minute, but this could not be the solution forever flushing every minute. Unfortunately i have not the time to change every setting/ resolution to look where and when it happens. Setting the videomemory to the lowest may help, but i just could try it a few moments and ArmA seems to look more ugly (very ugly lod...).

I have to learn for my exams like mathmathics and technical thermodynamics.

If i have the time, i give it a try :)

Edit: Looking at the sky sometimes it gives a clear view without any triangles, the other times it stops the flicker and just show them, but they don't move.

So i uninstalled ati drivers, started in safe mode and used driversweeper. And then i installed catalyst 9.8. powered the fans to maximum, tried vanilla arma 2 and beta version.

Looks really weird, happens even walking in chernogorsk. Sometimes it also gets that weird while being in the middle of the land. FLUSH definately helps for a minute, but this could not be the solution forever flushing every minute. Unfortunately i have not the time to change every setting/ resolution to look where and when it happens. Setting the videomemory to the lowest may help, but i just could try it a few moments and ArmA seems to look more ugly (very ugly lod...).

I have to learn for my exams like mathmathics and technical thermodynamics.

If i have the time, i give it a try :)

Edit: Looking at the sky sometimes it gives a clear view without any triangles, the other times it stops the flicker and just show them, but they don't move.

a lot of people with 512MB have this issue, maybe even lower your resolution and other settings. On the CCC try sliding the standard settings bar to performance/balance and watch what happens but do one thing at a time to test, good luck.

How long does it take from when you start the game until the glitches show up? I recently got a new PC with the same card, so far I haven't had any issues. Running with nearly every setting at "Very High" and the game was running great for the hour or two of gameplay I tried.

I'm still running the Cat 9.5 drivers that were on the disc. When my internet connection is working propwerly I'll consider trying newer ones.

Win7 64-bit, running the ArmA 2 beta patch.

The issues are constant, they don't come and go like most other people seem to report. I've brought the card into work today and put it on an XP 32bit system and the game works fine. So I guess it must be an issue with Windows 7 drivers for the graphics card. I will try and find some earlier drivers like you suggested but its very frustrating! I have the latest from the ATI website at the moment. Where is the beta patch? I looked on the arma website last night and couldn't find anything newer than 1.03? http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

When I get home I'll have to dig up my old drive with Win XP installed and give it a whirl on that. Least now I know I don't have a faulty graphics card I guess!

The issues are constant, they don't come and go like most other people seem to report. I've brought the card into work today and put it on an XP 32bit system and the game works fine. So I guess it must be an issue with Windows 7 drivers for the graphics card. I will try and find some earlier drivers like you suggested but its very frustrating! I have the latest from the ATI website at the moment. Where is the beta patch? I looked on the arma website last night and couldn't find anything newer than 1.03? http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=en

When I get home I'll have to dig up my old drive with Win XP installed and give it a whirl on that. Least now I know I don't have a faulty graphics card I guess!

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Will, what size card are you testing?

Try turning down the clock speed, maybe it's getting over heated... Get CCC or GPUz and post temps. I run ArmA 2 at about 55 C, which is a little warm, without any problems.

HD 4870 w/ 512 GDDR5. :raisebrow: