Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

Actually i clarified my issue, and it appears to be simple resolution only. If i put it to 1440 900 it is absolutly crap, but at one lower its fine. ?!

at start, the loading of the scene is faster than 9.7 . tree , house texture , and ground appears "instantly"

well i see clear smoothness improvements with and without AA using 9.8 drivers on HD3xxx and 4xxx cards under XP 32bit and Seven 64bit

well i see clear smoothness improvements with and without AA using 9.8 drivers on HD3xxx and 4xxx cards under XP 32bit and Seven 64bit

Maybe so but the graphical artifacts are still there. Which HD3xxx card are you testing on btw under XP32 ?

Maybe so but the graphical artifacts are still there. Which HD3xxx card are you testing on btw under XP32 ?

only HD3870 i dont have any older from 3xxx serie

this could be the solution for all the people who are having issues with artifacts:

Downclock your ati through ccc override feature to test, artifact, freezes, CTD is a temperature/PSU issue, monitor your card temperature through third party software.

this could be the solution for all the people who are having issues with artifacts:

Downclock your ati through ccc override feature to test, artifact, freezes, CTD is a temperature/PSU issue, monitor your card temperature through third party software.

Sorry but the CCC overdrive only overclocks in my version, what version do you have that allows underclocking ?

Default clocks = same issues.

Thrott :) your ccc overdrive can clock down to 600/450 or that is the case with my 4870.. you just move the slider backwards from where u see it as defaulted... so anything less is underclocked..

capturewne.png

hiu..if i used autotune is better than tune it by my self or not?4850 1gig...

auto tune is messed up, it gives unrealistic clocks, use att to stress test.

exuse me..what is att..:)

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

exuse me..what is att..:)

i have 2 qustions..could u answer me?

ati tray tools

sorry..i have to download it or allready i have it?

ok thanx...could u help me...my system is xp 32bit..4 gig ram..ati4850 1gig...cpiu 3.4 dual core full catch...my fps 15 and too low..is my system is bad or somting else is here...dirver all update..

only HD3870 i dont have any older from 3xxx serie

I thought they got released at the same time November 2007 but ok, was just clarifying your statement on testing on the 3xxx and 4xxx series, I thought you did extensive testing on the range, you mean you tested on a HD3870 in the 3xxx series and your HD4870 from the 4xxx series. Lots of differences in the range from 256MB to 2GB which would make all the difference.

Someone should mention the issues with sometimes vista and win7 where installing ATT does not work correctly due to driver signing?

If I remember there was a hack/workaround to stop the OS ballsing up the install and running of such tool..

Enlighten me if this has changed.

i found a tool that does that overrides driver signing issues on vista(64) while trying to get my ps3 controller to work with Windows so i could play Crysis:

the drivers "work" (the pc recognizes it and will even config/calibrate it) unfortunatly after i got windows to work with the thing, i found out that Crysis only supports the Xballz360 controller. bitches

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

is there a way to get this game out of fullscrean mode?

Hello Everybody,

I seemed to have found a workaround for my CTD and white/missing texture issues running Arma2. It seems Arma2 doesn't like the ATI 4870x2 1GB drivers right now, so I disabled the secondary ATI 4870x2 adapter. Here are the steps I took: (NOTE:accomplish these steps at your own risk as a mistake could leave you without a working video adapter, some of your other games might not work right, or many other problems I haven't thought of - however you could always boot into VGA safe mode and reinstall ATI catalyst drivers if problems did occur)

1. bring up device manger, display adapters.

2. in device manager, right click on the secondary "ATI Radeon HD 4870x2" device and select "disable". at the "disabling this device will cause it to stop functioning" prompt, click "yes".

*note - the secondary adapter may be the first adapter listed in device manager depending on your specific situation

3. reboot. run Arma2 and if you see any invisible/missing textures like I did, lower the video memory setting in Arma2 (mine is set to "normal" - I believe by disabling 1 adapter you might effectively reduce available video memory by half, even if ATI control panel utility reports 1GB.

4. If this works for you, drink a beer to celebrate. Or if under 21 and in the US, drink a nice cold glass of water to celebrate. If it doesn't work, patiently/sadly wait for ATI or BI to address the issue.

Here's a brief overview of my system, ATI control panel, and Arma2 settings if that helps:

System:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz

memory: 2GB RAM

video: ATI 4870x2 1GB

ATI settings:

driver: catalyst 9.8 drivers from quakecon2009 (I'm willing to bet catalyst 9.7 drivers will work this way too)

3d settings:

standard settings: custom...

AA: app managed

AF: app managed

catalyst AI: disabled - probably doesn't matter now as we've disabled the other adapter

mip map: HQ

wait for vert refresh: always off

adapt AA: disabled

open GL: triple buffering unchecked

force max performance clocks(new in 9.8?): enabled -probably doesn't matter either way

Arma2 video settings:

texture detail: normal

video memory: normal

AF: normal

AA: normal

By no means is this an optimized setup, experiment with all settings to find what works for you.

Edited by Mosrite65
found that disabling secondary adapter was enough to fix my issues

ok thanx...could u help me...my system is xp 32bit..4 gig ram..ati4850 1gig...cpiu 3.4 dual core full catch...my fps 15 and too low..is my system is bad or somting else is here...dirver all update..

are you running the game on high settings? lower the settings and try again. If that failed then i would upgrade to win 7 64 bit. to take advantage of the 4g of ram you use. I would do a fresh install of win 7 not an upgrade, just be aware that win 7 will expire next year on June 1, 2010.

To download win 7, go to the bottom of the page make sure you select -your language- under 64 bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

I don't have time to read this whole thread, but I'd like to add my experiences:

After installing my new ATI 4890 video card & reinstalling Windows, I had a couple of encounters with the video geometry corruption as seen in the original post, most frequently in town. After changing the video memory setting to very high, I have not since encountered the bug.

System:

Windows XP SP3

Gigabyte P35-DS4 @ 475 MHz FSB

E8400 @ 3800 MHz

2x2048MB Corsair DDR2 @ 475 MHz @ 5-5-5-15, tRD 8

Sapphire 4890 @ 850 MHz, 1024MB @ 975 MHz

X-Fi Fatality PCI

Hello Everybody,

I... It seems Arma2 doesn't like the ATI 4870x2 1GB drivers right now, ...

I use two ATI 4870x2 ( they have 2gb each). They run great.

my current cfg:

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1792;

Resolution_H=1344;

refresh=90;

Render_W=1792;

Render_H=1344;

FSAA=2;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=32;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=2136342528;

nonlocalVRAM=2136342528;

Vysnc is off in XP64. -maxmem=2047 is the used Flag. The rest of my vidsettings are VH or H(shadows) Normal (AA) PP is off. VD is anywhere from 500 to 2500, i dont fly, tho 5k is a tax on my machine, so i really dont shoot over 700m if ever... 2500 is more than enough to play a grunt. And MP servers have caps or the mission does.

As i read this thread (man my head hurts) its all about 512mb cards and some 4gb or 8gb issue...

4890 w/ Cat. 9.8, Win 7 64 Bit here, no issues at all, previous Cat 9.7 - no issues.

Ask any questions you might have concerning the above setup &/or 4870; people with XP need no apply, since you should not be running that OS in the current environment.

hi...i playing the game setting low and and fps again 15 16 in the game...i use win 7 feresh...but again 15 or 16..setting low or normal....it seems i cant use 64 bit win 7 i dont no y....my cpu 3.4 ..

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

are you running the game on high settings? lower the settings and try again. If that failed then i would upgrade to win 7 64 bit. to take advantage of the 4g of ram you use. I would do a fresh install of win 7 not an upgrade, just be aware that win 7 will expire next year on June 1, 2010.

To download win 7, go to the bottom of the page make sure you select -your language- under 64 bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

hi...i playing the game setting low and and fps again 15 16 in the game...i use win 7 feresh...but again 15 or 16..setting low or normal....it seems i cant use 64 bit win 7 i dont no y....my cpu 3.4 ..