Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

I have a weird problem, I see artifacts only on pine trees :eek: Video card temp during game 45C

Everything should be build to work on a CONSOLE, Build a computer to game.

i thinks thats more like it.

There has been a 8gb issue going around since anybody and there mom can buy 8gb of ddr2 6400 for 60$. Sometimes its a Bios flash or voltage adjustment ,even RMA till the RAM works..., then the ATI issues(fixed in 9.4) ,ARMA1(fixed in 1.16b), and now ARMA2(seems to effect any set?). Its a know issue and is being worked on.

Maybe in 1.03.

You can work around it by booting with less, using msconfig. The game is worth putting 200$ aside to play when you play...

Well, i think you have a point there with the console and pc thing. But for me personaly i build a computer to work on. as a game doesn't work i don't remove stuff from it to be able to play.

On the other hand as you continue your story you talk about rebooting the system with less ram. That is possible as i want to see if it works. As it will work i can reboot the system using less ram to play the game and for other things i start it like normal. Thanks for the tip and trying it right after i post this.

For about the game updates...i use a demo to get impressed before i even think of buying a game so that update fix doesn't aply for me i guess.

Cheers.

edit:

Clownman or whatever your name was, thanks a lot! :) I lowered my 8gigs down to 2gigs in msconfig and it is working perfect! what a beauty of a game, now i understand what you said about putting 200 aside to play this game! Going to buy me a copy wooow!

Edited by Monomeester

edit:

Clownman or whatever your name was, ...

"KKlownboy" ( i hope to grow up to be a mighty Kklownman) capital K killer kklownboy

New patch and still no 8gig ram support???? same artifacts and black objects.

<<Waiting on img shack email to upload images>>

Tested on 1.02

Win Xp 32 SP3

HP dc7800p

2 gig ram

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33 Ghz

1 Gig XFX ATI 4850

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installed rivatuner. By default(and unexpectedly) it set my "max" video memory to 512. I didn't notice at first. Arma2 set to default memory size(to read the cfg). As soon as I tried to repro by flying through cherno artifacts appeared.

Closed down, updated rivatuner to allow 1024, deleted arma2.cfg opened and set mem to very high. Closed down, confirmed cfg file localvram was set to 1024(really 1024*1024*1024=1,073,741,824). Set file to readonly, reopened arma and reflew. No problem. Rivatuner was reporting max vram at ~760meg. As Brainbug(and others) noted, it just appears that 1 gig ati would artifact, if memory demand goes above 1,073,741,824.(I wasn't able to push past 760 meg, as my monitors only support 1280x1024, even with everything maxed, and view set to 10k!!)

To verify: Shut down again. This time, set localvram to 600(600*1024*1024=629145600). Artifacts. Vram according to rivatuner continued up to 650 meg.

Can someone with a 512 still in their system try changing their mem size to default, and update their config localvram to 805,306,368(768 meg ** please see disclaimer below), 402,653,184 (384 meg) and 268,435,456 (256 meg) to see if they still artifact? If not I will uninstall my gig, and test my "faulty"(my apologizes thr0tt :)) 512 sometime this week.

So, my current take is memory card fills up, and arma2 doesn't see it as full....

1.04 :pray:

** I have no idea if this will kill your card or not, but I'm thinking it shouldn't. My idea here is to make arma think there is more ram in the vram and see if that removes the artifacts. Again it's an experiment so not sure what would happen.

Edited by Daniel M
forgot to add 768 as a test

Sirex are you 100% sure? Set almost all settings to high and get yourself into a chopper at Cherno and fly around. I get the artifacts with this way within 30 seconds. Tested it out again right now, here we go:

arma2200908052224521.th.jpg arma2200908052225301.th.jpg

ATI 4850 with 512 MB, Windows XP, ATI Driver 9.7, Arma 2 v1.03

*edit*

@Daniel, yep, the software for that was rivatuner, it has good diagnostics features (that graphs).

http://downloads.guru3d.com/RivaTuner-v2.09-download-163.html

In my case, i know 100% its not an overheating issue, but yes if the graphic cards overheats you get exact the same graphic artifacts, but then in all games.

yes, im pretty sure. Before when i had everything on normal id get the exact situation you describe after about 30 seconds over the main towns, the net result is i had to have everything on low just to avoid filling the texture memory. Last night after patching i went directly to a chopper over the main city to test and after 10-15 mins, no problems, and that was with everything on high.

It may be that now crossfire is working for me its using 1gb ram rather than 512 on the one card and isnt hitting the limit any more ? - crossfire used to give me the recieving screen bug and flickering textures so i had to disable that too.

Either way, its gone from 60fps on low in cities with one card, to 50-60fps in high with two cards, so im happy enough for now.

i'll test it some more tonight.

not sure if this was mentioned in this thread, but change your AI in CCC to advance, i noticed fps increase when changing AA in CCC from box to wide tent, vsync to off, change to use application settings where applicable and minimap to quality, run the game and change video setting to very high if you have 512 MB or to default if you have 1GB and at the same time play with CCC settings (alt+tab) to switch back and forth and watch for any changes in the game.

Yep, new patch and now the game won't even launch!!!!!

Yep, new patch and now the game won't even launch!!!!!
thats odd, so you are using the ARMA2.exe 1.03, and not a 1.02 shortcut?

stupid thing to say really, the shortcut points to arma2.exe and regardless of 1.02 or 1.03 the arma2.exe is the same link.

remove a stick or two, arma2 doesn't really need that much ram until BI provides support for 8 GB for crying out loud.

thats odd, so you are using the ARMA2.exe 1.03, and not a 1.02 shortcut?

I was wrong to say the game won't launch. it does but stops working when I try to load the 'Manhatten' mission.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

I have a weird problem, I see artifacts only on pine trees :eek: Video card temp during game 45C

My gfx cards run at 70C during full load. - Normal mate.

CPU at 50C

NB at 55C.

Can someone with a 512 still in their system try changing their mem size to default, and update their config localvram to 805,306,368(768 meg ** please see disclaimer below), 402,653,184 (384 meg) and 268,435,456 (256 meg) to see if they still artifact?

I've tested your trick but still artifacts after 20-30 seconds over cities of south.

Are we sure that BI is working on this ?

Don't want to be rude, but with more than 40.000 views and 460 replies at this time, it's clearly a major problem.

The lack of communication on this specific bug, and the fact that this bug was already in Arma1 and fixed lately is really worrying.

See you next month to test with 1.04.

Monomeester TRY windows7.

I have found it just AMAZING for A2. Going from XP where I was getting artifacts and everything running on normal to Win7 where there are NO artifacts and I have EVERYTHING on Very High !!!!!

I am reading a lot of posts here recommending Win7 against WinXP. I have WinXP and facing all the major graphical issues with ATI 4850 series.

My nOOb question is: (dont flame me, I am no IT magician) Is is possible to install and run Win7 together with WinXP on one PC and use Win7 only for Arma and WinXP for the rest (both on 1 disk)? I am sick of only thinking about trashing all the data and reinstalling the entire system only to make ONE game work...Thanks!

PS: amazing, as of today, I have officialy spent more time trying to make the game work than actually PLAYING the game...

I am reading a lot of posts here recommending Win7 against WinXP. I have WinXP and facing all the major graphical issues with ATI 4850 series.

My nOOb question is: (dont flame me, I am no IT magician) Is is possible to install and run Win7 together with WinXP on one PC and use Win7 only for Arma and WinXP for the rest (both on 1 disk)? I am sick of only thinking about trashing all the data and reinstalling the entire system only to make ONE game work...Thanks!

PS: amazing, as of today, I have officialy spent more time trying to make the game work than actually PLAYING the game...

may i suggest a new internal hard drive preferably SATA if your motherboard supports one, install win 7 and arma2 on the new harddrive.

may i suggest a new internal hard drive preferably SATA if your motherboard supports one, install win 7 and arma2 on the new harddrive.

Thanks, but thats a definite "no":o) I have already purchased a new GPU (which didnt help:o) and I am definitely not going to buy any other piece of equipment only to get one (+*/-´=´) game going:o)))) But thanks for an idea!

Nevertheless, from your answer I understand that my idea of having WinXP and Win7 running on one disk is unreal...?:o)

absolutely not, you can get window to create another partition from within xp or during installation of win 7 but since you're not familiar with it i don't recommend you doing it unless you back up your entire existing drive before creating a new partition.

you can get a new hard drive for as low as $50 depending on size! i bought 250 GB for $80 which i also use as a back up.

Patch 1.03 is the best for my 4870-512!!! I don't have artifacts, amazing fps, no problems more with IQ... I`m using W7-64 and last Catalyst. Thanks Boehmia!!

Patch 1.03 is the best for my 4870-512!!! I don't have artifacts, amazing fps, no problems more with IQ... I`m using W7-64 and last Catalyst. Thanks Boehmia!!

can we get you to post details of your computer and settings, thanks.

Shai, more then likely you can partition one drive and multiboot from it. But considering your IT magician comment I think infire's suggestions is easiest to implement :).

Kobalt, thank you for trying. Did it seem like the artifacts appears faster/slower/no apparent change when you dropped the local vram to 256?(I feel like an optrician).

I agree with you that this is a royal pain, and some feedback would be appreciated. Though I'm not sure at this point if ATI or BIS should be responding. One or the other would be great, both would be better :D

Since i'm sure we won't get any response from either, anyone here good at programming? I'm sure a program could be created that would try to "overfill" the card to see if we get the same results...I think we could then conclusively state that ATI or BIS is responsible for patching.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I think someone posted before that windows 7 fixes the issue....

Everyone else that is still getting it, are you still on win xp 32 bit?

Congrats though

I'm guessing and could be totally wrong, but wouldn't vista/win 7 be using the calls to directx 10. Vs xp only being able to go up to 9?

Yay editing:

Kobalt, I just reread your response. Was arma1 fixed by a patch from bis or from ati?

Edited by Daniel M

Intel E6400@3445 - 4870-512@814/940 - 4GB - P5B-DLX - LOGITECH G15 - CM690 - SAMSUNG 2232BW - CORSAIR 620w

:)

Now, my settings is veryhigh for all, nice!!!

Has anyone with the 512 artifacts tried running directx setup off of the disc? I just ran it and it installed. Whenever i tried to install the "latest" from microsoft it said i already had the latest? But off the dvd installed?? no idea if it fixes anything, as i still have my gig in...

Has anyone with the 512 artifacts tried running directx setup off of the disc? I just ran it and it installed. Whenever i tried to install the "latest" from microsoft it said i already had the latest? But off the dvd installed?? no idea if it fixes anything, as i still have my gig in...

I think the redistributable only overwrties the files it came with whereas the M$ site checks and doesn't make any changes, this is so game manufacturers can assure that you have the correct DX files installed. DX games are programmed to use a certain version of the DX release I believe so installing a later version will not make the game use any later files as it will have pointers to the 'February DX9 Redist (or whatever) rather than the 'July DX9 Redist' etc.

The game engine has an issue with the way it is addressing memory, it is a problem when it fills and does not clear the used space and tries to overwrite frames which causes corruption. Due to the way memory is addressed and only seems to appear on 'some' systems it would seem that it is a tricky little bugger to rectify thus BI have not entertained a fix or discussed what they could be doing. I think we are all going to have to live with it, those who are unable to work around, buy new cards etc. should look at returning the game if they are able or seeking a refund directly with BI (which they would ignore).

That's my say.

The problem i was experiencing are not artifacts it's something wrong with the pine tress, the texture of those trees is covered in small holes. When trees move it makes it look like those white artifacts you see on overheating video cards. :butbut: