Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

yea and this is 9.5 drivers i havent tryed it with older ones, dont realy think it will help:mad:

@kuss - go into the advanced video options, and turn 'video memory' to default and see if this fixes the problem. when 'video memory' is set to high, it only utilizes around 512mb of graphics chip set memory. By setting it to 'default' it checks the current amount, and uses as much as is avaliable. (I think thats the right description right?)

Please post back if you get any strange artifacts and glitches, as I am encountering this error. For ATI users (I think its only us getting the issues) there is a new driver coming out on the 10th of June that should apparently fix this issue, according to Ohara, please edit if I misunderstood what he said.

For what its worth guys this problem also exsists on my HIS ATI Radeon X1650 PRO 512mg AGP card. when it occurs youcan be facing a particular direction and turn and everything is back to normal. turn back and the problem returns or even moving into a particular spot triggers it the two steps back and it disappears again.

...there is a new driver coming out on the 10th of June that should apparently fix this issue, according to Ohara, please edit if I misunderstood what he said.

Ahh my heart.... i missed this post when reading through this topic.

That is really great to hear!!!

I assume BIS Devs are in contact with ATI/Nvidia?

10th of June.... lets see when my 4890 arrives :p:D

Yeah 10th of June, but AGP users, like I am, keep in mind that we need to wait two or more weeks longer, because we always need a hotfix driver version for our AGP graphics cards! They are not officially supported by ATi. Only PCie cards are! :(

Im glad Im building a new rig for this game. My p4 3.4 gig and ati X1650 pro are getting to old lol

I have the same problem when i want to increase the view distance. When i get back to default (1600m) everything returns normal... I hope this problem will be solved with the next update of drivers and/or ArmA2 :)

(WinXP SP3, Q9400, ati 4850 and 4gb of RAM inside).

i think its to do with DX3D im on verson 8.14 and my m8 is on 7.14 and his game work ok..........

i think its to do with DX3D im on verson 8.14 and my m8 is on 7.14 and his game work ok..........

dx3d? You mean dx3d.dll?

na in the CCC/info center/gfx software

Just for info. I am using Cats 9.4 after doing a load of cleaning the newer drivers out etc. Lets hope the new 9.6's do the job.

yea init iv got no hair left on me boby coz iv been trying to get it to work lol

GET CCC 9.5! It solved my problem immediately.

GET CCC 9.5! It solved my problem immediately.

9.5 is the DRIVER VERSION! Not the CCC version! I have 9.5. It solved nothing for me.

Noooooooooooooo damn it.... i just ordered a ATI HD 4890 exclusively for Arma2....

Don't tell me Arma2 and ATi will have issue forever like Arma1 had with ATI.....

I've just bought this card too and my game crashes. It seems to be a problem with d3dx9.dll, i'll try to reduce the video memory option...

Edit : Ok now I can't launch the game anymore...

Edit : It seems that putting the "video memory" option in default instead of very high allows me to play again and in better conditions.

Edited by Kr3v

Just for info. I am using Cats 9.4 after doing a load of cleaning the newer drivers out etc. Lets hope the new 9.6's do the job.

I use 9.4 as well and I have not had a single crash with 4890, then again I keep my view distance at just under 3000m - maybe that's why?

Peace,

DreDay

Intresting to find this thread as since yesterday i share the problems described here :(

I got a HD 4879 512MB by Sapphire, first series of the HDs i think so stock cooler and everything unmodified.

Yesterday i played the campaign mission where you assault the industrial complex ( Chernogorsk? ) and the fun started when i saw how every lil detail in the landscape started to load slowely and go trough all its lods slowly till all was there.

After a while these nice wildly flickering effects started, with using -flush comand ingame it helped but you would have to do it every minute basicly, really seems like the video memory isnt clean or as said clutters up baddly especialyl in such a detailled enviroment as this industrial complex.

If i dont have the flickering issue i have constant texture loading and sometimes lods that pop up very late.

Intrestign is that later in the last weeks of ArmA in had similar problems on Sahrani and islands that used Objects and textures from Sahrani but there it happend when i looked ina certain direction, game wasnt running too smooth but once you turned into that direction it started to flicker wildly even in big open countryside, look away its gone, look again and its there again, very odd, reinstalled and for a few days it worked but then was back again.

Temps of the card worried me a bit because in FUR mark it shows me a nearly constant 86 - 88 degrees of heat, however from different people i heard that the HD4870s seem to be cards that always get very hot and i shouldnt bother.

In the FUR mark stresstest on 1680 x 1050 and 4xFiltering i didnt get any artifacts though so card seems ok.

In the campaign missions before, the training and missions on Utes itself i didnt had any probs not even on all settings high ( apart from post processing as that looks horrible on mid and high ).

In the end i guess the drivers are indeed to blame as this seems connected to me installign the system freshly and adding latest ATI drivers yesterday before playing.

Hope the next patches and new ATI drivers really help as this is totally destroying my fun i had before.

Always liked ATI but i guess the saying that ATI is good but their drivers suck baddly miost of the time is really true.

As much as i like the card in other games ArmA2 is my most important one so i guess sooner or later ill switch to a Nvidia again :/

--- My System

Win XP SP2 freshly installed with all drivers updated to newest.

AMD Phenom X4 9850 so 4 x 2,5

4 GB G-Skill PC-1000 DDR-2 Rams in Dual mode

HD 4870 512MB by Sapphire with latest Catalyst ( from 04.06. )

Lots of free HD space

Nothing overclocked or anything.

Question to the devs, is the Phenom problematic in ArmA2?

Or should i more worry about the HD4870 with only 512MB?

Yet it seems even people with lot older cards get better points in the ArmA mark than me :/

Edited by Shadow NX

Ok found the 'fix' I think. Basically its to do with these lines in the ArmA2.cfg:

localVRAM=536870912;

nonlocalVRAM=525074400;

If I set my AGP Aperture to 512MB I get no screen corruption and all drivers work with or without the noCB command. Anything less and the system displays the corruption as per OP and subsequent vids etc.

Not sure if you can do something with PCI-e ? But if you are AGP and can increase the size in your BIOS then do it. Issue with just changing the ArmA2.cfg is that it detects RAM when you start and modifies this file, not sure if changing it to RO will work.

Good luck all.

I had the same problem on my 4850, disabling any overclocking on the board (still oc on the bios) fixed the problem !!

Okay,

today i have started Arma 2 again to check if the problem is still there with the new Catalyst 9.6. And yes, its still there, unchanged problem. Exact the same problem situation and way to get it as before (shown at pictures and video).

What to do next Ohara?

Regards

Mariusz

There appear to be a couple of problems here, 1 is low speed LOD's and the other is massive screen artifacts if I read it correctly. I also believe this is only effecting a small amount of people so we may need to put up with this for a while.

Shadow NX it appear I have the same or at least similar

to you but with an Intel based system and the same graphics card (also 4870 512mb by Sapphire). Problem is I tested with my old 8800gtx and the same problem exists so it must be something within the engine?, Arma1 had a lot of vram issues as I remember and it looks like nothing has changed?.

:(

Oh please god no... I have a 4870 too and don't want this to happen.. I've already pre-ordered the game, I hope I didn't pay for a coaster...