Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

It looks that your GC have problems to load texture, try to set videomemory on normal or low. Check how is in your bios set speed of bus for your GC.

Thanks for looking into this thread.

problem occur: normal video memory & textures

problem did not occur yet: low video memory & textures

Iam not the only one, 4 people (including me) till now saw this thread and had this problem, different graphic cards, but all from ATI, 3xxx and 4xxx series.

I expect that its some problem of combination of your motherboard (chipset) and ATI driver (fragmentation of videomemory, texture load). Just for test, try to run game with

-window argument, maybe in that case will be videomemory handled different way.

My GC PCIE bus is at default value, not overclocked, 100

Motherboard is MSI P35 Neo2 FIR: North Bridge -> Intel Bearlake P35

Started ArmA2 windowed, problem did occur again, i went into the editor, set all settings to high, placed me into a helicopter over a city to get the error quickly and it did come very fast.

arma2windowed.th.png

Sreen shows that you have also corrupted 3D data in videomemory, uff dont know how to help you for now. Try -noCB argument just for test, game will be slower, but maybe it help, if not, we will need to wait for some repro to know more whats source of problems.

Amazing, I have been trying new drivers, new GART, old drivers, cleaning everything as I thought it was a driver issue. My HD3850 is doing the exact same thing !!

The only way currently to run the game without this is setting memory to low in game but this also means textures are low.

I have had this happen in ArmA recently too but on once since last beta patch. I can reproduce this in seconds if Devs want to contact me to test anything or send any reports.

Thr0tt.

Ok, tested this parameter as well. Problem did also occur again. When graphic settings are on low, problem does not happen.

You guys have maybe an ATI card (3xxx or 4xxx series) at your office? Can you guys also maybe ask ATI about this? Maybe they know already what the problem is. Thanks for your help ohara.

-noCB appears to help but I get more stuttering in game. I will keep testing for a while to see if this just delays the problem. What does noCB do ?

Thr0tt are you sure? This is what i do to get the error as fast as possible:

- max all graphic settings, everything on highest value, fillrate 100% is ok

- open Tschernarus in editor

- place you inside a chopper at biggest city in south at the coast

- fly around, low at the city, after max 60 seconds you get the error

When having the graphic settings on medium, it takes longer to get the erorr. When graphic settings are on low, the problem seems not to come.

Please doublecheck this.

-noCB turn off multicore drawing. I have 4870 , XP rrv9.3 here and no problem, we need to see it here under pix to know what happens :(

Thanks guys. I will take a look at the GPU temperature and report back. It truly gets very hot ... but I think it shouldnt be over 70 degrees. If this heating-thing is true can you suggest any software to controle the fan with? And why does this problem only occur in Arma? I played several games and none showed problems of this kind.

It may also help to say that sometimes framerates get lower when these things show up.

i run a 3850 at 100% 24/7, i am so use to it now that temps dont even go over 50c under load or 35-40 idle. I use RivaTuner!

I get it sometimes too with my GTX 280, but after setting the Video Memory to High or Normal, instead of Very High, I have barely come across the problem.

There wil be new drivers from ATI around 10.6. that will fix videomemory fragmentation problem, hope it will help.

There wil be new drivers from ATI around 10.6. that will fix videomemory fragmentation problem, hope it will help.

Very nice and quick response. Really great to see the BI Devs around the forums and picking up these things :)

Thanks for kicking ATi into gear they usually fix things if the Devs ask them too!

Cheers!

Okay. Thank you ohara. Appreciate it how deeply you guys are watching over your forums and help the people.

Wondering why you dont get it with the 4870. As you said specific mainboard chipset and graphic card combination?

Thr0tt are you sure? This is what i do to get the error as fast as possible:

- max all graphic settings, everything on highest value, fillrate 100% is ok

- open Tschernarus in editor

- place you inside a chopper at biggest city in south at the coast

- fly around, low at the city, after max 60 seconds you get the error

When having the graphic settings on medium, it takes longer to get the erorr. When graphic settings are on low, the problem seems not to come.

Please doublecheck this.

Will do.

I have been playing for an hour with missions and such like and all seems good at the moment. Most settings are on normal or my machine just grinds to a halt... Phenom II x4 + HD3850 (AGP), 4GB DDR2 (3.5 in use WinXP).

Will post back shortly.

Ok cool. Please keep in mind, its important to open the Tschernarus map (the big one). On Utes (the small island) the problem does not occur. Maybe there are not enough objects/textures/whatever.

Ok cool. Please keep in mind, its important to open the Tschernarus map (the big one). On Utes (the small island) the problem does not occur. Maybe there are not enough objects/textures/whatever.

Thats not true. It occurs less often but it once did for me in the first mission on the carrier. It did not happen for example in the aircraft training.

It happens in few minutes also on a ATI Radeon 1600XT even on low memory setting. BSOD occurs if you don't leave the game quickly.

Edited by Jaspion

Nope didn't occur and that with me in the big town, flying Huey and some cows and tanks placed in and around town.

Now, having removed that command and removing a -maxmem=2048 command I have having difficulty getting to happen again.

I also tried reducing the screen size from 1680x1050 to 1440x900 which game some performance but not really worth it.

Trying again with more objects and increased view distance.

Since using the -noCB command my problems havent come back ??? Does this mean it is now hard coded as such, if so how can I get it back to test crashing and start streaming over multiple cores again ?

No,just remove this argument and reset settings back

Noooooooooooooo damn it.... i just ordered a ATI HD 4890 exclusively for Arma2....

Don't tell me Arma2 and ATi will have issue forever like Arma1 had with ATI.....