Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

OK any one tried the new 10.9 drivers if so whats the verdict?.

Thanks

Hi, quickly tried this morning in XP pro 32bit with ATI Radeon HD5670.

Don't see any difference yet (my bottleneck is the CPU) , but have an error with Pedagne VCC2 rvmat and crash to descktop.

I signalled in Pedagne topic and waiting.

For the performance I'll make some test but only if that problem will be solved.

If not the case I would restore 10.6

I'll give you some news

Bye

Hi, quickly tried this morning in XP pro 32bit with ATI Radeon HD5670.

Don't see any difference yet (my bottleneck is the CPU) , but have an error with Pedagne VCC2 rvmat and crash to descktop.

I signalled in Pedagne topic and waiting.

For the performance I'll make some test but only if that problem will be solved.

If not the case I would restore 10.6

I'll give you some news

Bye

hehe ok, well gonna try the new today aswell, if it sux il go back to 10.4

Flashing strobing screen for me...totally unplayable crap...will put away this laggy buggy game forever..ati4870x2

Only started after patching to 1.07...this kind of support from game developers is costing them sales..maybe they will realise it some day

Edited by 68viper
Only temporarily fixed

everyone who has here issues since 10.8 and 10.9 drivers

are you using HDRprecision=16; ?

if yes then please try use 8 or 32 and come back to tell us if it helps or not

everyone who has here issues since 10.8 and 10.9 drivers

are you using HDRprecision=16; ?

if yes then please try use 8 or 32 and come back to tell us if it helps or not

well its not only that, thats irritates me, they havent fixed over/under scan issue either.. so the driver is broke...

10.9ahotfix (vista and 7)

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst109Hotfix.aspx

Applicable Products:

Applicable Products:

This article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Hardware

o ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 series of products

o ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 series of products

* Operating System

o Windows 7 32-bit Edition

o Windows 7 64-bit Edition

o Windows Vista 32-bit Edition

o Windows Vista 64-bit Edition

10.9ahotfix (vista and 7)

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst109Hotfix.aspx

Applicable Products:

Applicable Products:

This article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Hardware

o ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 series of products

o ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2 series of products

* Operating System

o Windows 7 32-bit Edition

o Windows 7 64-bit Edition

o Windows Vista 32-bit Edition

o Windows Vista 64-bit Edition

well not a single hotfix for 5970 or do you have a link for 5970 hotfiix?

Edited by Modin84
more info

well not a single hotfix for 5970 or do you have a link for 5970 hotfiix?

no,sorry - my post was meant to be an info for those who might be interested in this hotfix, that's why I've put the reference into spoiler :)

no,sorry - my post was meant to be an info for those who might be interested in this hotfix, that's why I've put the reference into spoiler :)

ah i see would be great if you could find a nice hotfix for my card :)

i have an 4870x2 aswell

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor, 3210 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

8gb ram (kingston 1333hz)

m4a79t deluxe is my motherboard

vista home premium 64 bit

wen i turn aa on i get 3 fps on max 10 on mid 12 on off...

well that wouldnt make me come to the forums...no AA for once doesnt botter me.

but my main problem is a bit worse but could be related ;)

so after i dropped anti alising to off i was pleased for a short time

25 fps on first mission fluent like i am used to play games^^

but then on mission 3 or 4 i start getting fps drops. it goes down to 0 for about 2 sec very often.

aslong i run straight and dont turn around it seems fine

but when i turn left or right it drops to 0

i cant do screenshots Oo they are all black in paint!

things i tried so far:

4. Add the following parameters:

Code: -winxp -maxmem=2047 -cpuCount=4 -nosplash

didnt help but when active i can do screen shots ;) why ever.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...109Hotfix.aspx

no change

dropping other settings didnt remove the problem visibility shadows and so on a bit better frames but they still drop to 0 when i turn around Oo

i could link some screens ^^

the first one is amazing since it shows 2 fps and is cut on the bottom ...really strange as if it would run 2 versions 1 with 35 fps one with 12 that i see check it out

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5953/arma2fps.jpg

then with my settings like i said i tried out different ones even visibility to 1000 didnt help...as you can see only 8-12 fps

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8191/arma2settings2.jpg

and sometimes after alt tab it looks like this

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7851/arma2fail.jpg

like i said after adding

Code: -winxp -maxmem=2047 -cpuCount=4 -nosplash at steam to startcommands i could make screen shots tough it limits my ram and doest fix the fps so i removed it again^^

Edited by tomoe

i cant do screenshots Oo they are all black in paint!

I have a similar problem, except that my screenshots show my desktop with any other open window :j:

(spec in sig)

Wanted to spice up a bug report with a self-explanatory screenshot, but alas...

10000VD is lame, and will never be a good choice for you setup. The Redhammer Campaign is just a resource hog, has been from the start, and was complete crap when released for any performance. Your Screen Resolution of 1920/1080 is to much to get any where near your Vsync(60). My best FPS there was 35fps...with two 4870x2s back then. The Slow FPS on turning IS your VD and your PP, and the Object Detail, and your AF... all should be at normal and OFF for PP. Make sure all settings in the CCC are set to App preference. ( AA, AF)You just dont have enough juice to run that high in the A2 campaign. But the rest of the game will be fine, MP, SP missions ect, but your Rez and setting are too much to get a steady 25~ much less make Vsync.

Get OA, use beta patches. Buy a 58702gb or two and OC your CPU two 4.0?, double your frames. Or lower your settings/Rez 1600/1050?

Best to go to the Campaign thread in this Forum to see the real deal about how sux ass that campaign was for performance. Almost single handily ruined A2 for average Joe.

After a bit of tweaking there are a few mods to really help the visual performance issues..Proper-mod kju.

Oh yeah buy OA, better performance.

Edited by kklownboy

i have OA so i just have to fuse them for a start? i saw the thread on how to do it alrdy. i dont think it will fix my problem but i give it a try.

for the rest you said. i have to be more clear i guess! ;)

i tried out different setting including visibility down to 1000. and ofc i tried all stuff on medium low first....wich had no effect on my problem at all!

well ya i got 10-20 average fps more AS LONG I RUN STRAIGHT but as fast i try to turn around the game drops to 0 fps NO MATTER WHAT MY SETTINGS ARE ON. sry for cps but its more clear that way.

like i said the settings are just on high again in the screen because lowering them gave no effect on theese *0 frames for 2 second* drops when i turn around.

i mean ofc i could upgrade rank 4 card to rank 1 (and i bet you mean 5970 2 gb^^) and get some fps more oh and oveclocking same there.

but my point is: i am way above the minimum requirements! so i expect the game to run without dropping to 0 frames everytime i turn around (even while beeing on minimum settings)

i dont want to run highest settings i am fine with AA off and stuff...i am fine with only 10 fps on high settings....i prefer it to 30 fps on low settings

but it goes down to 0 when i turn around. from 10fps and from 30 fps. and this just cant be! something must be broken on my or armas 2 end and to find out what is broken i am here.

i fused the game arma 2 missions still drop to 0 fps on turning around- low settings 1280x1024 the expansion missions however seem to be fine 10-35 fps depending on settings only dropped to 0 once so far first 3 missions i can even let it on 1920x1...

Edited by tomoe

I think your problem is streaming then. What about your hard disk? Have you defragmented it, maybe even using UltimateDefrag to move the A2 folder on the outside of the platter? Is it crammed or half-empty? Is it your only HDD with Windows, swap file + Arma? What other programs run besides Arma that could cause this stutter, maybe your virus scanner is running amok in the background?

Best to test with low settings so you can see what works and what doesn't without too much other things going on. So try a defrag first :)

Apart from that problem listen to kklownboy and lower your settings anyway. Even when you get rid of the stuttering problem it won't work with what you posted on the second screenshot. Try 3km viewdistance and lower to 2km or even 1km when inside Chernogorsk/Elektrozavodsk, especially on heavy missions as those campaign ones. You can always change to more when flying or otherwise needed, but maybe lower other settings then.

Your video memory should be at High with 1GB (per GPU) or maybe try default. I wouldn't go below the optimal resolution of your monitor though, so keep that. No idea how crossfire works for you, but it's seems to be kind of hit or miss from what I read. So with a bit of luck your GPU isn't much faster than a single 4870.

Anisotropic filtering shouldn't do anything noticably to performance, except it looks bad when turned off ;)

AA might even be possible if you stress your GPU less and without PP. I prefer >100% 3D resolution to get rid of GPU power. When now using OA take an extra look at your PP settings if you don't want them off.

to my hd

for now i only have 1 Model SAMSUNG HD103UJ ATA Device

so os+files all on same. first time i have a pc like this. but it worked amazing good so far.

i actually planned a small expensive fast one for os guess i will do this now!

if i have defragmented my hd? no idea :) i am swiss..well i formated it as first action after buying, if thats what you mean. but it has still 400 of 930 gb free

fragments are the parts on the hd right? the sectors? Total Sectors 1'953'520'065

other programs: adaware i deinstalled. avg has no automatic scans on but it is of course running in background...

well steam runs ofc ;)

and hamachi but disabling prozess/tree didnt help

otherwise only win prozesses ati and so on all stuff you need. i check them on google regulary to check for worms and so on. so basicly i know from all those processes i need them and they dont slow me down. others i took out of boot alrdy.

*I wouldn't go below the optimal resolution of your monitor though, so keep that*

thats the only thing that makes it look really ugly anyway

*Apart from that problem listen to kklownboy and lower your settings anyway*

this made no sence in arma 2 however since i fused the game and OA missions run fine it made sence for them at least

so there i get 20-30 fps with 5000 visibility AA off/ filtering high/ texture normal/ object high/post process high/ terrain normal/

like i said i only played 3 missions in OA so far. and they went good. arma 2 still fails.

and one of them was this tank mission so i guess it will stay fine in OA

but ya if fps drops to much i can still do it on 2500 but so far in oa missions no need for that.

so it seems adjusting settings helped in OA 2 it seems fine and i can play it. while arma 2 even after fusing with Oa still stutters---> i will check my cpu video memory to see usage

---> i will buy second hd for os and change to win 7 at same time

if arma 2 still stutters then i report back ;)

thx for all help so far i appreciate it. i am an expirienced gamer but never played alot of shooters. no cs no battlefield no cod. only flashpoint 1 raindbow-series and fear fascinated me. and i think arma 2 would do it aswell ;)

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Your video memory should be at High with 1GB (per GPU) or maybe try default. I wouldn't go below the optimal resolution of your monitor though, so keep that. No idea how crossfire works for you, but it's seems to be kind of hit or miss from what I read. So with a bit of luck your GPU isn't much faster than a single 4870.

uhm at steam forum they told me to install gpu-z

so here a screen of it

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/10/09/19/9wu.png

and

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/10/09/19/3m9.png wich shows i max use 40% of my gpu so much to hard on the gpu lol

Edited by tomoe

Hello, im using an Ati 4630, and from time to time my screen starts to flicker. I can see the in game map, and the floor just fine but whe ni look forward, i get lots of lines. What triggers it most of the times is flying or HALO jumps.

well ya i got 10-20 average fps more AS LONG I RUN STRAIGHT but as fast i try to turn around the game drops to 0 fps NO MATTER WHAT MY SETTINGS ARE ON. sry for cps but its more clear that way...

bblala

Well you have a 4870X2?

And when you 'alt-Tab" To see the GPUz you will stop the 2nd GPU from working.. to really see the usage you have to Log it, you cant Alt-tab...

The only two settings, that make my FPS go down to very low while turning fast are;

1. Edgedetect AA type in the CCC (needs to be Box) and App Pref

2. 16AF in the CCC (best to leave App Pref).IQ is better with it.

If i have insane VD of 100000 with all high it will be slow turning. And in the main citys of Cherno, and Elektroz it will be bad too.

But the campaign will never be good with out a high clocked CPU.

As for Vidmemory setting, "default" is for 1GB, not high not veryhigh but Default.

things i have done to make my game run smooth, was to use driver version 10.4, working best for me.

i got ati 5970 radeon and use crossfire, changed the name on "arma 2 oa"exe file to "arma 2"! crossfire works nice now, but the 10.4 drivers sux with crossfire so i downloaded 10.9 application profiles and installed em! now everything runs smooth and i have fps between 50-60 all the time.

display settings 1920*1080 all on very high exept memory that are on default, AA on normal and PP on low.

my cpu is I7 920 - 4.2Ghz, overclocked Ati 5970 Radeon 900 gpu 1150 memory.

Quick question,

Does anyone else get a very intense flickering of objects especially OA rocks and buildings? (generally at a distance of over 500m). It keeps me from suspending my disbelief while playing.

I'm running on an i7 processor, windows 7, with a ATI 5870

Anyone know of a way to minimize this problem? do I need drivers? certain graphics settings (I've played with those to no avail)? A different/additional graphics card?

Any reply is appreciated as this is becoming a deal breaker for me

if i have defragmented my hd? no idea :) i am swiss..well i formated it as first action after buying, if thats what you mean. but it has still 400 of 930 gb free

fragments are the parts on the hd right? the sectors? Total Sectors 1'953'520'065

Defragmentation at Wikipedia, basicly you tidy up your hard drive so it does not have to look all over the place.

A second HDD is a good idea anyway :)

And once again: Listen to kklownboy to see if your card it really uses both GPUs. With MSI Afterburner you should be able to see it ingame as an overlay. The outcome should be different then, I can easily get my 5870 to 96% on the empty desert map without going extreme :p

Where are these 10.9 application profiles, and how do you install them?

www.ati.com choose your driver for your card and OS, then scroll down on the page.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Quick question,

Does anyone else get a very intense flickering of objects especially OA rocks and buildings? (generally at a distance of over 500m). It keeps me from suspending my disbelief while playing.

I'm running on an i7 processor, windows 7, with a ATI 5870

Anyone know of a way to minimize this problem? do I need drivers? certain graphics settings (I've played with those to no avail)? A different/additional graphics card?

Any reply is appreciated as this is becoming a deal breaker for me

what drivers are you using now atm? try using 10.4 and see if it will fix your problem. i have tryed almost all drivers for arma and 10.4 have working best for me.

i have tryed almost all drivers for arma and 10.4 have working best for me.

same here, 10.4whql does best job for me atm (XP32)