Sign in to follow this  
Desert

ArmA2 8GB RAM Problem

I hae a BFG gtx 295 and 8 gigs of ram. Just installed win 7 Ult. 64 bit and reinstalled ARMA 2. This is how the game sees my ram settings in the config.

localVRAM=2137620416;

nonlocalVRAM=2137620416;

Can anyone tell me what they should be set to? Thx.

I hae a BFG gtx 295 and 8 gigs of ram. Just installed win 7 Ult. 64 bit and reinstalled ARMA 2. This is how the game sees my ram settings in the config.

localVRAM=2137620416;

nonlocalVRAM=2137620416;

Can anyone tell me what they should be set to? Thx.

Same here and arma2 does not detect the correct amount..

Changing it by hand in the file does not do anything. Im just hoping they fix this in the patch as its the cause of a lot of peoples crash to desktop and artifacting.

If you got 8GB shouldnt you do the RAMDISK thing?

Heard a friend tested it and it kicks ass.

If you got 8GB shouldnt you do the RAMDISK thing?

Heard a friend tested it and it kicks ass.

What's the RAMDISK thing? I have 12 gigs of RAM and Geforce 285. I still have the mem problem and the game doesn't load correctly. Unless I do the -winxp thing.

I dont know whats up, I have tried litteraly everything and I cant get it working on any old driver new driver doesn't matter everything is blocky and messed up but workes fine behined all that, like the fps. So whats up???

I have

I core 7

12G ram

2x 295 gtx's

DDR3

I have the works and this is the only game that doesn't just kill it on here.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

I have texture issues with my nvidia 2x 295's and I core 7 and I have 12 G ram, but no fps issues just textures

Edited by Elkevo

I dont know whats up, I have tried litteraly everything and I cant get it working on any old driver new driver doesn't matter everything is blocky and messed up but workes fine behined all that, like the fps. So whats up???

I have

I core 7

12G ram

2x 295 gtx's

DDR3

I have the works and this is the only game that doesn't just kill it on here.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

I have texture issues with my nvidia 2x 295's and I core 7 and I have 12 G ram, but no fps issues just textures

you need to add -winxp the the games launch parameters...

Hi Liquidpinky yeah im using the symlink method.

and yeah i think it is strange too becuase it seems simlink should hide the fact youve done any alterations to the game in anyway (I doubt its coincedence becuase the server makes reference to the files ive moved to the ramdisk and says they are missing the correct key or something ive tried the server about 10 times over a week after reboots, all other servers are fine. Just a shame i cant play on the only cti server in my region.

maybee this server reads the link size as too small rather than the file size thats being linked and see a problem?

Ive been waiting to be allowed to post on the servers forum so i can ask them if its possible to fix it up becuase im using other servers of theirs and there isnt a problem. thanks again liquidpinky.

KKlown im abit confused my 2gb 285gtx vram is being recognised as

localVRAM=807262208;

nonlocalVRAM=807262208;

you suggest i manually change it to

localVRAM=2137620416;

nonlocalVRAM=2137620416;

I see shataan and others 2gb cards being detected at

localVRAM=2137620416;

nonlocalVRAM=2137620416;

doesnt 2gb (2048mb) = 2097152 kb

2048mb x 1024kb (per mb) = 2097152kb

you have an extra 2 digets too :(

Edited by Killakaze

The value in your config.cfg are bytes, so you need to multiply your amount of kb with 1024 bytes.

2GB VRAM = 2 * 1024³ bytes = 2147483648 bytes

It might be a better choise to insert a lower value than this, so 2137620416 should be ok.

Edited by _Hurricane

KKlown im abit confused my 2gb 285gtx vram is being recognised as

localVRAM=807262208;

nonlocalVRAM=807262208;

you suggest i manually change it to

localVRAM=2137620416;

nonlocalVRAM=2137620416;

I see shataan and others 2gb cards being detected at

localVRAM=2137620416;

nonlocalVRAM=2137620416;

doesnt 2gb (2048mb) = 2097152 kb

2048mb x 1024kb (per mb) = 2097152kb

you have an extra 2 digets too :(

Even if you change it by hand to the correct amount it does not actually do anything. Those numbers you see are just the game saying "here is the amount I think you have" people have tried changing it to ridiculous numbers and there is no affect. Bi needs to correct the detection in the patch because there's nothing we can do.

thanks guys

dont know whats going on now i thought i had performance increase with the new values i put in manually i guess it might have been in my head coincidently i seemed to be crashing quicker and came up with the theory that its becuase im using all the memory up in one hit lol. anyway i guess when all the bugs are ironed out i can get stuck into actually enjoying the game the reason bought it & upgraded my pc

so far the only thing i can think of thats as frustrating as owning this game is watching a beyonce video clip and knowing that with all that ass shaking I wont ever be able to have a go at her.

Even if you change it by hand to the correct amount it does not actually do anything. Those numbers you see are just the game saying "here is the amount I think you have" people have tried changing it to ridiculous numbers and there is no affect. Bi needs to correct the detection in the patch because there's nothing we can do.

You want the Game to give you those numbers.I get correct numbers with my ATI H/W. It seems anything over 7gb~ of system RAM can be problematic. Try using the -maxmem=2047 command and you may will get the correct "nonlocalVRAM". -winxp makes the game use xp ram usage for the game which is 2047MB.

well i had 2048 and just changed it to 2047 as you recommend and deleted my arma cfg file went into arma and video options then closed arma loaded up the newly created cfg and its still not reading the memory correct heres my shortcut

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -nosplash -world=empty -maxmem=2047 -cpucount=4

8gb problem appears to be sorted in the latest beta patch btw. Just messing around and switched off the -winxp command to check and true enough, no more texture problems.

Next patch is going to be a good un, so far as the beta hints anyway.

Scratch that, was using the wrong icon and the problem is still there. :(

Edited by Liquidpinky

heh im about to install the new doesnt seem to fix any of the problems stopping crashes or memory issues i guess its just a beta but something tells me im dreaming thinking there will be a fix anytime soon.

I just noticed nvidea has some new beta drivers 195.39 for my 285gtx released on the 30th of october ill give them a try looks like its got some fixes hopfully the kind i need.

Even if they could add a option to put our correct values in for the game to use i would be happy, cause even with the -winxp, the game still thinks i have 2gb vram when i only have 512mb and that would have to be causeing problems.

the game runs fine on my win xp 32 boot, i get loss of frame rate and crash's every 10 min of playing on my win 7 64 boot when it seams my gpu vram is full and i get a lot of white objects befour crashing

We hopefully managed to reproduce this problem on newly build Win7 x64 PC with 8 GB RAM and ATI 5870 1 GB VRAM. Quite likely various systems with x64 OS and more than 8 GB RAM and more than 1 GB VRAM GPU were affected by this issue.

New beta patch with this fix should be out very soon, the fix is in build 59926.

great news! supposedly the -winxp tag slowed performance so this should be another speed bump for those of us with this problem

no more big Framestutters in Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk,now working on a Fix for the 8GB RAM Problem..sounds like Christmas in November..:)

OMG :omg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The game is FINALLY working !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No -winxp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No texture popping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No stuttering in towns !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to mark this issue as resolved in the CIT, but I cannot find it there. If anyone sees it, please provide a link or resolve it.