Sign in to follow this  
Desert

ArmA2 8GB RAM Problem

For your information: All my ArmA 2 development is done on Vista with 8 GB RAM and I periodically switch between nVidia and ATI cards to make sure there are no obvious compatibility issues this time, like they were in ArmA. I think I can therefore say at least the basic compatibility level should be there this time.

I had this in mind as you were posting that earlier, hence thats why i am a bit shocked by these player reports...

But you confirm that this is a bug and the people reporting it, are not just "conceive" something? :p

i honestly think its all down to Graphics drivers. as ppl have said, there system runs with 8, 12 gigs and no problem, nvidia seem to have the edge with the driver sover ati, but there not imune. if i get any bugs/glitches after i have already played it fine ill just b reverting back to older GPU drivers so at least th egame splayable, and wait the newer ones again

Was planning on upgrading my gaming PC from 4GB to 8GB, but after seeing this, I think I'll pass.

if u want/need it go for, there always work arounds, i cure my issues simply by scrapping the 4870X2 and using 295gtx, that was it, game worked fine with max RAM on normal and beta with arma 1, im not expecting much different at all from 2, if anything screws me up its gonna b drivers

For your information: All my ArmA 2 development is done on Vista with 8 GB RAM and I periodically switch between nVidia and ATI cards to make sure there are no obvious compatibility issues this time, like they were in ArmA. I think I can therefore say at least the basic compatibility level should be there this time.
Which Catalyst Version you have installed?

or you could just add

-winxp

to the arma2.exe command line parameter (shortcut)

example : "D:\ARMA II\arma2.exe" -winxp

and you wont have to care for any of these workarounds

Yeah, because 8GB RAM on a 32bit Machine is useless ;) but on the armed-assault.de Forums is a Post from a User with 8GB RAM on Windows XP 32bit with the same Issue, i dont know why he has 8GB RAM on a 32bit Machine Oo. I`m triying the -winxp thingy now. I have tried the Catalyst Versions from 8.12 to 9.5 today and the Problem ist still the same with every Version.

Edited by Desert

But you confirm that this is a bug and the people reporting it, are not just "conceive" something? :p

How can I know? All I know is that ArmA 2 runs fine on all 8 GB Vista systems I have tested so far. I cannot rule out a possibility that some combination of components we did not test is still handled bad on our side.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Suma can i ask what Nvidia card and drivers you are using?

The reason i ask is that ive just tried ArmA2 on the same PC with two different cards.

My 8800GT KO runs well on 178.24 but goes black on 185.85

My friend's 8800GTX does the same.

So is it just a driver issue?

Suma can i ask what Nvidia card and drivers you are using?

The reason i ask is that ive just tried ArmA2 on the same PC with two different cards.

My 8800GT KO runs well on 178.24 but goes black on 185.85

My friend's 8800GTX does the same.

So is it just a driver issue?

Obviously it is? nvidia drivers can't be trusted especially when it comes to ArmA.

That -winxp Parameter solve the Problem here!! :yay: What exactly does that Parameter?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Obviously it is? nvidia drivers can't be trusted especially when it comes to ArmA.

Ok let me be clearer. Obviously it is drivers. I was wondering how much has changed in those individual drivers that would have an affect on ArmA2. Is it down to the driver or the game?

Well, they seem to be faring better than ATI ones if people's problems with ATI cards are anything to go by.

That -winxp Parameter solve the Problem here!! :yay: What exactly does that Parameter?

it solves problems.

Thank You, thats what i wanted to know. :bounce3:

Now we have to wait for a Fix.

Edited by Desert

it makes the game think u only got 3-4gig of ram

No Change here, even with Final 1.01 Patch.

No Change here, even with Final 1.01 Patch.

Same. The game is NOT detecting the available amount of VRAM properly.

My Videocard is detected as 256 MB when it is in fact 1 Gig.

There doesn't seem to be any way around this and using the -winxp switch ruins my sound, so it's not an option.

Eth

You can try to limit your System to ~4GB (3328MB) with msconfig, if you have 8GB of RAM.

Well, they seem to be faring better than ATI ones if people's problems with ATI cards are anything to go by.

I go by my own experiences, and with nvidia drivers ArmA was a nightmare, crashing, memory leaks, gfx bugs etc. then with AMD card ZERO PROBLEMS.

Nice finds GhostX.

All fine here on Win7 x64, i7 3.2, GTX 280, 6 GB ram, 2560x1600. Using latest drivers.

Tested with 12GB G-Skill DDR3-1333 kit on my Core i7 system and all is fine as well.

Hi Guys,

texture problems...well I had this fight too!

Vista64 GTX285 and FORMERLY 185.85Drivers!!!

Even the new 186.08 didn't help!

Problem solved - switched back to 182.50 Drivers and no more Textureprobs...!