Sign in to follow this  
gagagu

How to create a dedicated server

Is there any document, news, tutorial, etc. how to create a dedicated server ?

Thx

Have heard you can start a dedi by shortcut "C:\...\ArmA 2\arma.exe" -server

But I don't know how to assign a specific config/port.

Maybe same way like: "C:\...\ArmA 2\arma.exe" -server -port=2537 -config=server.cfg

Next Problem would be the copy protection. So would it be necessery to have the dvd in the drive? Could be quite hard for some roots.

What ever, we might figure it out this weekend :cool:

Gonna take longer than the weekend for you to figure out. :j:

There is no option to run ARMA 2 as a dedicated server till bis release the server.exe & implement the code in patch 47.982.

Afraid you German guys got sucked in bigtime "beta testing" 1/2 a game.

Main features:

Play the entire solo campaign cooperatively or dive into huge PvP battles for control of the whole map.

with no dedicated server ? Are you kidding me ?

Afraid you German guys got sucked in bigtime "beta testing" 1/2 a game.

Business as usual :D

No server files = No dedi.

But I read somewhere about the switch "-server" for the main executable.

Maybe thats complete wrong.

What time passed when ArmA1 was released until server files for Win and Linux where out? A mounth for the server.exe and 3 mounth for the Linux Binary?

Can't believe they doing that all again :confused_o:

Business as usual :D

No server files = No dedi.

But I read somewhere about the switch "-server" for the main executable.

Maybe thats complete wrong.

What time passed when ArmA1 was released until server files for Win and Linux where out? A mounth for the server.exe and 3 mounth for the Linux Binary?

Can't believe they doing that all again :confused_o:

You cant exspect a dedicated server.exe when the game aint even released world wide yet. Still kind of beta sence it was only released in germany. Dedicated server files prob come sometime after the 19th of june or a month from now

i'm having the same issue...so i guess we have to wait for the dedicated server files...

just a suggestion though...i wouldn't release a game with no files for dedicated server....after all mp is probably the biggest part of arma2...

i'm having the same issue...so i guess we have to wait for the dedicated server files...

Yes no Dedicated Server Included yet!

just a suggestion though...i wouldn't release a game with no files for dedicated server....after all mp is probably the biggest part of arma2...

Probably not in the eyes of BIS, if there are Things they invested the most time into, then one of these things is clearly the SP experience (campaign, scenarios) - and its really cool!

i managed to run a dedicated server with the -server switch...however i have no idea what is the name of the server or what are the parameters...i can see players flooding in though....:)

i guess the next step would be to create a server.cfg similar to Arma1 and direct the exe to read that one...

Here's an example of the server.cfg I'm using. Note the Master Server change. Works great though.

//
// server.cfg
//
// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS
hostname="Half-LifeCreations ArmA 2 Austin TX";	// The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list
password="";						// Password for joining, eg connecting to the server
passwordAdmin=":p";					// Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'
reportingIP="arma2.master.gamespy.com";		// This is the default setting. If you change this, your server might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers
logFile="server_console.log";			// Tells ArmA-server where the logfile should go and what it should be called

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")
// It can be several lines, separated by comma
// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval
motd[]={
"", "", "", 
"Welcome to the Half-Life Creations ArmA 2 Server",
"",
"Enjoying the game? Visit us!",
"http://www.half-lifecreations.com/",
""
};
motdInterval=5;						// Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES
checkfiles[]={						// Checks if these files are equal to the servers files. If one or more is not, player will be kicked from server
"HWTL\dta\data3d.pbo",
"dta\data3d.pbo"
};
maxPlayers=12;						// Maximum amount of players. Civilians and watchers, beholder, bystanders and so on also count as player.
kickDuplicate=1;					// Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.
verifySignatures=0;					// Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on
equalModRequired=0;					// If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

// VOTING
voteMissionPlayers=1;  					// Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.
voteThreshold=0.33;					// 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS
disableVoN=1;						// If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available
vonCodecQuality=0;					// Quality from 1 to 10
persistent=1;						// If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

// SCRIPTING ISSUES
onUserConnected="";					// self-explaining
onUserDisconnected="";
doubleIdDetected="";
regularCheck="";

// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected
onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected
//onDifferentData=""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected
//BattlEye=1; //Server to use BattlEye system

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)
class Missions {
};

have you verified that this master server name is the new one for arma2 or you just guessed it?

Cause i use still the one from arma1 and still players can come in the server which means they can see the server...

have you verified that this master server name is the new one for arma2 or you just guessed it?

Cause i use still the one from arma1 and still players can come in the server which means they can see the server...

I honestly just guessed, but people have been able to see and join my server without issue.

Perhaps ArmA2 completely ignores that line?

I honestly just guessed, but people have been able to see and join my server without issue.

Perhaps ArmA2 completely ignores that line?

it looks like it...because i guessed something different or put the same as in arma1 and people could still see and join the server...

also on my server.cfg the line with verifysignatures command came back with an error so i took it completely out...in fact i only kept basic commands in there, like name, password, MOTD etc...

i have no idea sorry...

i have installed the game into the dedicated but not on my gaming pc yet...:)

also, the missions are not into the mpmissions folder so i cannot see their names and see if after everyone has logged out of the server the same mission carries on being played...

Runing a multiplayer server without the dedicated server.exe is pretty buggy from what we seen on xr server and other servers. Like there be 16 slot server 8vs8 and when you join its only 7vs7 but cant take 1 of the 2 slots. We noticed when we made 32man warfare mission that when a player leaves server while in game his player slot becomes removed.

Also theres alot of lag with large numbers of players due to the fact theres no multiplayer network settings

Multiplayer only seems good at the moment for playing missions with up to 16players without JIP

Also theres alot of lag with large numbers of players due to the fact theres no multiplayer network settings

i guess the mp network settings have to be added in the arma.cfg the same way as in arma1...

i guess the mp network settings have to be added in the arma.cfg the same way as in arma1...

Done that already but cant exspect a muliplayer server to run right without a dedicated server.exe which would manage things like server input and output i would of though. Every server i played on got desync with 16 players or less

You can use the Information provided by the Community-Wiki to adjust your serverconfiguration: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

Other informations in the BIKI may be usefull as well: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Server_configuration

in commandline, simply add "-config=server.cfg" as a parameter to arma2.exe.

Now, I'm sorry for sort of taking this a little bit off topic, but say if someone hosts a game personally (ie basically just hosting a game through the multiplayer menu), are they able to use this method to customize their hosting options? Ie set maximum players, checfiles, equalmod, etc.

Ok, so we can't create a dedicated server for ArmAII now, or can we?

I'm confused, because someone said that BIS has to upload some files, other says that the already have a server running, etc.

And in case of being positive, how?

Hi, i'm new in Arma.

I've set up a server and it's running well. So, how do i select the map? change the map during playing?

Thx

Sorry no.

I have another question.

I have the german patch 1.01 and I use the dedicated ArmA2Server.exe

I have setup "basic.cfg" and "server.cfg" like in ArmA1.

I have copied my own "ArmA2.cfg" and "NoBrainer.ArmA2Profile"

I renamed "NoBrainer.Arma2profile" to "server.Arma2profile".

Then I made a copy of my own installation and copied the files to a "server"...(it's a laptop!)

I use:

D:\ArmA2\ArmA2Server.exe -cfg=basic.cfg -config=server.cfg -profiles=D:\ArmA2_Profiles -name=server

I can see that others and myself are seeing the server on the "Internet", but I have tried to set it up as LAN, without any reporting to gamespy.

I also can't join myself, but most others can join.

Why can't I join and how can I make it LAN and not internet??

Also, why isn't "public.log" created?

Basic.cfg

passwordAdmin = "********"; // scrambeled
password = "********"; // scrambeled
hostname = "PreDOTNet - ArmA2 - No CustomFiles"; 
maxPlayers = 5; 
voteThreshold = 0.33; 
voteMissionPlayers = 1; 
reportingIP = "<>"; 
kickduplicate = 1; 
equalModRequired = 0; 
verifySignatures = 1; 
disableVoN = 1;
vonCodecQuality = 7; // 0 min - 10 maks
persistent = 0; 
LogFile = "Public.log";
battleye = 0;
motd[] = { 
   " ", 
   " ", 
   "[N.o.N] - NoPryl of Norway", 
   "Norwegian Campers Clan", 
   " ", 
   "Have fun" 
}; 
motdInterval = 3; 

class Missions 
{ 
   class MPMission_01 
   { 
       template = coop_1_10_woodland_squad.chernarus;
       cadetMode = 0; 
   }; 
}; 

//Cheat detection
RegularCheck = "{}";
checkfile = 0; //1=slow 0=default 
onHackedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; //auto ban hacked addons 
onDifferentData = "{}"; // Denne må brukes hvis man bruker verifisering av addons
onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";
checkfiles[] = {};

server.cfg

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=10638.000000;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;