Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

ARMA 2 Micro AI Thread

I found this video here.. demonstrating the AI

pretty cool I must say

By watching that video, as a hardcore gamer, I have to say thats some of the best AI i`ve seen in a open world game. What the hell is wrong with people? The AI is great? Is it that people just have to complaint about everything? It looks great, and its still improving with patches!

Edited by ^Th0mas^

Maddmatt and Maddog are right. The more you play, the difference is pretty huge. These guys fight and run like they want to live, not that silly lay down and shoot back without a care in the world. I was reallly sceptical about playing or worse babysitting with this Team Razor but these guys play to win. There're rescuing my a$$ far more than I'm saving theirs. I'm really starting to wonder how the hell they are playing so well early in the campaign and not getting killed- usually in shooters, they jack up your squad NPC's hit points as to keep them alive. When your running with them on long objectives, they really haul it, as well as make use of the terrains cover rather than just running straight ahead. The only problem I've had with the AI is getting certain NPC's to follow - they should give you the option to knock these guys out like B.A Baracus and just carry their sorry a$$es.

The AI is a massive improvement over previous versions, 100x better. They're continually running to cover and using corners, they back you up, saved my arse a few times. I cant think of any game with better AI. I don't think it would be wise for game plays sake to have perfect AI, it is a game remember all about fun. Getting your arse kicked by AI being too smart wouldn't be good for the game.

Well done BIS!!!

The AI is a massive improvement over previous versions, 100x better. They're continually running to cover and using corners, they back you up, saved my arse a few times. I cant think of any game with better AI. I don't think it would be wise for game plays sake to have perfect AI, it is a game remember all about fun. Getting your arse kicked by AI being too smart wouldn't be good for the game.

Well done BIS!!!

Agreed!

Keep up the good work, and its fun to see have the AI develops trough patches!

With that AI, I feel very confident about ArmA II future.

I'm sure, that the Modding community could bring this even a step further by pushing the engine limits.

Regards,

TB

How about large number of ai om both sides at once? I have heard that if there is too many ai at once the ai just stop to work....

Just did a test battle, about 40 friendlies and 100 enemies..

The AI is very impressive.

AI clipping/walking through solid objects is still not perfect. Avoiding other units has come a long way. I'm wondering how do AI perform when trying to avoid a friendly tank (or vice versa). Still plenty of freak accidents?

But yeah, without question the best AI I've seen in any game so far.

How so?

The volume of fire they now give off, suppression, voices and general combat atmosphere is much improved.

They seemed to cover eachother advancing, they were flanking and just generally felt 100x better.

AI clipping/walking through solid objects is still not perfect. Avoiding other units has come a long way. I'm wondering how do AI perform when trying to avoid a friendly tank (or vice versa). Still plenty of freak accidents?

But yeah, without question the best AI I've seen in any game so far.

i wondered in front of a tanks path and the guy said soemthing like beweegung - which i think means move out the way! that was good.

also had experience lying on ground trying to take out AI when the BLUFOR tank road right over me with the tracks on either side and did not kill me. crapped myself when it went over but was a good effect i had never experienced in arma.

also like how tanks push cars, etc out of their way.

I didnt mean crosshairs.

I meant crosshairs popping up as soon as you hit someone, indicating a hit.

Which is just retarded.

This is what i mean:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/Nimsky/OFP2_hit_feedback.jpg

You do realize that Dragon Rising will have multiple difficulty levels? And that on the highest difficulty, there won't be any of that garbage displayed.

By watching that video, as a hardcore gamer, I have to say thats some of the best AI i`ve seen in a open world game. What the hell is wrong with people? The AI is great? Is it that people just have to complaint about everything? It looks great, and its still improving with patches!

Agree!

Where the hell do you see AI in a $50 game better than that ffs. (no! don't quote any "scripted" games where AI behaviour is pre-programed to certain linear missions)

I suspect some people have huge CPU loads (under spec systems) and maybe as a result the AI are get the short end of the stick.

Wasnt that/isn't that still an issue with ArmA1 at 1 time?

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Gnat;1295195']Agree!

Where the hell do you see AI in a $50 game better than that ffs. (no! don't quote any "scripted" games where AI behaviour is pre-programed to certain linear missions)

I suspect some people have huge CPU loads (under spec systems) and maybe as a result the AI are get the short end of the stick.

Wasnt that/isn't that still an issue with ArmA1 at 1 time?

+1 Here! Miles ahead of A1 in many different areas. Im sure with tweaking and optimizing it will only get better in the future :)

I put these two videos together for you guys that wanted to see it in action. Simple videos so don't laugh.

All I did was put USMC VS OPFOR Rebels with a search and destroy Waypoint and Combat action.

First video is of a Forest Battle you all wanted to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybT3e5eFFOY

2nd is of a In town battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnQ2KN5BlYc

You make your own decision of what you think of the ai.

Bye the way this is the german version with an english patch. So yes I did pay for the game. LOL. 58 Dollars about with US exchange rate!

Edited by malkuth

Very productive arnt they, well done on the videos too

The infantry AI in all the video's I've seen looks great.

Immensely improved over the last installment and absolutely fit for purpose.

No more just standing around in a line. No more walking down the centre of roads.

The programmer is to be congratulated on his success in my opinion.

It has exceeded my expectations.

in the first video you simply didnt give a damn on what your teammates are doing, in the secound video you simply put a enemy officer and your M1 on the map and expecting to see something realistic without being realistic in the first place:confused:

i do agree there AI do have brain-lags/gaps, but your video fail to show what the problem really is

Edited by 4 IN 1

I'm wondering something : from here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73422 , it looks like having a language patch incorrectly installed may trigger the FADE-like protection in place, making some weird effect appear.

I'm not sure Dvolk's vids show "blank AI", doesn't the AI react (even very poorly) at some point?

In which case, Dvolk, do you have a language patch installed? If yes, how?

the AI in his first video do react in somepoint, but the problem i see is that the enemy simply dont know that he is there

I'm wondering something : from here : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73422 , it looks like having a language patch incorrectly installed may trigger the FADE-like protection in place, making some weird effect appear.

I'm not sure Dvolk's vids show "blank AI", doesn't the AI react (even very poorly) at some point?

In which case, Dvolk, do you have a language patch installed? If yes, how?

I guess it's possible. The language patch was just three pbos to replace. I'm not sure if that could trigger it.

Like I said, AI varies. Sometimes they're asleep, sometimes they're inhumanly aware and accurate. For obvious reasons the former is easier to vid than the latter :-)

Try to install your language PBOs in a mod folder (in Dta subfolder of your mod folder) and launch the game with the corresponding mod, perhaps, dvolk

After watching movies like that, I have to admit that some parts of the AI are very weak.