Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

ARMA 2 Micro AI Thread

There are very conflicting reports coming out about the AI. I find the one from STS_SolidSnake to be very encouraging, however there are plenty of others that are equaly discouraging.

Yes i agree.

Sometimes it seems people are playing different games :confused:.

They spent a good amount on time working on ArmA II and still remain with AI problems from ArmA, I don't think they'll fix the problem within the next few weeks, they need many many months... most likely over a year. Many people just want to defend and hope for a patch while covering their ears going LA LA LA to all the negative feedback, but it is what it is.

With that being said, I've had many fun times in ArmA with friends despite all of its problems, and even tho the game is getting all the nit picking like a turkey on Thanksgiving day, it seems like ArmA II is still gonna be a much more enjoyable experience then ArmA and is more then enough for me to purchase it.

Also the release of ArmA II was MUCH better then it was for ArmA, so I think in the first patch to come they'll be able to fix many bugs then having to spend time trying to make the game NOT crash as much (but I highly doubt they'll fix the AI like people want with the first patch).

Just like others have stated, the AI is improved above ArmA, it's just that some of its bugs remain.

Also just wanted to add this in for ppl that have the game, are you able to move while using Binoculars, are they just as annoying in ArmA or did it remain the same.

Creating the game takes years...and then killing bugs takes a year? Are u nuts? :D

Edit: y, i agree its easy to be optimistic until trying the game. ;)

Edited by ziiip

Is the AI asking for support(repair/ammo/fuel truck) still the same?

Or does it check the area first if it's safe to call the support trucks, or even move to a safer spot?

Previously it just called for support in the middle of battle,

and got themselves and the support team destroyed.

And if i remember correctly, the support truck(s) responded in the order they were placed in the editor, not by who's closest.

mr.g-c, that really bad news. This is pretty basic stuff, I thought they'd get the AI right this time.

Well, I agree everyone can make mistakes and correct them. The question is how long will it take BIS to patch these very silly and game-spoiling mistakes. If it's like 2 weeks, then I guess it's OK. If it's two months, I might get upset. If it's 6 months, I just won't be interested in the game anymore. OFP2 will provide an alternative. But then BIS won't make a penny off me.

With OFP2 having a very low playercount for coop games, I'm afraid Arma2 is the only option for me and my friends at least. I'm sure you'll be disappointed with OFP2s bugs as well. I'm getting both anyways, as I like supporting those that bring realistic oriented mil sim games out. Not too many of those...

Also, rest asured there will be AI modification scripts out shorty as the documentation starts to come. Can't believe the negativity. The AIs foundation seems pretty solid to me, despite a few bugs here and there.

Also, rest asured there will be AI modification scripts out shorty as the documentation starts to come. Can't believe the negativity. The AIs foundation seems pretty solid to me, despite a few bugs here and there.

Unfortunately AI is extremely difficult to modify/script... unless your name happens to be TonyRanger of course ;)

Peace,

DreDay

That may be true with ARMA 1, but do you think it will be easier in ARMA2? I mean, people writing game logics for the AI to follow. I so desperately want some good zombies to kill in ARMA 2 !

Just seen this video, linked from another thread:

Friendly AI is moving somewhat well through the village, at least it seems taking cover ok.

Edited by fabrizioT

Just seen this video, linked from another thread:

Friendly AI is moving somewhat well through the village, at least it seems taking cover ok.

Thats a MLRS firing at night...

Quoting MadDogX, about the RELEASED beta patch:

First impression of the beta patch so far (just played for about an hour) is excellent! The AI are much more responsive. In the few simple AI test missions I made, the AI actions are a lot smoother and more coordinated. No more "confused" looking AI.

More here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73174&page=7

i am desperately trying to collect here all AI feedback i find elsewhere :( ...

@RAINF:

sorry man, obviously my mistake. Link is now fixed.

Edited by fabrizioT

Another video:

Not really impressed by enemy AI from this one, sometimes it's like turkey shoot.

With OFP2 having a very low playercount for coop games, I'm afraid Arma2 is the only option for me and my friends at least. I'm sure you'll be disappointed with OFP2s bugs as well. I'm getting both anyways, as I like supporting those that bring realistic oriented mil sim games out. Not too many of those...

Except that OFP2 is looking like Battlefield 2 more and more.

The most recent video shows a little cross over the crosshairs that blinks up if you hit somebody, therefor you will always know if you shot anyone through bushes by luck etc.

It's exactly like it's done in BF2.

I'm afraid that the comparisons wont stop there though, but we'll see.

Hopefully servers will be able to setup using nocrosshairs though, so I don't think it's much of a problem.

games usually fail at catering for both the realism gamers and nonrealism gamers, cod4 has a "realistic" mode but the gameplay is still spammy and rubbish. the videos do show alot of bf2 similarity too, but i guess we'll never know til the release (lets not forget that a mod like PR for bf2 could save the day in ofp2's case).

How's the AI with the new patch?

for it seems great. AI fire at me when behind cover (not for too long but enough to get the effect of bullets hitting cover).

they are quite accurate but not impossibly so.

am getting killed much more than in arma - that's a fun thing as it doesn't feel unfair.

AI heal each other when able (spec ops/medic seem to can heal others)

my team keep taking cover behind things and covering each other.

AI used grenades quite well.

Yeah, as long as BIS keeps improving the AI in their patches, we`re in for something good.

I've seen insanely cocky players who won't stand a chance against these new bots. It's really what BIS promised the AI to be like and the only flaw with it is that it sometimes goes through walls. Nothing BIS won't fix though.

I think it's easily the best AI in any video game I've ever played.

I've seen insanely cocky players who won't stand a chance against these new bots. It's really what BIS promised the AI to be like and the only flaw with it is that it sometimes goes through walls. Nothing BIS won't fix though.

I think it's easily the best AI in any video game I've ever played.

Its okay to have some bugs here and there, but AI goes trough walls are pretty BIG bugs!

So how do you explain all the people who said the AI is exactly the same as in ARMA or only very marginally improved?

I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm just curious!

So how do you explain all the people who said the AI is exactly the same as in ARMA or only very marginally improved?

I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm just curious!

They probably didn't test it properly. All it takes is to set down two squads of AI, make them run toward each other through a town or forest and watch how they fight.

Here some examples on how the AI in Arma2 is improved over ArmA:

1. Movement

ArmA: The AI would generally run out in the open and in the middle of roads. All AI in a group will generally face forward.

Arma2: The AI mostly tries to stay close to cover, sticks to the side of the road etc. AI squad members will cover different angles and even move in bounding overwatch.

2. Under fire

ArmA: AI hits the deck, shoots back with uber accuracy and often just crawls or walks over open ground.

Arma2: AI runs for the nearest cover or concealment, often zig-zagging instead of running in a straight line. Fires back with much more realistic accuracy, from cover if possible. Will also try to suppress the enemy.

3. Attacking

ArmA: AI runs straight toward their objective until they have visual contact. Then they will either just stand there or go prone before they begin shooting.

Arma2: Basically a mixture of points 1 and 2. AI moves more intelligently and fires more intelligently.

Of course there are still some bugs that need to be squashed, so the AI is not yet 100% reliable and sometimes slow to react - but on the whole, I will heartily laugh in the face of anyone who has tested both games and doesn't see the difference.

Blind maybe? :p

Seriously, the difference is obvious. Much more so than the difference between OFP and ArmA (which was little in relation to ArmA 2 improvements).

One very obvious improvement is that they no longer line up and walk down the middle of the road like retards when in towns, which in ArmA was a huge problem for urban combat.

I still see the odd moron that makes me wish I could slap him, but at least it's not half of them this time!

Urban combat is actually fun now. Not perfect, but much better.

Hopefully we see some more improvements in patches to fix the problems.