Sign in to follow this  
freeman23

Complaints about DOF/Blur/Bloom/HDR/Cholesterol etc.etc.

Well 5 more hours and i can check myself... what a boring workday so far :/

Same. I think everyone here in Germany has stayed home to play Arma2. :D

Now the setting is not in the graphics area... it is one of the choices under Options... I think it is the 2nd last or last choice in the list... This brings up a number of choices or use google translate to help... but it is blur..something.. so it sort of stands out..even if you don't speak german... because I don't either...

Oooh, never thought to look there. Must check this later. The german word would probably be "Bewegungsunschärfe". Germans just love their stringed words. :)

Guys some people are prone to motion sickness when they play games.. i have 2 friends that have the same problem, it is pretty common than you think.. some people start feeling sick after they play a game which has alot of motion effects.. no joke.., lucky myself i don't but some people do get it..

That's why we have options t0 turn it off.

Worse come to worse turn all options to their lowest and turn each one up individually until the effect comes back, then we'll know what causes it.

telejunky posted this screenshot in another topic, which illustrates one of the problems with post processing nicely. Who wants to play with the game looking like the right side of the screenshot when moving?

I'd wish for there to be settings to individually turn anything you want on/off instead of them being bunched up into the same options like in Armed Assault. Being forced to turn feature X off because you dont like feature Y is just annoying and entirely unnecessary.

I'd wish for there to be settings to individually turn anything you want on/off instead of them being bunched up into the same options like in Armed Assault. Being forced to turn feature X off because you dont like feature Y is just annoying and entirely unnecessary.

yeah...but the problem is, that it might get to comlicated for some mainstream casual gamers...

yeah...but the problem is, that it might get to comlicated for some mainstream casual gamers...

In ArmA there already is a toggle between simple and advanced options (Dunno about arma 2), and all the settings would not even need to be in the options menu but exist in the user config file where you could manually tweak them to just as you want.

Also, I'd argue that having the sort of "hidden" behaviour you have in ArmA is much more confusing and complicated than being able to see the actual settings properly.

The extra options could be configured seperately. The trick is having the options in there without putting everything in one massive options menu, but adding a level of depth to the menus instead.

Like the Postprocessing option could be like it is now (Low, High, Very High), but also have a little button next to it that pops up a small submenu where you can change each postprocessing effect individually, like DOF, HDR, reflections, etc. The Postprocessing option would then read "Custom". :)

Edited by MadDogX

I am at work and can not remember where extactly it is but you can turn off motion blur... it has 3 settings... High..low..off.. But in german..lol. It is on the same page that you can turn down head wobble...The head wobble is a slider so you can tweak or disable it... I disabled it..just made me sick. The motion blur I turned down to low.. default is high... I like the low setting but high is a tad over the top..

Now the setting is not in the graphics area... it is one of the choices under Options... I think it is the 2nd last or last choice in the list... This brings up a number of choices or use google translate to help... but it is blur..something.. so it sort of stands out..even if you don't speak german... because I don't either...

where is it, can you show it on this screen?

http://hx3.de/community-161/arma2-ersten-eindr-cke-16237/6/#post235537

It's funny seeing everyone trying to work out all the options in German :D

i know german, but dont know where the option is to lower the blur effect when you move your character! :)

but dont know where the option is to lower the blur effect when you move your character! :)

i know: it's gone :(

So I bought the game from the petergames site, and have been loving it since, but two things are bugging me:

Firstly, the amount of Depth-Of-Field in the game. Playing it, it makes me feel as if my character is short-sighted; I have to squint really hard to pick out objects not near me, and it's straining my eyes. Is there any way to remove/tone this down?

Secondly, the huge amount of Bloom/HDR. Whenever I look at the sun, not even directly at it, just glance at the corona, I'm pretty much blinded and the whole screen darkens by a massive amount. I'm sorry, but this is just not realism. How do I tone this down as well?

Apart from these two issues, the game is fantastic, even at this early stage.

Thanks!

- Beacon

I tried giving my dude a pair of glasses but it didn't fix his eyesight. :(

What?! A thread complaining about the HDR and nothing about illuminating cows and compasses that blind you?

imho bis really needs to give us some working :cool: to read compasses on a sunny day...

So does anyone have any idea how to tone down/remove these effects?

Guest RKSL-Rock
So does anyone have any idea how to tone down/remove these effects?

I complained about the same thing on the 505 Press day. Turning off the Post processing helps. Other than that have a play with your graphics driver settings. :(

I'm hoping enough people speak up and maybe BIS will make it a priority for a future patch.

I complained about the same thing on the 505 Press day. Turning off the Post processing helps. Other than that have a play with your graphics driver settings. :(

I'm hoping enough people speak up and maybe BIS will make it a priority for a future patch.

The lowest mine would go was Low, and it's already at that :(

The lowest mine would go was Low, and it's already at that :(

True, you can't even turn those off! I hope we quickly get the option to turn the following very annoying effects off:

1. Blur when running/breathing/turning around. I'm ok with the effect if you would be very exhausted after sprinting for 5 minutes, but to have it after some steps? It practically means I am looking at blurry textures most of the time. If I want that, I will play OPF: DR :)

2. Depth of Field effect. How would the game know which part of the screen I am concentrating at? Silly effect in my opinion that does in no way reflect reality. Look out of the window, everything you are looking at is sharp.

3. HDR. This thing is big time overdone in my opinion with lot's of stuff glowing.

Edited by MBot

I don't want to make a new thread, so I'll post this here, is anyone else experiencing really loud sounds even when all the sliders in the options are as low as they can possibly go?

it got really better with the first patch. the blur when turning is not anoying anymore :) Thx BIS!

Are you sure you're not getting the headache from the refresh rate being too low? (Especially if you got a CRT monitor)

DOF is mostly off (still on some scopes) when setting PP to low, as in Arma 1.

The glowing stuff is "only" annoying and looking strange, but the blur is the worst for me. You can't read your clock/compass while running (not sprinting) and while scanning an area you have to stop, turn, stop, turn, stop so you can see something.

It's giving me a headache and strains my eyes in the futile attempt to focus.

Please make this an option!

Edit:

@beacon: Will send you a PM.

it got really better with the first patch. the blur when turning is not anoying anymore :) Thx BIS!

Most probably because you FPS is higher now - amount of motion blur is dependent on actual framerate. The lower FPS goes the more blur is aplied. Motion blur does not consume FPS it helps to create the video more fluent when framerate drops.