Sign in to follow this  
stilton

Lan Server Settings?

Hi,

When a friend pops over to my house, he plays on my second computer over my 100mbit lan. Typically, i would host an arma game on my primary PC, and he would play on the second one.

Something im putting in the missions i create is causing lag, but what im most curious about is this.. If i were to host the dedicated server app on my PC, and a copy of arma, i would know where to edit the performance options so the game fully utilizes my lan connection, however as i am hosting the games from within the game itself (not using the dedi server app) i am not sure how i can change the bandwidth options/etc.

Any information people can give would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Stilton, I think that stuff can be added to your arma.cfg file which the client should initialise on startup.

You can check the 3rd-4th section down from this post and see if it will apply to LAN as well as Internet games? Hope it helps:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=58761&highlight=bandwidth+settings

I guess you'd have to manually calculate the bandwidth and append it to your arma.cfg. Good luck!

ah, wow.. thanks.

i didnt realise it was that simple ;) here was me thinking that you couldnt change bandwidth settings on a client-initialized server..

Its funny, after i posted and continued searching for other versions of this question ;) there's someone asking the same thing, who gets told that you can't change it :) - i guess i just hope hes wrong and you're right

- It's actually on page 5 by now lol.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=70189

You cannot specify those parameters for a local server as it's really a client acting as a server, not a server with a config.

Those guys have been doing this for a lot longer than I have; I'd take their word over mine, to be honest.

that's what i like to hear! Confidence! :D

i actually hope you're correct and there is some way to fiddle with client-hosted lan settings.. but as im supposed to be doing uni work this very second, i cant really test. some official feedback could sort all this out but ill get around to testing it myself eventually.

thanks for the info anyway ;)