Sign in to follow this  
Blechreiz

ArmA2 crash to desktop

Sure someone write about this.

When you are playing in warfare (depends of your view distance) + view > -lesstime to crash (arma2.exe process stop and a black screen appear about 1 MB used +-200MB). A read a lot of post about to fix this problem but a i dont find nothing.

The problem is for all user (nvidia and ATI).

Comes indepently of your amoung of RAM memory.

The pc's specs dont mater in this BIG BUG.

The CTRL + "-" and write FLUSH dont solve this (The arma2.exe process still growing and the CTD comes in time)

Stop trying with *.cfg.

The real problem is ARMA2 itseft, need a solution.

Other games need more powerful specifications and do not realize hangs continuously.

It is a problem of programming of the game.

We have to realize pressure so that they solve it

Totaly agree with you. Why is this such an issue for arma to handle the memory?

the disapointing thing is that i dont see any support here from BIS side (Iam sure this is already known but there is still no solution for that)

well, i payed for the game and now i cant play it for more than 30 minutes ...

I guess its probably the beta patch or maybe just bad programmed. Here are still alot user who run can arma much more longer with almost same hardware as mine. So is this now impossible to make this game run for me or not ? - please some BIS comment would be nice for this one

regards,

a disapointed customer...

Edited by MrR0ket0

I think they're having trouble locating the problem. From what I've seen it's obviously a video memory issue, but no idea where the problem starts before it cascades into a video memory issue, and even then the problem may be different for different systems.

The other main location issue being that from everyone who has posted the crash issue there doesn't seem to be any common configuration to give a common standpoint to what's causing the crash for these people, or why other people are unaffected.

So best bet is to make sure you have nothing overclocked (set everything to stock) then provide as much information as possible (with some level of balance, and anything that will spam the thread should be put in spoiler tags) and hopefully BIS can find the cause of the problem.

I have to admit that I'd been looking forward to trying to find a solution to this problem but none of my friends that play have the problem and I've never had it myself so I can't figure it out.

Edited by Bulldogs

I can't seem to win with this game. If I set Video Memory to Very High, I get stuttering, seemingly sluggish performance and LOD thrashing, but if I set it to Default, I get much better performance and little to no LOD thrashing, but after an indeterminate amount of time all the textures will flash grey and the game will crash. :(

Anyone else experienced this kind of thing? It seems like the "Default" option is sort of broken. I have 1 GB of VRAM per card in SLI so it should be plenty for the Default setting.

I can't seem to win with this game. If I set Video Memory to Very High, I get stuttering, seemingly sluggish performance and LOD thrashing, but if I set it to Default, I get much better performance and little to no LOD thrashing, but after an indeterminate amount of time all the textures will flash grey and the game will crash. :(

Anyone else experienced this kind of thing? It seems like the "Default" option is sort of broken. I have 1 GB of VRAM per card in SLI so it should be plenty for the Default setting.

I didn't try default after I bought my new card, but with me it's crashing with all sort of settings.

I have a 2GB 5970

I have to admit that I'd been looking forward to trying to find a solution to this problem but none of my friends that play have the problem and I've never had it myself so I can't figure it out.

Really? That's interesting. Do you and your friends play missions that are heavier for you machine, like warfare BE or when diplomacy fails?

Well, and I just played a long game with Video Memory set at Very High. It looks fine and runs fine at first, but as the game goes on more and more stutter happens, and also LODs will not display properly (sometimes you will be right next to a unit and it will be low LOD).

I think this is going to have to be something fixed in a patch, I don't really see any other way around it. Setting it to Default makes it try to use more RAM than is there (or something, I really don't know) and setting it to Very High degrades performance/quality over time.

Well, and I just played a long game with Video Memory set at Very High. It looks fine and runs fine at first, but as the game goes on more and more stutter happens, and also LODs will not display properly (sometimes you will be right next to a unit and it will be low LOD).

I think this is going to have to be something fixed in a patch, I don't really see any other way around it. Setting it to Default makes it try to use more RAM than is there (or something, I really don't know) and setting it to Very High degrades performance/quality over time.

I don't know. It seems to me there is a problem in the game, especially after I tried 2 computers and 4 cards, and with so many people having the same. But apparently not everybody.

I really would like to know what is going on

@dontknowhow : yeah, we play everything we can. Only place we get issues is coop and that's the odd bug now and then

@Maverick : what you're describing is a known bug with windows xp. Not sure if it affects everyone but it affects the few people I play with that use xp. Haven't seen it outside of xp though.

@dontknowhow : yeah, we play everything we can. Only place we get issues is coop and that's the odd bug now and then

So you are playing warfare and derivates? For a long time? Hours?

Okay, sorry if I get more annoying, but I would really like to know more.

Can you post info about your system and your settings? Hardware, OS, Arma version, video settings?

Thanks.

@Maverick : what you're describing is a known bug with windows xp. Not sure if it affects everyone but it affects the few people I play with that use xp. Haven't seen it outside of xp though.

I'm running Win7 x64. :(

I ordered an SSD yesterday, and I'll do a clean install of Win7 when I get that, so I'll see if that helps at all.

As I said, I haven't seen it outside xp myself but I'm sure there would be as they're based on the same system. if you're using -winxp then I'd suggest removing it or maybe try it if you haven't yet, I've also heard that people using older drivers solved the problem under xp (I have the issue myself under xp but setting video memory to high fixes it and I usually run under win 7 anyways)

@maverick :

I'm running;

windows 7 32bit

q9400 (used to run an e7300 before that)

5850 (had a 9800 before that)

4gb of ram

sata hdd's

I usually run the server but sometimes the others do.

We don't often play online though (usually a LAN) but I sometimes play online on random servers myself.

okay, I have been playing when diplomacy fails for almost 5 hours now, and no problems so far. I believe the memory leak is still there, but it seems that the machine now can take it; peak working set now is 1,421,852 K. It went way above 1.2 gigs thus. And it even increases while I'm writing, although just a few kilobytes. And there is not much reason to increase, since the game is almost over: I'm left with 3 cities to take (started with 40) and 3 strongholds. The problem does exist, just it seems that I can live with it now.

What I did:

1) I played when diplomacy fails with no addons. Just plain Arma

2) I deleted the arma2.cfg file

3) I didn't change any setting

4) I used the maxmem=2047 option

5) I used the winxp option

now, I definitely did 1,2,4 in the past. I'm not sure about 3. But 5 is relatively new for me, in the sense that I haven't used it for a few months. Somehow I guess that is the difference for me. Anyway, I want to ask you guys:

- if you have a game that doesn't give you out of memory, can you please tell if you use the winxp option? Also, can you check if your memory increases while you are playing?

- if your game does give you out of memory, can you check if you use it? If not, can you try?

It's too late to finish this game. Tomorrow I'll try warfare BE. With some luck I'll be the king of Chernarus

EDIT - sorry Bulldogs, I didn't read your post well enough. Looks like we had the same thought :) Yeah, I think winxp did it, but I need to check better

Edited by dontknowhow

I don't usually play with -winxp, my command line (without mods) is just : -cpucount=4

I usually play without mods as unless the mission is designed for the mods then there's usually a lot of issues (in many cases they'll bug out altogether, some funny ones with WDF and ACE)

Mods also lower my FPS, but I live with it when I want to play some ACE games.

When I get more time I'll play some WDF and see if I get a mass memory increase.

Nope, with warfare BE I had again out of memory. Peak working set is 1246208 K. So it's back.

Could it be that one of the addons prevents me from going above 1.2 gigs? That would be weird. Or maybe I was just lucky yesterday?

I will remove some addons and see what happens.

A large majority of addons are incompatible with BIS missions. The first thing to do is to disable all addons/mods

Well, it turns out that probably I was just lucky. I tried again with when diplomacy fails, without loading addons: I thought it was going well, but after 5 hours and 22 minutes the bloody out of memory showed himself.

The problem is still there, just less.

so any updates about this? or is this thread already dead? my arma still keeps crashing -.-

As long as you've disabled all mods then try downloading the latest beta patch (look in the beta section of the forums). That fixes several crash issues.

Whit a clear launch i reach to 1gb and then CTD.

Try to set view distance in 4000m and you game locks more quick.

I think that the solution will be pass for clear the used memory for old historic textures and graphics.

A lot of people are hungry for a real solution. WE NEED A STABLE GAME IN MP AND SP WITHOUT CTD (Crash to desktop).

Brand new store bought copy, installed with 1.05 patch, still crashing to desktop at various moments in single player and editor. Task manager indicates arma32.exe is still active. All drivers and updates are up to date.

Win7x64

AMD Phenom II X4 at 2.8ghz

4Gb DDR2 1066

xfx 5770

when it works it's a beautiful game, even with the settings dropped, but frankly all these crashes keep me from playing more than i would've wanted to :(

Edited by sha12pie

I no longer have out of memory errors with the new patch 1.07, and I don't have them in OA either. The problems I did have were related to virtual memory though (ie the out of memory error) so if you have the crash in OA or with patch 1.07 I would suggest setting your virtual memory equal to 1.5 times your amount of RAM or setting it to be managed by windows automatically. Also with patch 1.07 I would advise against using the maxmem=2047 parameter or the =winxp parameter for with the new patch the exe is now large address aware and using these parameters basically removes that improvement and may cause system instability.

Edited by Component Actual
problem solved with patch 1.07

hi there,

after a few mins of playin i get this error:

Problemereignisname: APPCRASH

Anwendungsname: arma2oa.exe

Anwendungsversion: 1.52.71.816

Anwendungszeitstempel: 4c29f442

Fehlermodulname: arma2oa.exe

Fehlermodulversion: 1.52.71.816

Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4c29f442

Ausnahmecode: c0000005

Ausnahmeoffset: 00290ea6

Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Gebietsschema-ID: 1031

Zusatzinformation 1: 410a

Zusatzinformation 2: 410a69014c6015eb0bd9403f7701f9e9

Zusatzinformation 3: c10a

Zusatzinformation 4: c10a8a6095efaecc890e3920fd21b99e

iam :confused: because i dont know the reason of this error message. can anybody help me plz!!!

my system:

Phenom II X4 955 BE @3,2 Ghz (No OC)

ASRock K10N78M-Pro

ATI HD5750 1Gb DDR5 (No OC)

4Gb OZC Revision II DDR2 800

Windows 7 Ulimate x64:(:(

Hey guys I need some help

I have the same problem for some of you

When I begin playing within a few minutes game crashes to the desktop

The problem occurs when I am Playing arma2OA But it does not occur when I playing arma2

GPU:NVIDIA 9500 GT DRIVER VERSION :196.21

CPU:INTEL PENTIUM 4 3400MHZ DUAL CORE

MEMORY:2048 (2GB)

The question is..... where is the problem ?

Edited by knight_sy

Is any error displayed after the CTD?

Hi guys

Somebody know about my problem?

Installed fine and can play Tutorials and Armory without crashing.

But when I start new campaign, It immediately crashes with below message...

Program name: APPCRASH

Process name: arma2oa.exe

etc

etc...

Anyone know why? plz help me...

My System

i5-430

ATI HD5650

DDR3 2GB RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Edited by fokv2342

Is any error displayed after the CTD?

the computer says :

ARMA2OA STOPPED WORKING

and I Got This Details:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: arma2OA.exe

Application Version: 1.51.71.83

Application Timestamp: 562b029a

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 7c809750

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 1933786447

I agree fokv2342 with his problem (I can Play the Tutorials and Armory without crashing)

But every time I play the campaign Only for a few minutes and then crash

or sometimes It immediately crashes when i press start :(

Edited by knight_sy