Sign in to follow this  
Blechreiz

ArmA2 crash to desktop

I've got the same problem :(

Edited by Guy123

The Bluescreens have disappeared since I remove the Game-DVD from the dvd-drive after i fired up the game. I still have CTDs though. I have the bad feeling that it is securom's fault.

All are suffering from the crashes - me too. I tried Windows Vista, Windows 7, XP comatibility mode, several graphic settings, different Nvidia drivers (Asus Rampage Extreme, Quad Core, 4GB mem, 280 GTX). I figured out, that the crashes doesn't depend on the graphic settings. The main factor seems to be the mission (Manhattan!), and the generation of reloaded savegame. It starts with a consumtion of 600 MB and short before the crash the taskmanager reveals >1500 MB. A logfile would be great. The longer I played, the greater the chance of a crash, even if no mouse has been moved. Later the saving in singleplayer was impossible because of a crash with the message "cannot commit" or so. very often I got a message like "out of memory, unable to allocate blocks".

You cannot give the advise to limit memory usage. This is not the job of the user. The program has the chance to check all types of available memory at starting and to exit in a normal way if the conditions are not met:butbut:.

Regardless of this the game has enormous potential. The graphics are first class!

Edited by Steinfisch

I have to correct my post that my CTDs went with Patch. They became less but it's not fixed yet. I still have problems especially with save-games in certain missions: worse is Manhattan.

I try to save -> CTD; Save-File not Updated. I tried to move previous save-file to a seperate folder... problem still remains.

Tried the maxmem stuff, XP-compatility, grafiks settings etc... problem keeps the same.

As longer I play a mission (like i have to do in Manhattan-Mission) as longer gets the save-file. At apprx. 75MB for the save-file it got impossible to save the game without CTD (had to use ENDMISSION-cheat to proceed with campaign in Manhattan-mission).

I also encounter a LOT of ctd.

Most of them are gone by optimizing graphic settings and using 182.50.

But one REALLY annoying one is here now. Im playing the Manhattan mission and every time I now save the game crashes and a few minutes later a box comes up stating "cannot commit".

This happens EVERY time I save now. Even those autosaves. Thus making the mission impossible to complete because there are autosaves which make the game crash now. And I tried like everything, but nothing works :/

Anybody found a solution yet to that cannot commit savebug?

Edited by Alienfreak

I know how to fix the problem where saves dont work after game crashes.

What u do is u go to where th saves are under my docs and cut the saves to a different folder and than paste them back. Worked for me and got Manhattan done pretty fast.

Same problem only online tho :confused:

And only started today, assumed it was certain scripted missions on servers but now happening on all servers.

Either at respawn or when in a vehicle with others.

E6850,2gb,4870,Xp and latest cats no error just BAM! desktop.

Worked fine last night now had a CTD on every server i have been on today, obviously the day i reccomend to my workmates :(

Hey guys, I thought I'd take the leap and join the forums since I have been watching this thread for developments because I to share the same problems.

For some strange reason I believe these apparently random crashes are something to do with vehicle movement close to your vicinity, seems that way for me anyway. I'm not saying it definatly crashes when i vehicle is close.

Also I wanted to not that I managed to recover from a crash about an hour ago. I get the usual super quick CTD (im on windows 7 btw) and as the crash report stuff was ticking over and doing its normal nothing, I clicked back on to ArmA2, and the crash report stuff disappered as well as ArmA2 recovering and me playing on for anotehr 10-20mins.

Wierd eh?

I just had my first CTD durring the basic training obstacle coarse section

I am experiencing CTD's all the time.

Edited by HHawk

I played the demo well with no ctd's or anything yet for some reason I buy the retail game off steam and I cant even get past the main menu, everytime I click an option no matter which it is the game CTD's.....Good times.

Rather than making a new thread I will post my crap in here,

So I bought the game 2 days, after 2 BSOD (Well, not really, I deactivated it so comp auto reboot) I decided to install latest patch, and I got the same result.

I have to admit I first downlaoded the game when it was released in germany, and fact is, it never crashed once. Smooth and perfect. Altho I experienced fades there was nothing to whine about. (On a side note I first thought the shitty accuracy was normal and I even considered not buying it- OHLOL!)

But now that I bought the game (In belgium), I'm rewarded with crashes. At least my guns are highly accurate, I managed to try SVD for about 7 minutes and that M16 (or whatever it's called nowadays) for around 3 minutes! More exclamation marks !!!!!

My System spec : 4 Giga ram, Cpu 4x2.5ghz, Nvidia 9800 Gtx +

Not that it matters, as I already pointed out I had NO PROBLEM on the illegal DLed version of the game. Now make your own conclusions. If you need more info just ask, maybe error log or any such things. Much hate.

From what I hear, the illegal downloaded version (other than containing a virus) leaves it's installation information in the registry (and screws with securom)

So if you tried to uninstall that then installed the retail version then you're most likely getting the crash 'cause of an argument between the registry keys.

Well as I'm an internet tough guy, I only download quality games from the scene.

And simply the fact that bajillions other people get random crashes as well makes me think we can't really blame on the P2P.

But I'll still investigate in my registry. Thank you for your time.

Now, hoping that Placebo and the other devs still read this thread I decided to post my own issues too.

I dont really experience any CTD's, but what I do is experiencing crashes of the graphics driver (every 10-40 minutes, only IG)

All of a sudden the game stops for a sec (sound goes on) and I'm back on the desktop, while ArmA is still runningin the taskbar. Also, I still hear hear the ingame sound. When I move the mouse around the sources of the sound move with the motion - so its really just the graphics that crashed.

Now, it MAY be (but it also may not, ofc) that this crash leads to a CTD or a bluescreen on other systems than mine (specs in sig).

Sometimes I get this message:

wddm_timeout.gifj

just without the "lddmkm". I'm using the german version of win 7 and there it just says that my display driver has crashed and was restored / "has recovered".

Having read this:

Despite it may sound quite crazy, there is one suggestion, you should try to downgrade your nvidia drivers. I assume by latest drivers you mean

GeForce/ION Driver Release 185 WHQL Version: 185.85 Release Date: May 06, 2009

Unfortunately, we couldn't test the game on these drivers on time for the release thoroughly so it was tested on previous drivers only. We have now some reports that these drivers have created major issues under Vista and rollback to previous version 182.50 surprisingly cured it. I am yet awaiting on some intel about these latest drivers and Windows XP but it may be well worth trying.

I now decided to try the abovementioned drivers for windows vista on win 7 rc.

Still, the idea came to my mind that those crashed may be related to the wddm, the windows display driver model. I dont want to guess around what the problem with wddm might be or might not be, I'm just asking if it _could_ be a potential "bad guy" whos responsible for the crashes.

Anyway, I dont think that I'll get an answer all too quickly, so in the meantime I'll try 182.50 drivers and report back If they worked.

And I wanted to add that I dont want to hijack this thread. Just came to my mind that it might be a good idea to suggest a possible solution.

Regards

Edited by -s!Gm4-

So, heres the update, as promised.

Instead of a "healthy" graphics driver crash as before, I now get a bluescreen and finally a reboot with the 182.50 drivers.

In the bluescreen (which was barely long enough on the screen to see what's the problem) it is mentioned, that nvlddmkm crashed. Recognise it? The same bad guy as above.

Well, after all it does not suprise me, since the 182.50 drivers were made for 32bit Vista, not for Windows 7.

All in all I took three teste - during the first one I was ably to play for 20 minutes, in the second around 10 minutes and the third allowed me 15 minutes of playing time.

So, for now I'll be updating to the latest drivers - tested or not - for they gave me at least the opportunity to not have to reboot my system completely.

I have this seriously annoying problem. When I start the game it'll run fine untill I start the campaign or play any game type. I'll be playing for about 1-2 mins and then my computer will freeze up have random spazzing of different colours and I then have to restart my computer. I have latest patches latest video drivers and everything. :mad:

Specs:

Intel Core2 Quad 2.40ghz Q6600 Processor

Gigabyte Nvidia 8800gt Zalman Fan

4gb RAM

500gb Hard Drive

500W PSU

Windows XP Version 2002 SP3

Directx 9.0c

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L FSB1333 DDR800 PCI-E

I then yesterday played the game and I don't know why but it worked I had done everything as I normally do except change the difficulty to regular :confused: But i tried again today and it started doing its usual.

I had the exact same experience as Jasantana. I have a 9800GT and everything is updated. I was able to play fine the first day for hours on end. The next day my problems started and I haven't been able to play more than a few moments before a crash to desktop.

Same problem, here, I ve played without any problem for a week and today keeps crashing all the time.

Win XP,XFX GTX 275, Pentium 9300 quad and 4gb of ram

"Too many virtual blocks requested." or "cannot commit".

And crash to desktop. What to do?

I have had this error in saving campaign Arma2/Dogs of war. Tried arma2 video memory settings, windows xp compability settings and maxmem2048 and no-world and no-splash.

(No error dump such as Bohemia requested: "ARMA2.rpt + ArmA2.mdmp or ArmA2.bidmp")

arma2retail engl/1.02 win7

i8400/gigabyte p38/4gb/ati4850crossfire512+512/raid 0 500gb(defragged)

Edited by karitans
trouble again

rubbish, trash, totally BS, still under develop.

arma 1 buggy, unstable but i can play for 5+ hours b4 encounter any problem

arma 2 with patch1.02 its still bloody buggy, unstable, de sycn, laggy and worst of alllllll it crash every couple min crash crash crash crash crash crash crash crash, even set quality to way lower then my pc can handle, but stil crash crash crash.

love the game since 2006, i hav been putting up with the lag, bug and crash for so long, now i m really sick of it cause its worst then ever, worst then arma 1 even.

BI u freaking rubbish can't wait for OFP2 release so i don;t hav to stuck with arma2 ever again