Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

ARMA 2 DE 1.01 (final) Impressions - Post ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

edit: Final 1.01 patch is out and ready for download

edit: Remember! All you see/read in this thread comes from the German relase only. The game has been already patched to version 1.01. It's not relased worldwide yet.

edit: An old news, but in case someone missed it. Maruk posted here

We are finalizing an updated version of the game that should be the version to be released later next month in other territories (including North America, the official announcements coming soon)
That's already confirmation there of another patch for the German version beside 1.01

Please post your impressions here in an organized way.

1. Post your PC specs!

2. Post your language/version/patch!

3. Clearly state whether you actually have the game, or just heard/read somewhere about the thing you're posting!

4. Please allow ppl who actually played the game to post their thoughts, don't spam.

5. Edit your previous posts if the issue you were talking about is already resolved (add the solution to your first post for the ppl who read the thread for the first time).

edit:

Final 1.0.1 patch is out. Download @ http://http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/folder.html?lang=de

Here's what user MadDogX wrote about the previous (beta) version of the patch:

First impression of the beta patch so far (just played for about an hour) is excellent! The AI are much more responsive. In the few simple AI test missions I made, the AI actions are a lot smoother and more coordinated. No more "confused" looking AI.

Also my framerate in large cities like Chernogorsk is better and a lot more stable. Just tested a couple of SP and training missions and have encountered no problems so far.

edit:

Here are my fav. movies/reviews:

1. For ppl who complain about the AI.

"Arma 2 AI Awareness Experiment" by sincover47 - AI desn't cheat. It in fact does suppress player based on where it "saw/heard" you. Really good vid. A must-see

- as author says. It's an urban legend. ArmA/ArmA 2 AI won't spot you through a bush if you just stay there and don't move. It'll fire through it though if you have been seen hiding in it, or heard.

"Arma2 AI smoke block test" by acog99 - nope, it doesn't see through smoke.

- Just "wow". I'm impressed.

- shows raction time/accuracy and ROF

- AI do surrender, you need a game logic for that.

- ROF, engagement range etc. Really nice!

- it really does suppress you;)

Vehicles:

"ArmA 2 - AI Flight Patterns - Part 2" by JohnnyBoy755 - placing planes on the wrong side of the runway [left one?] results in strange taxi behaviour. Also C130 needs some tweaking;)

Gameplay/Immerssion:

- never gets old

- epic clip

- Another "wow!" here. You really need to see this.

- ArmA 2 lookin' really good...

-
Myself in a CDF Patrol lead by AI. Skills all on 1.0 (max.)

I placed this Ambient Combat Manager Game-Logic on map and sync'ed with my own Squad.... I was quite shocked and Impressed as suddenly out of nowhere M1A1 Tanks, Hinds and JSF Planes appeared....

Another "wow"!

- playable rabbit fun

Mods (yeah, that's right! Just in case you missed it):

No motion blur/bloom mod by Kegetys -

It allows disabling the motion blurs and optionally the "bloom" as well. Disabling the motion blur effect seems to increase the fps as well, an official fix would propably increase it a bit more since this one just replaces the PS effect with a direct copy "effect".

- ArmA2 gone WW2 already Edited by funnyguy1

I want to know that as well. There are many threads and many posts, but to little about the game. Is it good? Does the AI do a good job? Come on... tell!

Well i just played around in the editor and played the training missions but i already can say this is a rough jewel for me.

It is quite the opposite of A1, it feels quick, lot less sluggish, the graphics are extremely beautifull and the effects like the motion blur and head wobbling really add to the atmosphere.

And it runs super smooth where A1 was rather sluggish for me, the last patch changed that a bit but still A1 wasnt feeling perfect.

And what i really hated in A1 was the flying, in A2 its really fun, still not super easy but it feels very responding so you can easily fly between trees with your helicopter, strike targets with unguided weapons or land very precisely.

I know the pros did that too in A1 but in A2 even i can have fun flying without much training.

The Ai so far seems a bit 50/50, the seemed to use the cover and moved around flanking me but it seems often they dont fire too fast at me.

But i need to play some actual missions and see if the campaign has bugs, the core game itself seems very ok to me, a bit patching here and there and i have no doubt that this game is a true OFP sequel.

However that is just my opinion and i have to admit i overlook a few lil bugs when the game itself feels great.

My Specs:

XP professional SP2

AMD Phenom X4 9850

AMD/ATI HD4870 512MB

4GB DDR2-800 Ram ( XP only uses 3,3Gb of it though )

All settings are High or Highest only the postprocessing effect is switched to lowest because that blur is very annoying, yet you still have lots of situation depending blur effects on that setting.

Edited by Shadow NX

I'd appreciate if someone who has the game would tell is the annoying mouse autocentering thing when driving vehicles still there or they've gone back to OFP style fluid mouse steering? I remember BIS saying they will definitely do something about it in Arma 2 and that's one of the things I'm looking most forward to in the game.

German Version

Intel Core i7 920 (O'c to 3.2Ghz)

ATI HD4870 512MB

6GB DDR3 1600 Ram

Vista Ultimate 64bit

1080 X1920 Resolution

As a whole, it feels a lot more complete than Arma ever did. There are some bugs left (visual and otherwise), but my overall feeling is very positive.

Immersion Factor:

First of all the immersion in Arma 2 is second to none; from the ambient sounds of the wilderness, to the "clank" that your gear makes when you're running, the game does an excellent job of putting you in the atmosphere.

Graphics:

Graphically, Arma 2 has its highs and lows. The environment and vehicles look stunning, while the character models could use a little more detail.There are some minor graphical bugs (Tree LOD switching constantly between low/high res, some animations don't sync properly) but again Arma 2's graphics is a sum of its parts. (The first time you see the sun glistening on a pond I guarantee that your jaw will hit the floor :) )

The AI:

One area in which Arma 2 seems not to have improved (significantly) is the AI. Enemies still lay in the middle of the road waiting to be shot, AI movement is still janky and they seem to take a while to respond to threats (more testing needed). On the plus side the AI do use hand signals (as do you) when ordering subordinates, and they do use cover occasionally.

Performance:

Given that it is the first release, Arma 2 performs reasonably well. With my rig, I can set most settings on High/Very High and get a very respectable 45-60 fps. However, I tested framerates on empty islands with no AI or scripts running. I fully expect it to run at about 25-35 fps when I start the campaign. As a side note: The fillrate slider is an FPS killer, I had to leave that setting at 100 or I would get HUGE framerate drops.

Playability:

Arma 2 is, in my opinion, BIS's best game yet. Improved player animations, smoother transitions, reloading while moving etc. all add up to provide a much more comprehensive game than Arma ever was. With a little more polish (and a few more patches), I think it could be a sleeper hit of 2009.

Any more questions? Let me know. I will do my best to answer.

Any more questions? Let me know. I will do my best to answer.

How far are the vehicles and soldiers drawn? In ArmA1, even if u set the viewdistance to 10 km and see the entire island, the objects are not drawn very far. I really hated it when I was trying to play as a pilot properly, flying at altitudes above 3km. So I couldnt go on realistic recon missions with my A10 cus i had to fly at 2km so that tanks and stuff like that would be drawn.

It would feel so epic to fly at 10 km and bomb the shit out of the enemy in MP, they wouldnt even know what hit em!!! :D:D:D

Btw, sry for so many drawns :D

lol grr placebo i was going from what the Arma theads have haah, but nevermind :D good post trinni

Post deleted.

Edited by Laqueesha

How far are the vehicles and soldiers drawn? In ArmA1,

The furthest I could spot an enemy soldier at was about 2000m, this was done at a viewdistance of 10km and an object detail of very high.

In your opinion Trini Scourge, is ArmA 2 better than the stage OFP 1 was when it first came out in 2001?

My answer to this is a definite "Hell Yea!"

How are the damage models? Still 1 hit kills??

And what for tank armor simulations? In ArmA1 you could kill tank with enough shots from machinegun, if you had enough time to spend on that process.

Matt R had a You tube link for one but You tube says its Pvt?.

Edited by SAbre4809

Arma2 - AI "Suppresses" Me.

GF9600GT with everything on mid to high. Fraps reduced FPS by half - from nearly 40 to ~22.

Dunno if the AI realls suppresses me or simply fire at me because they saw me...

Wow, I love the atmosphere in that video. Did you use any gamelogics?

In terms of AI, those videos are like night and day. The first one shows the AI not reacting at all when the player is 10 feet away. Yet the second video shows the AI impressively pinning down the player with suppressive fire. I have a feeling the overall perfomance is (or at least will be) closer to the one in the second video.

Additionally the first video shows that tracked vehicles do indeed sway back and forth when they stop :bounce3: Great motor sounds, too.

Additionally the first video shows that tracked vehicles do indeed sway back and forth when they stop

I also have that feeling by looking to the videos.

The Heavy Armored Vehicles need to transmit a more feeling of heaviness.

Keep coming the videos, they look very nice :)

In terms of AI, those videos are like night and day. The first one shows the AI not reacting at all when the player is 10 feet away. Yet the second video shows the AI impressively pinning down the player with suppressive fire. I have a feeling the overall perfomance is (or at least will be) closer to the one in the second video.

Additionally the first video shows that tracked vehicles do indeed sway back and forth when they stop :bounce3: Great motor sounds, too.

thats what I thought but I remember reading that tehre are different difullcty levels so teh dumb AI might be only on easy mode and the 2nd vid might be on hard/ realistic mode. I dont know though Im only guessing. I just want to shove it on the hardest setting and play the campain online with real people as I hate having to command AI friendly troops makes me loose all interest in games.

Jesus Christ the Coop Campaign Rocks..... I hope the community will make some awesome Coop Campaigns later on too.... this is really something fun bringing!

If it wouldn't CTD you.... :p

is there actually a difficulty level for the AI? In the game's settings I mean for ArmA2? I almost never played the single player campaign in ArmA (jumped right into the MP).

Jesus Christ the Coop Campaign Rocks..... I hope the community will make some awesome Coop Campaigns later on too.... this is really something fun bringing!

If it wouldn't CTD you.... :p

I can't wait to make some coop missions. Anyone know if there is a "revive" respawn option? This is the option that i'm looking for the most.

I can't wait to make some coop missions. Anyone know if there is a "revive" respawn option? This is the option that i'm looking for the most.

are we already converting? hehe