Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

ARMA 2 DE 1.01 (final) Impressions - Post ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Hi mr71mb0

Still playing it in German may be a good way of learning a language.

Yaah mein Deutch skills arz becoming viel besser!

Arma2 macht viel spass!

I'm sorry i couldn't resist :)

Ontopic: so far I like what I've seen. Allthough I'm not all for the motion blur thing...

More a yellowish dot as bullet hit effect as it already was in ArmA on some objects.

Making a real hole appear in trees depending on where they were hit is a idea for a game in ten years i assume.

Shame that even in ArmA two there still is just the dot effect, cant be so hard to make a hole texture with some cracks around it that appears instead of the dot, would look a lot more atmospheric at least.

http://www.arma2.com/chernarussian-movement-of-the-red-sta-2_en.html look at the video, you will see that the bullet hole effect on the trees. Am just wondering why its not in ArmA 2 this moment.

By the way IMHO Morphicon hoped to leach a few 505 sales by releasing early and BIS may have benefited from some beta testing. The Morphicon market make excelent beta testers.

If that´s meant to be funny, it´s not.

Keep it for yourself next time.

Shame that even in ArmA two there still is just the dot effect

It's not just a dot, but it's not a hole either : its small pieces of woods sticking out of the bullet impact.

bullets going through tree trunks ? what kind of bullet is that ?

no thanks

Several rifle calibers are very capable of punching through trees.

My impression report:

GRAPHICS

OUTSTANDING!! The way that dust lingers in the air after some tanks drive by is awesome. Instead of a fog bank that goes to the sky you can see mountain peaks rise above it in the distance. The faces aren't that impressive, but not too bad. You can tell that it's from a laser scan, but not a big deal. I think the explosion effects aren't that great but better than arma1. I also thought that the NVG had more of a bluish tint in the previews I've seen but the final product so far is a big improvement vs. A1.

GAMEPLAY

Very good, very smooth, but a little laggy in the cities. Huge improvement with aircraft! The motion blur when moving the head is a relief! Instead of my PC trying to update and render something that I don't plan on focusing on it runs much smoother!

AI

At this point it's hard for me to find faults, but as I try to make more MP coop missions i'm sure I will find some. I love how the Ai use bounding overwatch, travel near cover in danger areas, and don't get caught up on stuff too much (thanks to their supernatural ability to clip through objects). I think the sore point for Ai is operating vehicles, especially convoys that are supposed to stay on the road in a column formation. Lastly, it's a little inconvenient team switching because when I change to other units I am no longer team leader and the Ai kinda get in my way. It would be nice if I could retain my ability to boss them around whoever I chose to switch to.

EDITOR

I probably don't have enough exp. with it but I love the module idea! Pretty disappointed to see that there isn't a built-in revive after death respawn option for description.ext. Also a bit bummed out that there isn't a way to place and edit placement of objects in 3D. It will be nicer when there are more wiki articles covering how to do stuff in A2 like briefs.

CAMPAIGN

So far so good, but not into it very far yet. I'm hoping there will be some missions where I don't have to baby sit razor team.

CONCLUSION

So far it's freaking awesome, but I think I will upgrade my PC to improve game performance. I really want a very far viewing distance (10k) with atleast 100% fill rate @ 1680X1050. Look foward to the next patch with the hopes that it will include what i'm hoping for as far as the mission editor goes along with Ai vehicle operation. GOOD JOB BOHEMIA STAFF!!!!!

Version:

German 1.01

System Specs:

Intel C2D E6600 (2.4Ghz)

2GB ram

GTX 260

Windows XP

Video settings:

1680X1050

2,500M VD

Fill rate = 100%

Normal settings for textures and other advanced VC settings

Average FPS = 30

Another major concern for me is that the save system doesn't work properly in multiplayer COOP. If one razor member dies, and this will almost definatly happen in long missions like manhatten, it sometimes loads the right, the last autosave. But most of the time it just restarts the mission. This is not acceptable, the game MUST allow to load specific multiplayer savegames, if it can not load the correct one on it's own.

One big question still hasn't been answered by those who have it: How "open" is the campaign?

Some of the pre-release info made it sound incredibly open (as in the player could opt to side with NAPA or ChDKZ, doing more or less whatever they please,) but the fact that nobody really seems to be talking about it makes me think that this isn't the case.

How open is it?

And how persistent is the world from mission to mission (in other words, if a building gets destroyed or a person gets killed, is this info stored somewhere for future missions?)

My impression report:

AI

At this point it's hard for me to find faults, but as I try to make more MP coop missions i'm sure I will find some. I love how the Ai use bounding overwatch, travel near cover in danger areas, and don't get caught up on stuff too much (thanks to their supernatural ability to clip through objects). I think the sore point for Ai is operating vehicles, especially convoys that are supposed to stay on the road in a column formation. Lastly, it's a little inconvenient team switching because when I change to other units I am no longer team leader and the Ai kinda get in my way. It would be nice if I could retain my ability to boss them around whoever I chose to switch to.

Thanks, Nate. With this you answered a question I posted earlier. On this point, when switching back to your original position of being team leader, I take it you are once again in control of the team?

Also, take this scenario for example - if you're playing a mission where you need your sniper to be in a very specific position, watching a very precise direction, by switching to the sniper and getting into position and then switching back to team leader, does he (the sniper) behave himself and stay exactly where you left him? (even perhaps by ordering a 'halt' command before switching to him?)

Lastly, does this principle apply throughout the game or is it only with Razor team?

Thanks.

Well, I could probably post a whole page of things I am unhappy about with Arma2, things that are not in, bugs and so on.

Thing is though, I have an incredible amount of fun with Arma2, and when it CTD occasionaly I can't wait until I have fired it up again.

So it is far from perfect, but it is the best there is.

@BI: please, if anyway possible, don't do a "rushed" release of any game again, you are hurting yourself, I don't think everybody is such a freak as I am. I know I will have fun for years to come, as with OFP and Arma1!

From those who already tried ArmA2 1.01 can you confirm that the shadow while in 1st person view and while using the setting very high shadow details do not affect the AK-47 GL?

rap4_ak-47_gl_front.gif

I ask this because i noticed that the shadow from houses and the body do affect the body and arms, but seems not to affect the weapon it self.

(at 2mins and 55 secs)

If this in fact happens what more weapons have this flaw?

Can someone confirm or denny this please?

edit: i doubt that all house models not have the prefershadowvolume=0 and the sbsource=shadowvolume, maybe its just the weapon (model) properties fault. Experts know more then me.

Edited by bravo 6

C-130 Rolling Down the Strip

Edited by MattXR

Great improvement from Armed Assault, much more so than ArmA was from OFP (which to me felt like a big let down, barely played it), feels a lot more like the game that was promised; that said, the german release is really too early and there seems to be quite a few issues still, I will be happily awaiting whatever patches/improvements the 505 release brings

I know that from watching videos one can't have a completely accurate feel of the game.

But I'm blown away from everything I've watched (about 40 so far).

The game looks better than crysis. The AI is fantastic. The semi-dynamic campaign is pure gold. Even videos from people complaining about something or other are fantastic.

The only thing I've faulted is the

"Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! Go! I'll cover! "

thing.

And the Bigfoot. Where's the Bigfoot?! I bet the community magicos have found the model already and are holding out on us.

And the Bigfoot. Where's the Bigfoot?!

He's looking for cover.

C-130 Rolling Down the Strip

Cool video, but after singing that cadence everyday for 4 years, I can't hear it anymore without my ears bleeding.

Can I see more vids please? I love vids. That s why I come to this post.

Edited by ScorpionGuard

bullets going through tree trunks ? what kind of bullet is that ?

no thanks

AK47 & 74 has been going trough tree since Vietnam. Where have you been? Any heavy grained projectile can pass through tree and other objects.

If you would read this thread and many others and check the user videos, you would see that it's actually the opposite.

The optimum machine at the moment is probably a G9800GT and a 3Ghz Dual Core (as seen in the recent 505 London presentation, with PC provided by nvidia), NOT an i7 and G285 SLI.

At the moment, brand spanking new hardware gives (seeminlgy) inferior results... (or at least not much better. Extensive comparison still needs to be done properly).

Actually, my rig is

Athlon 64 X2 6000 @3.1ghz

4GB Corsair XMS TwinX ram @ 1066mhz

GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB

And I can barely run this, it's not playable...

I've tried various drivers, this is just sadly a poorly developed game. I'ma going to have to wait a year like I did with Arma 1 sadly :(

Wow, great videos.

The AI in this game is impressive.

Thanks.

And 58 pages? Damn that was fast.

Can anyone confirm this? I was playing around with nvidia settings and I forced off Vert Sync and seemed like my fps went from around 50 to 90. Still testing but it was a large performance increase.