Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

Turrets on planes..

possible this time around?

well in ARMA1 the su34 had a gunner seat so it definitely is possible, if the mv22 or any other plane which you are talking about will have turrets in ARMA2, we'll have to wait till the modders are set loose onto the game.

this is still quite a broad question though, please make it clearer what you are trying to say.

And the MQ-9 uav will most likely have some sort of defense turret (i hope), if not, i hope the hellfire and laser-guided bombs on it will satisfy you.

well in ARMA1 the su34 had a gunner seat so it definitely is possible, if the mv22 or any other plane which you are talking about will have turrets in ARMA2, we'll have to wait till the modders are set loose onto the game.

this is still quite a broad question though, please make it clearer what you are trying to say.

And the MQ-9 uav will most likely have some sort of defense turret (i hope), if not, i hope the hellfire and laser-guided bombs on it will satisfy you.

By turrets he probably means guns that are rotatable like on helicopters. I believe in OFP and ArmA1 this was not possible. Engine limitation.

Not that.

By turrets he probably means guns that are rotatable like on helicopters. I believe in OFP and ArmA1 this was not possible. Engine limitation.

This.

Considering we have the MQ-9 maybe we will have aircraft turrets. Maybe then we can have laser painting aircraft like Rock wanted to do...

Guest RKSL-Rock

Considering we have the MQ-9 maybe we will have aircraft turrets. Maybe then we can have laser painting aircraft like Rock wanted to do...

Jan from BIS told me on the 505 day that the MQ-9 does have a turret and you can designate targets with a laser etc. But he did say he "wasnt 100%sure if it would work with guns but logically it must." We'll have to see.

Anyone know a german guy with a copy of arma2 then? ;)

We can ask how it works :D

Guest RKSL-Rock
RKSL-Rock: I already did :p

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault-armed-assault-2-discussion/139761-guess-what-3.html#post1279428

Be warned though, some disappointing things in that thread :(

Its about what i expected to be honest. I am a little curious about that AI thought we saw some definate improvements in the 505 version... Maybe that one of the differences between the Germand and 505 releases?

Getting back ontopic: I believe the UAVs use the same method as the VBS2 system or atleast a derivative. Basically its down to an engine change thats allows turrets on UAV class fixed wing planes.

I've not actually tried putting a turreted plane into VBS2 yet... Maybe a project for tomorrow :P

Be ambitions, make a B-29!

Would be nice to see (for the ww2 people) a working Lancaster bomber, would also be nice to see a B-17 Flying Fortress. :D

Would test how well turrets work on planes if it’s now possible, as from what I know the Lancaster has at least 3 gunner platforms (am I right?:confused:) and the B-17 quite a few from what I remember when I looked at one in a museum once.

Ah, the age-old engine limitations like turrets for air class drivers. We'll see.

I think you will find that the guys at loki's nightmare broke this myth it is possible but they had no good model's to use like a c130 so that went with a v22 gunship but it ether died or has been forgotten

Guest RKSL-Rock
I think you will find that the guys at loki's nightmare broke this myth it is possible but they had no good model's to use like a c130 so that went with a v22 gunship but it ether died or has been forgotten

It is not a myth. The engine does not support turrets on planes. There are solutions to the problem but they require scripting. I dont know what Loki's solution was but the model and config system never worked on planes.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Ha lol

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

. It worked for UAVs, and to some extent for gunships but the faster you flew the last able the turret became. For SP planes it was no problem but for multi-crewed planes like the AC-130 the MP sync issues meant the system became impractical over 300-400kph. Which made the AC-130 adaptation of the scripts impractical.

Would be nice to see (for the ww2 people) a working Lancaster bomber, would also be nice to see a B-17 Flying Fortress. :D

I have seen on youtube that some guy converted MS Flight Simulator model of Boeing into ArmA, even with the cockpit. It's not a simple one-click conversion process, but once some modders set their mind on this, we might be getting an awful lot of nice looking plane addons :bounce3:

EDIT: that's the video

Edited by Myshaak
adding video

The 737 is incredible :D

Guest RKSL-Rock
I have seen on youtube that some guy converted MS Flight Simulator model of Boeing into ArmA, even with the cockpit. It's not a simple one-click conversion process, but once some modders set their mind on this, we might be getting an awful lot of nice looking plane addons :bounce3:

EDIT: that's the video

Yeah and the models and textures are owned by Microsoft. Good luck getting permission to release any Official FSX content!

Yeah and the models and textures are owned by Microsoft. Good luck getting permission to release any Official FSX content!

I kind of know my way around their flight sims and I can tell you one thing any virtual pilot could: there's a "hell of a lot" of free plane addons available if you know where to look.. some of those addons are even better then the original ones.. I prefer AlphaSim models, they're IMO the best.

Feel free to check some out:

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/as_freeware.html

Guest RKSL-Rock
I kind of know my way around their flight sims and I can tell you one thing any virtual pilot could: there's a "hell of a lot" of free plane addons available if you know where to look.. some of those addons are even better then the original ones.. I prefer AlphaSim models, they're IMO the best.

Feel free to check some out:

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/as_freeware.html

LOL yeah I know the flight sim scene very well. I've been making FS models since '99

LOL yeah I know the flight sim scene very well. I've been making FS models since '99

So why even care about Microsoft? Since you have bean creating FS models, have you ever asked MS for a permission to create a model? Or the actual plane manufacturers?

Guest RKSL-Rock
So why even care about Microsoft? Since you have bean creating FS models, have you ever asked MS for a permission to create a model? Or the actual plane manufacturers?

Plane manufacturers have asked me in the past :P

But the models shown in that video are owned by Microsoft. it is illegal to port them to any other game or platform.

Plane manufacturers have asked me in the past :P

Good for you ;)

But the models shown in that video are owned by Microsoft. It is illegal to port them to any other game or platform.

No argument there.. but that is why we have freeware. That something is labeled "Micorsoft product" doesn't necessarily means, that it is better than the free stuff, as we have learnt a lot of times in the past :p

Or instead of trying to get permission to port models from another game, you could have fun making your own under ArmA standards. ;)

I've got a B-26 I'd love to test for aircraft turrets.

Jan from BIS told me on the 505 day that the MQ-9 does have a turret and you can designate targets with a laser etc. But he did say he "wasnt 100%sure if it would work with guns but logically it must." We'll have to see.

Anyone know a german guy with a copy of arma2 then? ;)

We can ask how it works :D

Does it mean we can finally have functional IRST and laser designation pod such as Damocles, Litening or Sniper ?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Does it mean we can finally have functional IRST and laser designation pod such as Damocles, Litening or Sniper ?

Thats the theory :) I have yet to test it though. I'm almost tempted to buy the German Version just to see :P