Sign in to follow this  
Gistii

US Anti Air Systems

I see from the offical site that the Russian/eastern europeans will be getting the tunguska and the shilka

What is going to be the US equiverlent ?

LAV Anti Air

Maybe ..

M730 Chaparral

or

ADATS

Anyways would be nice to know, while it might not be of much importance the the single player it will certainly matter for MP

That would be the Avenger system, mounted on a HMMWV. There might be others, but this is what we know at the moment.

Edited by colossus

Are the player controlled anti air systems in ArmA realistic(ie - radar guided even for the cannon and not just the missles) or are they arcaded(you have to manually shoot at the planes with the cannons although you may see a reticle indicating the target)?

Are the player controlled anti air systems in ArmA realistic(ie - radar guided even for the cannon and not just the missles) or are they arcaded(you have to manually shoot at the planes with the cannons although you may see a reticle indicating the target)?

its somewhere closer to the second option I think.

Hey don't forget you can have F-35's as airdefence too and the us version of this http://www.armedassault.info/ftp/pics/news/pics1/arma2weapons_static1.jpg

with stinger launchers instead of iglas but I think its just name and esthetic differences but I think its good there is some balance :)

ArmA had only the Vulcan and Shilka as tracked vehicles. With Mandobles scripts you could simulate some good AAA/SAM activities too. For modern radar surveillance and SAM systems (eg. S-300/S-400) you need huge maps.

Keep in mind that US "anti-aircraft systems" are mostly planes. Soviet/Russian ground air defense systems are much more developed and in use than on US/NATO side.

The Avenger Air Defense Weapons System consists of 8 Stinger Missiles mounted in the 2 pods (4 each). On the Right side under the pod is a .50 caliber electronic controlled machine gun. On the left is the FLIR and the Laser Range Finder. The gunner station is the same as in the Bradley. It also has a manual HUD in case the FLIR fails. The box is made of honeycomb composite, and is the last place you want to be if the bullets start flying. This is what I worked on in the Army. 27T20

Edited by SGT_2AD

I hope that all ground-based AAA/SAMs included or modded into ArmA2 are starting from the most simplistic and working up. The benefits of short-range and simplistic air defense are:

1. You can actually use them in a mission

2. They can be modeled at least somewhat close to real life

3. They use existing ArmA missile and tracking mechanics

The Avenger is a good example of a rather simplistic and short-ranged anti-aircraft weapon that ArmA1 wouldn't have a chance of modeling in full detail. However it wouldn't take a lot of work and engine code changes to implement such a system and actually use it in the game.