Sign in to follow this  
_Cappa

ArmA2 Media Blowout Twitter Q&A

was the sli question answered at all, I might have missed it in all the media releases.

Bascially does Arma2 support Sli and Xfire?

Cheers

Southy

Crossfire YES as when You check latest AMD.ATI drivers there is already CrossFire profile for arma2.exe !

(9.4 maybe, 9.5 beta sure and 9.5WHQL final)

Crossfire YES as when You check latest AMD.ATI drivers there is already CrossFire profile for arma2.exe !

(9.4 maybe, 9.5 beta sure and 9.5WHQL final)

Good news for my 4850X2. :yay:

Can I ask out I activate the ARMA 2 profile? I cant see it and am on 9.5.

Wait what I should be really be asking if A2 supports Multi GPUS?

Edited by Curious

@RKSL-Rock: Somebody have to wipe my smile off my face. I'm not able to myself :D

Thanks for info.

Unless "3D editor" means something else i am not aware of I'll keep saying this. The editor is INDENTICAL to ArmA1. There is no VBS2/RTE functionality at all..

I've spoken to other people who were at the 505 press event with me and no one saw anything new in regards to the editor functionality. When I asked the BIS guys about VBS2 features they both said "the RTE editor from VBS2 isnt included in ArmA2"

hopefully ionis' 3d editor would be able to work in Arma2. not such a bad thing for them not to include one as he has already made one.

great info shared that makes me look forward to arma2 still.

Guess after few years all we're getting is beefed up gfx and 1/2 of stuff taken from ACEmod authors :) maybe I sound a bit dissapoined, but it saddens me to see much of the anticipated stuff left out. Hopefully old bugs won't appear as we noticed in transition from OFP to ArmA...

Static carrier is what we all in my team knew since we've saw first shot of it. Hell, we almost put down bets that the damn thing won't be able to move :)

No 3D editor again comes as a big shock after knowing what kind of fancy and constantly updated tools company uses and we (community) will (again) have to spend numerous frustrating hours to finish up and test a mission...

We'll... I'll still stick around and this time I'll even try to work more for international community and not only my local team. After finishing up 200+ missions since November 23rd, 2006 (date we got ArmA from Czech Rep.) and working on addons & island I only hope that I'll be able to transfer my work to the new sim and to make it more available - at least to to English speaking community.

*fingers crossed*

Sounds a bit vague, could you post a list of the things BI has stolen from the ACE mod?

"Half" of then new content in Arma 2? Seriously? Most of it the new stuff seems to me to be general requested improvements, such as the jumping over object and medical system. Just because ACE sneaked it in with a earlier schedule, doesn't mean that it was stolen or not pre-planned.

Edited by sparks50

Guess after few years all we're getting is beefed up gfx and 1/2 of stuff taken from ACEmod authors :)

What stuff?

And what the hell? People will complain all the frigging time, you yell "we want it to be more like ACE" on one end and then complain when they do it?

And I doubt you have played the game to say what it is or isn't.

Well you do forget about sp campaign (with coop), dual core capable engine, many mechanics improvements and so on. Let's compare CoD changes from first version to latest COD5:

-graphics improvement

- 3d sights

and basically that's all :D

- 3d sights

CoD had 3D sights from the start actually. So except for better graphics and new content, it's all the same :p

Not even much gameplay change except switching from health packs to regenerating health and adding smoke grenades.

Q: Can you confirm that we will have a 3D editor in ArmA2?

A: Confimed!

Unless "3D editor" means something else i am not aware of, I'll keep saying this. The editor is INDENTICAL to ArmA1.

I'm very curious about this '3D editor' now. They always said it was going to be a very limited 3D editor.

I always thought it was going to be a simple "3D object repositioning" mode only. So the way I envisaged they would simplify this was to:

• first create all units in 2D map (not 3D),
  • start up Preview mode,
  • then access their Debug Console (screenshot) as shown in previews,
  • (somehow) select an object,
  • then reposition selected object in 3D mode (and that's all).

Then when you switch back to 2D editor mode, it updates the 3D position info for that object. Even that simple ability would be extremely handy.

The previewers made no mention about this Debug Console either, which allows control of: time, camera, etc.

There was also a rumour that the 3D editing ability would come later in a patch, which would be fine. I certainly never expected a full RTE.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I'm very curious about this '3D editor' now. They always said it was going to be a very limited 3D editor.

I always thought it was going to be a simple "3D object repositioning" mode only. So the way I envisaged they would simplify this was to:

• first create all units in 2D map (not 3D),
  • start up Preview mode,
  • then access their Debug Console (screenshot) as shown in previews,
  • (somehow) select an object,
  • then reposition selected object in 3D mode (and that's all).

Then when you switch back to 2D editor mode, it updates the 3D position info for that object. Even that simple ability would be extremely handy.

The previewers made no mention about this Debug Console either, which allows control of: time, camera, etc.

There was also a rumour that the 3D editing ability would come later in a patch, which would be fine. I certainly never expected a full RTE.

I don't know what to say. I can only tell you what i saw and heard in response to my questions. I saw no "3D option" to give extra functionality. I didnt see any debug option either.

This is all we saw: ArmA2 Editor Screenshot

Well, the only "real time editor" I saw was in high command where you are able to add waypoints and choose waypoint settings.

Also the placement of building in warfare can be considered "real time editor", but none of that is what we mean with real time editor as far as I am concerned.

Actually, between :

- Warfare unit 3D placement

- High Command RT waypoints assignments

- Debug Console features (camera, scripts...)

You already have a lot of tools to make a 3D RTE out of the box... It's even more odd that it's not included... It's not like it didn't occur to them or they don't have the know-how.

Must be a deliberate omission for one of the following reasons :

- It's still too buggy to be included in first release (wait for Mod tools or future patch)

- It is planned to be released later as part of a paying expansion (would make sense as well),

- They need to protect their VBS2 market and won't offer the 3D Editor ever.

It doesn't matter if you saw it in this version or not, i say it again that it was confirmed by Jan Prazak in Germany, but he said they are not sure whether it will make in the game at all, or if it maybe will be released later.

Obviously, when we say that the version you have played are "final", it is not in the final-game. But this does not mean that we will never get a 3D editor at all!

Also they said that for the faction videos the missions were made already with this 3d editor.

Furthermore there is a screen shot from 2008 where you can clearly see the 3D editor (watch bottom)! Its even there confirmed in the text that there will be one.:

pcg6wv3.th.jpg

I remember seeing a video a while back and I am sure it was some type of 3D editor but maybe it wasn't. Anyway, just because there was footage of it doesn't mean it will be included. I'm sure stuff gets cut quite a bit because of various reasons.

Maybe the current 3D editor that BIS uses is an external app, like a modded Visitor similar to Crytek Sandox editor...

snafu, what you have seen was an arma in developer mode - basically a game with console panel, which allows modifying anything on-the-fly

Guest RKSL-Rock
It doesn't matter if you saw it in this version or not, i say it again that it was confirmed by Jan Prazak in Germany, but he said they are not sure whether it will make in the game at all, or if it maybe will be released later.

Obviously, when we say that the version you have played are "final", it is not in the final-game. But this does not mean that we will never get a 3D editor at all!

Also they said that for the faction videos the missions were made already with this 3d editor.

Furthermore there is a screen shot from 2008 where you can clearly see the 3D editor (watch bottom)! Its even there confirmed in the text that there will be one.:

[MG]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8757/pcg6wv3.th.jpg[/img]

I swear this is the last time i'm going to answer this. I cannot be any clearer about the VBS2 style 3D editor. The conversations was something like this:

Jason (Tactical Gamer): "Will there be a 3D Editor?"

James (BIS): "Yes there is a 3D editor, this is it."

Rock (RKSL): "I think he means a VBS2 style Real Time Editor."

James (BIS): "Oh, no there isn't."

Some time later while sat in front of the actual game itself: with the editor open.

Rock (RKSL): "So is this the final editor? Are there any plans to add the 3D RTE to ArmA2?"

Jan (BIS) "Not at this time."

You can keep speculating and asking the same question over and over if you like. But trying to tell me that i didnt hear right or that James and Jan didnt tell us that there is no "RTE editor" wont make one appear. You've been given the facts as we were given them. Either accept them and stop speculating and wait and see for yourself.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

hmm ok, but why did reply in the first time yes to 3D editor and in second minute no. Thats confusing, because first you asked him learly to a 3D Editor, but the Previewmodus isn't a 3D editor and the shown one isn't also a 3D Editor. :confused:

But its shame that BIS don't step forward to this important game module.

Maybe we see it in a update but my hopes are at mapfact with their 3DE and the RTE, maybe a joint venture of the two parts? :)

Guest RKSL-Rock
hmm ok, but why did reply in the first time yes to 3D editor and in second minute no. Thats confusing, because first you asked him learly to a 3D Editor, but the Previewmodus isn't a 3D editor and the shown one isn't also a 3D Editor. :confused:

Because what they call a 3D editor and what we call a 3D editor is different.

The ability to edit then preview your mission in 3D is what they call a 3D editor.

What the community calls a 3D editor is the VBS2 style RTE system. As I said in the article I wrote. There was some confusion about the term on the day and that confusion made it on to the twitter feed and started all this nonsense.

But its shame that BIS don't step forward to this important game module.

Maybe we see it in a update but my hopes are at mapfact with their 3DE and the RTE, maybe a joint venture of the two parts? :)

It would be a nice feature to have, but given my own experience with VBS2, it wouldn't be an easy one to integrate in a engine at late stage. VBS2's RTE is resource hog, a bit "clunky" at times and I suspect the majority of gamers wouldn't be quite as understanding about it all as the ArmA Hardcore fans.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

Rock, thanks for spending time answering everyone's questions and concerns.

I've never been a huge fan of a RTE, I find the 2D editor more productive. Did you get a chance to place some entities in the editor and click preview? Have the loading/previewing times decreased or increased?

Given the new meter-to-centimeter accuracy improvements, have you noticed and improvement if accuracy of placed 2D icons/objects in the editor (eg. A rectangular 3D object has a perfectly squared icon in 2D editor, causing mission editor to offset 2D icon for best placement.)?

Edited by EvilNate
Clarifying question

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any word if the teams under the players command "red/green/blue/etc" can now have their own formations?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Rock, thanks for spending time answering everyone's questions and concerns.

You are welcome :)

Did you get a chance to place some entities in the editor and click preview? Have the loading/previewing times decreased or increased?

Yes we did. The loading times are pretty similar. But obviously that depends on the size of the island being loaded.

Given the new meter-to-centimeter accuracy improvements, have you noticed and improvement if accuracy of placed 2D icons/objects in the editor (eg. A rectangular 3D object has a perfectly squared icon in 2D editor, causing mission editor to offset 2D icon for best placement.)?

No, the 2D editor is really just the same as the ArmA1 editor. You can see for yourself not much has changed unfortunately.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any word if the teams under the players command "red/green/blue/etc" can now have their own formations?

I cant answer that I'm sorry. We didnt have the time to get into that sort of detail on the day.

Ok, so basically other than the increased movement precision and scripted supressive fire the a.i. is.. the same? :confused: .

I had hope that supressive fire was implemented into their routines and that they would know when to deploy supression (as in covering fire).

Do they still perform suicidal 1 on 1 engagements? (2, engage that machinegunner, 3, engage that officer, 4, fall back to formation, etc, etc) or do they perform, engage and flank like a real squad?