Sign in to follow this  
Litos

Translation of the russian arma 2 preview

There were many threads about this russian preview and I think it's the best one so far. Most are on other languages which I dont understand but fortunately I originate from this one so I decided to translate it for the community.

Unfortunately it isnt youtube captions, it's just the text. I mentioned this in the press coverage thread earlier, but it got buried in the hundreds of new posts.

You can read my translation here. Enjoy! It's fairly informative and a very good video too (no cam).

-Ed

Thanks for the translation. Looks good, was nice to see the new conversation system in motion.

Thanks for the translation. Too bad the AI sounds as bad as before. :(

Thanks for the translation. Too bad the AI sounds as bad as before. :(

Apparently there is a new voice system that didn't make it into the preview build. Hopefully it sounds better that that. ;)

:yay:Thanks alot litos!! :yay:

Edit: i don't like the sound of that beta gameplay O.o.. when was this beta test?

Edited by Generalen
Reading the article itself

The news on the AI scared the crap out of me...

EDIT: Forget it, im too tired to read properly

Edited by NeMeSiS

I'm sure the preview was this spring, and also, they did mention that the AI issues were most likely related to the beta itself, and that they will be improved in the final version. Obviously those are critical bugs that surely won't make it into the final game (such as the support team not coming, and the NAPA troops not responding to orders).

Personally I'm not worried about the AI, it can't be much worse than ArmA AI, which isn't even that bad.

:laugh: BF2 music playing in the video towards the end.

Thanks for the translation, surprised they didn't innovate the command menu to something like a radial menu pop-up system, given that it'll eventually end up on the xbox360.

for me the AI will make or break the game.

all the latest previews said bad things about the AI and i have no doubt that no major improvement will be noticed towards the gold master.

this game's AI will be poor, like ARMA1's.

i really hope i am wrong but if i am not than all eyes are on OFP2....

all the latest previews said bad things about the AI and i have no doubt that no major improvement will be noticed towards the gold master.

this game's AI will be poor, like ARMA1's.

Excuse me if I doubt your prophetic wisdom, but that's just complete BS. All you have is a few minutes of footage from an alpha preview version and you're already passing judgement. Give us a fucking break.

my dear lord thats a wicked video Litos thankyou for posting it up with the translation too very well done good work.- kind regards Landstalker

No need to be aggressive.

But it's true, the AI in Arma 1 isn't that horrible. It seems stupid at first but when you get into the game you learn to deal and play with them.

If anything, the AI will only be better in Arma2 than Arma1. So I'm sure it'll be fine.

Edit: No problem Landstalker (and whoever else found this useful).

Excuse me if I doubt your prophetic wisdom, but that's just complete BS. All you have is a few minutes of footage from an alpha preview version and you're already passing judgement. Give us a fucking break.

im not judging by this video. im judging from the fact that i've read numerous previews, all of them said something bad about the AI. friendly AND opfor.

making a good AI is usually something done only by large, well profound companies with one exception - GSC (made stalker). making good AI is something that requires a team and a lot of experience, and no disrespect to BIS but i dont trust them to have the best AI programmers around.

I dont have high hopes from ARMA2's AI.

mindd u, i am not talking about occasional bugs. im talking about the general way the AI is handeling itself in combat.

u dont like my predictions - fine. im not trying to convince anyone. just giving a heads up. if im getting the AI from ArmA1 than i will be deeply disappointed.

as i said - AI for me will make or break a game. it is my top priority in SP. i can handle clunky controls or mediocre graphics but having fun AI is what makes me enjoy a game or not. it's like if im playing basketball with 9 kids, about 8 years of age, or if im plaing basketball with skillful 20 something year olds. im not gonna enjoy my game with something that seems incompetent.

Edited by topeira

AI is fine with me as ill be playing loads of PvP and co-op, ill accept the AI for how ever good or bad it is graphical detail more than makes up for it,

im not judging by this video. im judging from the fact that i've read numerous previews, all of them said something bad about the AI. friendly AND opfor.
as i said - AI for me will make or break a game. it is my top priority in SP. i can handle clunky controls or mediocre graphics but having fun AI is what makes me enjoy a game or not. it's like if im playing basketball with 9 kids, about 8 years of age, or if im plaing basketball with skillful 20 something year olds. im not gonna enjoy my game with something that seems incompetent.

^ This.

did you notice that they changed the movinanims? Looks way more fluent than ArmA I. Hope this makes PvP more interesting and enjoyable again...

Yeah, the animations are actually very realistic. When you sprint it looks so brutal, you run like there's no tomorrow... hey, maybe there's not! :P

it's like if im playing basketball with 9 kids, about 8 years of age, or if im plaing basketball with skillful 20 something year olds. im not gonna enjoy my game with something that seems incompetent.

There is a reason its called AI. And its like a one small step forward

every game, dont expect ARMAII to have uber-AI, it will probably

be slightly better.

Its good enough AI in Arma1, I just want better animations where they dont look like having AHDH with their spasmic movements.

By the way, does anyone know exactly how old the build they were playing actually was? I'd really like to know.

By the way, does anyone know exactly how old the build they were playing actually was? I'd really like to know.

The build date from the preview version is visible in the russian video: 2nd of February 2009. It was also confirmed that the preview version was missing some features. For example distant grass was apparently missing, but is now present in the GM build they tested in London.

The newer GM build was probably very recent, like a few days old.