Sign in to follow this  
hoak

Get A North American Publisher Or Contract Publish!

Considering the volume of North American sales of even failed 'serious tactical realism' games that were panned by the press (and by those of us the that made the mistake of purchasing them) that have outperformed ArmA's sales by orders of magnitude in North America -- it's easy to see that the Business & Marketing 101 bromide that:

'Make your product as accessible to your prospective Customer as possible: sales are in direct proportion to accessiblity...'

...really wasn't followed till very/too late in the game with ArmA. Now, it looks like a similar situation is developing with ArmA II, or more to the point isn't, and just like ArmA, a North American Publisher has not been found, and the game will be difficult and/or costly to purchase in this market -- the result will cost BI hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in lost revenue and opportunity margin...

This is really unnecessary in todays market as there are many Contract Publishers that can fill a problamatic void of exactly this nature, and do it superbly. One of the best that's sort of the Amazon of contract publishers being LuLu -- a company started by Bob Young who also started Red Hat. LuLu publishes books, game, music and video CDs and DVDs -- does superlative job, at very reasonble cost, giving the Developer enormous leverage in how they want their product presented and marketed, improving margin and early step-out margin opportunity (that will be as lost for ArmA II in N. America on the present course and schedule as it was for ArmA), and even offers some free marketing.

There might even be some hopeful foreshadowing in that Dslyecxi's excellent Tactics, Techniques & Procedures Guide for ArmA is published through LuLu, and as all of us that purchased it have seen they've done an excellent job with his work. Bob Young and LuLu have received a lot of positive press and news coverage, and is a very visible and highly credible business. A contract publishing arrangement with a Developer like BI would set new precedent in the market for both Independent Developer and Independent Contract Publisher that would also win a lot of free press attention just for the uniqueness of the arrangement -- a win-win-win scenario for all parties: BI, LuLu, and prospective North American Customers is in the offing... Or, market and sell ArmA II just like ArmA in North America and anticipate similar results.

:butbut:

Edited by Hoak

Just a little addendum: there are literally hundreds of thousands of CD/DVD Press and Fulfillment Contractors in the U.S. and Canada; LuLu is just one that combines Press (disk pressing and printing) and Fulfillment (sales).

If I were to do this for BI, or BI were they to do it for themselves one can use the very same Contractors all the large game Publishers use (they don't do it for themselves), and even though it's probably not practical to order in the volume they do, with the U.S. economy were it is one can negotiate very attractive arrangements that are just as generous for the small order today as the 'million part run' for a 'blockbuster' title.

But dealing with a provider like LuLu also offer the advantage that BI could tool-up with them fast, and have their game on the North American market concurrently with all other first release markets to leverage early opportunity margins.

Better to sign with a big games publisher who has the leverage to get your product placed in shop windows and at eye level on the shelfs at the front door of shops as you walk in.

Better to sign with a big games publisher who has the leverage to get your product placed in shop windows and at eye level on the shelfs at the front door of shops as you walk in.

That's an over-generalization that is not full-context and not always true, especially if you know the publishing business... A Publisher's take can be enormous, and is factored as a function of their belief of how well your game will sell and how much marketing money they are willing to thow at it -- which is too often a totally subjective executive decision. So the independent Developer may actually make more with a smaller Publisher even though they don't have the marketing machine to pump big press, resources of large slotting contracts and sell fewer units as a consequence -- because they'll takes less of a percentage off the volume they do sell...

Add to that the actual publishing and distribution costs per unit to the Publisher are the same regardless of how big a run the title gets, so all things considered it's pretty easy to appreciate some of the disdain independent Developers can have for big Publishers.

The biggest loss, and one that BI suffered with ArmA is opportunity margin -- when a game goes to market, demand is highest and so too can be the margins i.e. you can command the full-boat sticker price. Opportunity margins before sell-through where sales start to tank is where revenue opportunity peaks, and more can be made here even with little or no marketing then can be made in the five following years with tons of follow-up marketing and advertising.

This is sadly why big Publishers have commodified games into disposable 'products' with a limited shelf-life and support; and have blockbuster marketing splashes that often cost more then the production or distribution of the game but only last a month or so -- it's just more profitable, even though it obviously results in crappy products...

While it is true that BI is not making disposable commodity games, where slow-burn sales can make a difference, the peak before sell-through is still where they'll either make enough to stay afloat, or can leverage good timing to do a lot better...

Edited by Hoak

aslong as Walmart has your product you basically sell instantly millions of copies, Walmart buys like minimum 100,000 copies for selling

Oh, Lulu does games too? Cool ...

But i did point many writers to Lulu.com already... most seem reluctant to publish themselves there, albeit its really low/no-risk involved ... if no one buys the product no product will be produced... so only setup time and such will be void.

Those i pointed to Lulu, but never went there, talked about selling their product before, but in the end they published it for free anyway... seems so that 'at least someone will read it' crossed their minds ... I dont really understand it

aslong as Walmart has your product you basically sell instantly millions of copies, Walmart buys like minimum 100,000 copies for selling

That's absolutely true, unfortunately Walmart sells what are called 'Slotting Contracts' -- and those are all but owned by big Publishers. A small Developer/Publisher has to pay a fortune to get even a small (short term, barely visible shelf space 'slot') that few can afford...

:(

The good news is it looks like ArmA II will also be released on Steam, I was a bit surprised as Steam takes a substantial cut from the Developer (typically half) but does have a lot to offer, and does make the game universally available.

:)

Edited by Hoak

Walmart and Kroger's still had high-positioned slots with mid-upper tier pricing long after the BestBuy slots were replaced, all of which lasted much longer than I expected. If Atari felt they could justify the slot distribution and positioning, then obviously ArmA was worth it to them to do so.

If you're in need of a private publication with the intent of personal use, think twice about a vanity label. If you're doing a legitimate commercial work, then there's no excuse to vanity label your work.

That's something a mid-size Publisher could afford to sustain as little as two years ago to keep their brand and titles visible, but now mid-size publishers are limping economically, and most are hard pressed to put what they regard as their 'AAA' titles in those slots even short term.

The bottom line is any means of distribution for the North American market, even if it's just a sub-contracted publishing mail order firm like LuLu, or download distribution like Steam or Impulse will make BI more money if done before first peak sell-through and marketing push -- after that it's slow burn, and shrinking margins.

That's an over-generalization that is not full-context and not always true, especially if you know the publishing business... A Publisher's take can be enormous, and is factored as a function of their belief of how well your game will sell and how much marketing money they are willing to thow at it -- which is too often a totally subjective executive decision. So the independent Developer may actually make more with a smaller Publisher even though they don't have the marketing machine to pump big press, resources of large slotting contracts and sell fewer units as a consequence -- because they'll takes less of a percentage off the volume they do sell...

Add to that the actual publishing and distribution costs per unit to the Publisher are the same regardless of how big a run the title gets, so all things considered it's pretty easy to appreciate some of the disdain independent Developers can have for big Publishers.

The biggest loss, and one that BI suffered with ArmA is opportunity margin -- when a game goes to market, demand is highest and so too can be the margins i.e. you can command the full-boat sticker price. Opportunity margins before sell-through where sales start to tank is where revenue opportunity peaks, and more can be made here even with little or no marketing then can be made in the five following years with tons of follow-up marketing and advertising.

This is sadly why big Publishers have commodified games into disposable 'products' with a limited shelf-life and support; and have blockbuster marketing splashes that often cost more then the production or distribution of the game but only last a month or so -- it's just more profitable, even though it obviously results in crappy products...

While it is true that BI is not making disposable commodity games, where slow-burn sales can make a difference, the peak before sell-through is still where they'll either make enough to stay afloat, or can leverage good timing to do a lot better...

Big publishers will get your games on shelfs worldwide and they will get them sold if they are sellable and they will get as many sold for the highest price they can as soon as they can. They will continue to sell them for as long as they are more valuable than a salesman's wages.

If a big publisher won't deal with you, go indie.

If you won't deal with big publishers, drop out of capitalism.

It doesn't matter if the bigger distributer takes a higher cut if you sell more product. You still make more.

Play the system, don't try to beat it.

Or let us buy direct from BI self publish it in the scale from the demand u get from say a Online Sales site within BI

That's the idea, most contract publishers, LuLu as an example, even offer direct transaction links you can use and embed in your site... But whatever is going on is a bit of twister to comprehend -- considering all the options available and how late it's getting...

:confused:

Edited by Hoak

Big publishers will get your games on shelfs worldwide and they will get them sold if they are sellable and they will get as many sold for the highest price they can as soon as they can. They will continue to sell them for as long as they are more valuable than a salesman's wages.

If a big publisher won't deal with you, go indie.

If you won't deal with big publishers, drop out of capitalism.

It doesn't matter if the bigger distributer takes a higher cut if you sell more product. You still make more.

Play the system, don't try to beat it.

If that were possible I'm sure it would be happening, but, all the large North American Publishers already are heavily invested in their own 'in house franchise products': EA has Battlefield: Sports Combat, Ubisoft the burgeoning Clancy Fantasy franchise, Activision has Call of Counter-Strike etc. -- fill in the blank with the latest derivative copy-cat dreck with a new paint job, and your pet 'Big Publisher' -- they're already heavily invested...

Even though you and I know ArmA does not directly compete with these arcade-fantasy 'franchises products'; the respective Publishers invest billions in marketing and branding (more then they do in actual game development by orders of magnitude), and aren't going to risk what they regard as a safe marketing practice to dabble in a genre they don't even understand with IP they can't own/control.

Mid-Size Publishers, more typically the risk-takers that otherwise could make a go of it like: Atari, Vivendi/Sierra, THQ and others like them are all in rough shape financially, are confronted with such unforgiving economy that even those with means are very risk averse presently, but in most cases they just patently don't have the resources for anything, including fulfilling their current contracts and commitments -- as most of these Publishers are operating in the red.

While Steam turns numbers competitive with mid size Publishers for most of published works, even surpassing large Publishers with some titles, and is fairly accessible i.e. willing to publish most work -- even Steam declines publishing some really impressive games, without any explination beyond 'not the kind of title we feel fits our catalog' i.e. competes with one of the Big 4 in a market they're paid to filter competitiors.

So it's neither as simple or straightforward (in North America) as you might think or hope...

:(

Edited by Hoak

There should be an announcement on NA soon, waiting for some i's to be dotted and t's crossed but I believe it's pretty much sorted.

There should be an announcement on NA soon, waiting for some i's to be dotted and t's crossed but I believe it's pretty much sorted.

Ooooooh -- YAY!

:yay:

Please include a release date with that announcement when it does happen.

Most of us in NA are not really wanting to wait until 2010 for a NA publisher, most of us will just import it from the UK or download it.

Is a NA Steam release in the works?

Define soon...:bounce3:

1st downloadable version available I'm getting as b4 not waiting 6 months for a US release when i can have it a cpl hrs after the dl comes available.:yay: I can always buy a hard copy later(gold) etc by that time if thats the case.

Call 911 did you used to run an Evolution/Domination server last year? If that was you, that was the best server I played on in NA and I totally miss it :(

Define soon...:bounce3:

In the near future.

I have one simple statement about this:

Shut the f*ck up and put it on Steam, and don't friggin' dally!

Edit:

In the near future.

Not accurate enough. Give us a frigging time window. A day? A week? A month? I believe I'm speaking for a lot of North American users' frustration with my language and attitude right now. BIS has a significant following here in America, and we've been getting the perception that we're getting the shaft every single time BIS releases something because they aren't saying jacksquat about us as a target audience.

We already know of release dates for the UK, the EU, Germany, etc...but nothing in the regard of North America. Look, if Bohemia wants to make some serious money, they need to actually friggin' take the American audience seriously. If y'all don't take it seriously, you're losing out on a boatload of money - no wonder you guys had to release ArmA 1 in an incomplete state to raise funding: Someone screwed up somewhere.

Edit 2: And for the love of God, if you're gonna release a game with American units and equipment, make sure you frigging sell the product with a timely release in the North American Region! Not doing that properly is like saying: "We love your stuff, Americans, and we have it in our game, but we won't sell this game to you until after we sell in other regions!"

FFS, if you pull this crap again with your next game, get rid of the American equipment and start using British equipment and units. That way, you don't piss us off with this BS. (Instead, you'll piss off the Brits.)

Edited by NKato

Your tone and language is unacceptable, you can make your point without sounding like a 12 year old Halo player missing out on a chocolate milkshake. Infraction +1 for inappropriate language.

Your tone and language is unacceptable, you can make your point without sounding like a 12 year old Halo player missing out on a chocolate milkshake. Infraction +1 for inappropriate language.

Fine and dandy, Captain Chuckles, but I'm not about to be a Mr. Bumscrew McHappy when ArmA 2 is being released in the EU in the next few days, with absolutely ZERO word on a NA release. Trust me, I ain't happy. I've got $60 sitting here in my wallet all ready for a DVD purchase of the game, and it's not even available - much less an announcement. If anything, I've been a rabid fan of the Flashpoint and ArmA games, and being stiffed over ArmA 2 is NOT pleasant at all.

In the near future.

Surely you saw this coming....Define near future:D

Day? Week? Month:mad:?

You are not being stiffed, stiffed would be:

(Placebo: No one in NA is getting ArmA 2 because I am better and you are not)

They just simply have not announced the information which you require, the release data for EU is June 17th - 19th, a Digital Download Purchase will be available from those dates, so all NA's who want to download it can from those dates. (Morphicon, SprocketIdea, GamesPlanet etc)

A DVD version I would imagine will be announced sometime soon (Beggining of June Maybe??)

There is no need to get frustrated. Patience is avertue.