Sign in to follow this  
Yrkidding

Weather?

Is there gonna be a weather like rain,snow,hail,sleet etc?

Just curious cause i haven't seen much range of weather in the vids and pics...

Rain yes, its already in ArmA 1 but I dunno about snow and rest. Probably no snow, would be nice to have it though.

Rain, storm and fog are in, others probably not.

Just curious cause i haven't seen much range of weather in the vids and pics...

Rain is 100% confirmed, as it was in OFP and ArmA1 and has been seen in recent screenshots. Other weather effects may or may not be included by default, but they are definitely scriptable.

EDIT: Old videos also showed volumetric fog.

Edited by MadDogX

Hi all

Snow has been scriptable and Modable since OFP days, if you can do snow you can do hail, and sleet as they are just vaiations of the rain effect. There was even a tornedo script in OFP, so all those should be available.

Volumetric fog allows for better weather simulation across the board as well as the possibility of volumetric cloud.

Kind Regards walker

And just to mention it: Weather works in smooth cycles where it goes back and forth randomly and is friggin awesome. Talking about ARMA1 here and im guessing ARMA2 wont be any less than that. Like day and night cycles keeps on going and changing the days (if your up for it). Start on the day you play on like July 10th at 10PM and then let it roll and see it change the days like in reality. keep playing a year and ARMA follows with dates, tides, moon cycles etc etc (no PC on earth is prolly that stable but anyway). :)

Alex

Snow has been shown in some Christmas and New Year screenshots, though it is still unclear whether it'll be as simple as rain or if there was scripting involved for the screenshots.

It would be nice if the weather was finally synchronized between clients in MP. From what I understand, the only way to do this is via a script, would be great if the default slider bar did this on it's own.

It would be nice if the weather was finally synchronized between clients in MP. From what I understand, the only way to do this is via a script, would be great if the default slider bar did this on it's own.

Amen bro. It's like living in parallel universes.

cool i cant wait to fly a huey in hard rain at night :D

I think Wolle was on the GC 07/08 (i dunno) and playtested very Early Arma2....

If i remember correctly he said that the new weather is so awesome and immersive that you almost feel the rain/storm appearing like in RL.

We will get also full 3D clouds (particles?) as some press-previewers(IIRC) reported from a testing of the halo-jump feature...

And yes, weather should be transfered over net by default, though for special purposes (for dynamic weather like in Domination/Evolution) a script command should "break" this behavior, so you can set level independent for clients, once they are in a trigger-area/marker area.....

Edited by mr.g-c
fell -> feel

In one of the more recent screenshots (I think its one of the water shots) it is 'raining' and they seem to use the same technique as in OFP. Rain like in GoW2 would be much more atmospheric, but we cant have it all.

can u give me a link to this pic i can't find it and i'd like to see :D

And yes, weather should be transfered over net by default, though for special purposes (for dynamic weather like in Domination/Evolution) a script command should "break" this behavior, so you can set level independent for clients, once they are in a trigger-area/marker area.....

I disagree with that one, those "area weather" scripts cause more problems than they are worth.

For one, the AI (besides AI grouped to players) is of course bound to the weather on the server. So people who are in foggy areas have a huge disadvantage because the AI sees further than them.

Besides it's not exactly realistic to have all those different weather types in a small area. You would need a massive map for that to be realistic.

I wouldn't be completely against the devs allowing it, but I don't think it's worth caring about.

I would vote for weather to be synchronised in MP :)

There are more things than weather that can differ from player to player online. I dont know how many times i tried to give a mate some kind of mark like telling where the big smoke pillar is. "What smoke pillar???". The burning vehicle dummy! "What burning vehicle???" lol. Weve always used the exact same addons, but maybe addons are to blaim. Cant remember how it was pre-addons time.

Well, yes, but it would be nice to have NO rain in buildings anymore.

I disagree with that one, those "area weather" scripts cause more problems than they are worth.

For one, the AI (besides AI grouped to players) is of course bound to the weather on the server. So people who are in foggy areas have a huge disadvantage because the AI sees further than them.

Besides it's not exactly realistic to have all those different weather types in a small area. You would need a massive map for that to be realistic.

I wouldn't be completely against the devs allowing it, but I don't think it's worth caring about.

I would vote for weather to be synchronised in MP :)

Doesn't that depend on if also the server has these triggers? If not it would mean the AI do not get any weather effects at all. If they currenty doesn't, I'd say that is a script/implementation bug of these systems.

Fog can be an extremely local effect. As for clouds and rain, I see no reason why also this shouldn't be this local as well. Stratus based clouds (produce 'steady rain') usually cover a significant area but is also subject to sudden change. But cumulus based clouds (produce 'rain showers') are very local (but not as local as fog).

Weather is an extremely important factor for conducting war and how objectives are solved. Earlier in Domination weather was just an on or off effect; severe clear or severe thunderstorm/fog. This has improved lately, and reading the little weather briefing can dictate how you want to do a mission.

What I'd really like to see is weather that affects the environment and performance more in the future. Such as rain causing muddy terrain which slows down vehicles. Or rain affecting smoke generation devices. Furthermore I'd like weather to in the future bring physiological effects on the player and AI, such as freezing due to temperatures, rain, and windchill factors.

I can dream, can't I :D

Problm is, with triggered fog, let's say triggered fog letting up to 500m of view distance, while non foggy wiew distance is 2.5km, people inside the trigger will be limited to 500m view, whatever their position in the trigger, and people outside the trigger will have 2.5km wiew distance even on the border of trigger while looking toward inside the trigger.

Example : I'm 10m inside the trigger. Another guy is 600m outside of it. I can't see him. He can see me no problem, from 600 to 2.5km away.

Problm is, with triggered fog, let's say triggered fog letting up to 500m of view distance, while non foggy wiew distance is 2.5km, people inside the trigger will be limited to 500m view, whatever their position in the trigger, and people outside the trigger will have 2.5km wiew distance even on the border of trigger while looking toward inside the trigger.

Example : I'm 10m inside the trigger. Another guy is 600m outside of it. I can't see him. He can see me no problem, from 600 to 2.5km away.

That would be awesome xD

And we need weather forecast (maybe like the map). If I know I have to approach a village via open field and heavy rain is forecasted in 1h I would wait for the rain (in SP using time speed) since it lowers the visibility, damping noise and real humans would sit in bunkers. And if I do not have vehicles, but the enemy, moody terrain is more a problem for vehicles then for infantry.

Actually i think the weather forecast thing u said is a good idea s!fkaIaC..i think that would be a good feature for a breifing.

#1 for me must be to synch the weather. So many times one of us cant see a target because of fog while some of us have clear view.

Doesn't that depend on if also the server has these triggers? If not it would mean the AI do not get any weather effects at all. If they currenty doesn't, I'd say that is a script/implementation bug of these systems.

Errr, I think you misunderstand the problem :confused:

It cannot be fixed by the script. The AI on the server is affected by the weather on the server, and that weather cannot differ according to area. So players attacking one town in a clear area with great visibility will be fine, but another group that is fighting in a fog zone will be at an unrealistic disadvantage because the AI will see as if they are in clear weather and will be shooting the players at ranges beyond their visibility.

It is impossible to solve that problem without making the weather global.