Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Wonder how many really play this game.

There are 3 of us here that never play online , preferring to slap together a little scenario in the editor and exchange them (once you've built it you know where everything is and have an advantage) , hook up a LAN and play a co-op mission or simply play SP missions.

Looking at the "popularity" base on #servers and players online really doesn't give you an accurate idea as to how popular this game really is does it , unless you're infatuated with online play only.

So I'm wondering , since players like us are hidden from any popularity counts , how popular the game really is. Guess you could judge from units sold , but how many?

Hmmmmm...:cool:

In a recent interview Morphicon said that Arma has reached more than 100,000 gamers in Germany. I guess this means more than 100,000 copies sold.

But how believable is this statement? Morphicon might exaggerate for marketing reasons. And then: Not everybody who bought the game is still playing. And not everybody who is playing bought the game.

I never really have a problem finding populated servers online. The problem I have is finding servers that aren't running ACEmod.

i am usually delegated to SP. mostly because i hate Evo and most other servers running decent missions wont let me join (PW, addon confilct, or they just kick me for no reason), or have a ping of 6 months :D

I play mostly online at SimHQ, but we only play once or twice a week. I still look around for SP missions/campaigns; but it sucks because most require a ridiculous amount of addons to play one mission and I have enough as it is

A lot of servers that do not run the ACE mod are on 1.14. Although, I prefer the ACE mod myself, for obvious reasons xD. You should be able to find some on v1.14.

Finding the right servers to play on is a bit messy atm. Some are on 116, others are still on 114. As you already said, some are passworded (due to cheaters and whining kids) while others only accept you when you have the desired mod or no mod at all.

No wonder you dont see full servers.

Full servers are over rated. "Split" community is over blown. There are plenty of severs to play on, if your ping sucks, well then your ping sucks.... I guess when ARMA2 comes out the "community" will be really really split....

But overall, the amount of ARMA players are more than what you see through gamespy. The DLs of the 1.14 patch could give a good approximation.

Guess you would have to start a thread to ask the Mirrors and such to post there DLs of 1.14.

What BIS need to get right next time is marketing.. Which they are doing a hell of a lot better this time around at least..

If they can get the name out about ArmA2 before its release.. you'll get more sales of the game, and hopefully attract some fresh blood. Don't worry about all these so called 'BF2'ers and such, the fact is, what did we all do before OFP?

You draw in the crowd, they buy the game, they play the game, they love it or they hate it. They hate it, they quit, they love it they stay and populate the servers for us.

You won't get more decent players without attracting the masses. I doubt the offline community in ArmA is large, the campaign hasn't recieved great reviews, and a lot of people are complaining about addons etc and version conflicts..

I hope ArmA 2 has more widespread success! :)

You talk about players like they're some soulless livestock...

I have ArmA since the German release, but i don't play it like i did with OFP.

I don't consider myseld a regular on Coop anymore like i used to be with OFP.

ArmA do not give me the feeling i had with OFP, but in other hand i started to create terrains.

So, i have the game but i don't really play it. Maybe because i don't have a powerfull enough PC or maybe because i have not yet found the right place to coop with.

I think if the Arma 2 AI (both opponent and team mate) is more intelligent then the SP element could become more attractive than in Arma. As with the above posters, it can be difficult to find a server with the 'right' mods and addons and a few players running the gamestyle you want to play. If the AI provides more human like behaviour then you might find a satisfying game (and user generated missions) without going online.

Though I have to say I am looking forward to Arma2 MP, maybe even the coop campaign mode, but since Armas release I have almost exclusively played online. I only recently downloaded some SP games due to network issues.

cjph

Ohh not again that "OFP feeling" crap. If you've got shitty missions, and noone decent to play with, then your coop experience suffers. Lucky I have a group of ~30 great players, and each weekend we enjoy MP sessions. And we do play since OFP, and cannot find any major differences. Of course, there are players within us, who prefer OFP, but they talk more than they do play OFP in fact, so afterall it's pointles whining without decent submission; I don't care at all.

Im playing. :)

Latest official patch + latest ACE + couple of good mates = an amazing gaming experience with a lot of emotions. You laugh hard at times. You are extremely focused at times. You have moments of total chaos and mayhem. You have moments where you feel like a hero to your team. You have moments when everyone in your team laughs at your stupid decisions...

I actually had ArmA uninstalled a couple of months and when i saw ACE on armaholic i got so f-ing happy i had a reason to re-install the game i love most, and i was not disapointed. From that day i have been playing ArmA almost everyday. I dont play on pub servers though, but friends-hosted games wich really are the best since you know eachother and how you all play. Really cant get any better than that.

So yeah - i play!

@Bravo-6: Yes mate, i feel you there. If you dont have a real home with people to play with ArmA can get pretty boring. When you do though - damn its fun! planning and testing tactics etc is very fun. You know what, here on BIS check the "Casual Gamers" soclial group. We are a bunch that play now and then. No strings attached. just for fun when we feel for it. Your welcome anytime. ;)

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Alex[Dev]72: I totally agree with you. Same experience here. We run a pretty closed community and we have lots of fun with MP Coop campaigns every Thursday :)

You talk about players like they're some soulless livestock...

Arent we? ;)

Well no, but the fact is you need to market a product to get more people to buy it. Doesn't mean we're 'livestock', but we can't buy things we've never heard about..

I heard about OFP probably in 2000 in a magazine, didnt hear a word about it from then on until my cousins got the game (they found it by chance in a shop), and thats how i came to play.. If they can attract more players it can only be a good thing IMO. Best way to do that is by marketing, but the nice website, trailers and pics seem to be doing better this time around!

If BIS would stop worrying about Arma2 sales for a moment and actually finish the beta patch (and released the linux dedicated server) then there might actually be more Arma 1 players.

Not gonna buy Arma 2 until they fix Arma 1. How can you trust them to fix Arma 2 and not just move onto the next game?

If BIS would stop worrying about Arma2 sales for a moment and actually finish the beta patch (and released the linux dedicated server) then there might actually be more Arma 1 players.

Not gonna buy Arma 2 until they fix Arma 1. How can you trust them to fix Arma 2 and not just move onto the next game?

. How old are you? ARMA 1 is fine, a linux server would be nice for the freebee guys, but ARMA1 has always been a stopgap to ARMA2, or do you never ever read what the Devs say? Trust... Hey they kept improving ARMA1 while getting ARMA 2 out...This is not a relationship with your "wife to be" it is a GAME you pay 40$ for... if 40$ is more than your trust can take, well get a job, move out of your moms house.... pifft trust...

100% SP for me.

The two main reasons are a bit of a catch 22. I would only like mature servers with no TK and crazy kids, but i can't commit to a clan because my wife would castrate me (she already thinks i spend too much time on my PC).

So even though i would love to join a clan and MP, i just can't commit the time.

I'm wondering how many of you guys will still be playing ArmA when ArmA2 arrives. It seemed many members hung on to OFP for quite some time until they eventually came over to arma, if at all. I can't see that happening this time though.

. ARMA1 has always been a stopgap to ARMA2

Really so when should I expect my refund for Arma 1 and a cheque for being a beta tester.

I don't feel like upgrading my computer just so I can play Arma 2. I want to play the game I paid for.

Your reply is a prime example of fanboyism run wild. Unfortunately the moderators here support such behavior.

you can call it anything you like, but if you had any ability to read what the Devs had said, or understand the history of the engines and Bis- studio. You would see that what i say is fact. As for you kneejerk reaction to anything... well i still play ARMA 1 and play ARMA 2 .ARMA1 runs great on my machine. When it didnt i had to adjust some settings or H/W... just like ALL PC games.

Hope your issues get worked out .

my wife would castrate me (she already thinks i spend too much time on my PC).

So even though i would love to join a clan and MP, i just can't commit the time.

Mr. Reality, you and I should form the GWNTFG (Gamers With No Time For Gaming) Clan. I have a day job as a programmer and I also own/operate an online store. And my wife thinks gaming is the most idiotic waste of time known to man and that yeah, I spend too much time on the computer. With all that going against me, I think I would merit the rank of at least a Colonel in that clan!

I don't really know what peeps play in Arma SP but I highly recommend that you at least try MP Co-op playing solo. So many incredible missions exist in Arma that can be played alone with AI mates. Of course, nothing beats playing co-op with friends.

SlipperyJim, aren't you the guy who constantly bitched and moaned over at the Rainbow Six/Vegas/Ubi forums?

Your reply is a prime example of fanboyism run wild. Unfortunately the moderators here support such behavior.

It must be - that's "classic" SlipperyJim. Your bitching and moaning is legendary. Why not try and enjoy a game for once?

BIS just released a patch and the dedicated server files for Arma 2. We have to wait 6 months for a patch. Right now there are more Arma1 owners than Arma2. Come on BIS. Where is the 1.17 patch and our dedicated servers?

wrong thread.

Sorry.

Edited by Soulfly

Right now there are more Arma1 owners than Arma2.

And it will stay that way if they don't iron out all the bugs in their new product. ArmA I is an "old" game, and isnt going to get the same priority. At least they actually still make patches for it. Many other companies would have stopped a long time ago.