Sign in to follow this  
ArmyGrunt

Military experiences past/present/future

I served in the navy for one year, Swedish "surface strike division" on a high-speed missile ship (Robotbåt in Swedish).

Can't say I enjoyed it, no sleep, no PT, and eating 24/7 really turned you into a useless bastard. You got good at pretending to be busy though.

However, it was fun watching even the captain get seasick in the storms of November.

Navigating with one hand, and holding the puke-bag with the other. The newer ships had something called "vomators" (basically urinals at face height), ours didn't, it was just the fastest.

Laggy

Edited by laggy

December 2002 - December 2003: (Conscript) Danish Royal Guards - Light Machine Gunner, recon section.

December 2003 - August 2004: Training and deployment to Iraq - Light Machine Gunner, 1st Platoon 2nd section, Mechanized infantry - Royal Guards.

June 2005 - February 2006: Training and deployment to Iraq - Light Machine Gunner, 3rd Platoon 2nd Section, Mechanized infantry - Jutland Dragoon regiment.

March 2008 - February 2009: Training and deployment to Helmand province green zone, Afghanistan - Light Machine Gunner/Carl Gustav AT gunner, 3rd Platoon support team, Mechanized infantry - Royal Guards.

Ever since December 2003 I've been in the reserves - right now I'm just working a civilian job, haven't decided if I want to go overseas with the army again or if it's time to look for work with a private security company? It sure as hell pays better :-P

PS: I also took the three tours in Flashpoint, ArmA I and ArmA II :-D

Royal Navy 1990 - Midshipman - did my basic

Royal Marines Reserves 1991 - hard as hell but much more fun

No active service

The guys I play Arma with

Make76 is ex Finnish army

Reaper used to fly F16's for the USAF

There's a few other vets about

USMC 6 yrs active, 2 reserve. Started as a grunt (rifleman) finished as a grunt (machinegunner) :) Been out for 12 yrs

i did some training with the TA's for 4 or so weeks in 88 and than 6 weeks in 92 did some good stuff like training on the sa80 and gpmg and the SLR and some thing like the AT4 forgot the name of it will come me lol i think it was but i did not pass so did not get in but it was fun

PS: I also took the three tours as well in Flashpoint, ArmA I and ArmA II and EW

US Army, Indiana National Guard. February 2007 - present.

British Army, Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers, 16 Air Assault Brigade, April 2005 - Present, Cpl

Only one deployment to Iraq in 2008.

Took OFP on an old HP Laptop that lasted until the last month of the tour.

Did the Orientatie Jaar Koninklijke Landmacht (Orientational Year Royal Army) for about 1,5 years and one additional month of basic training afterwards.

Dropped out after that on the reason that i didnt want to leave Holland for Afghanistan for 6 months, risking death or sanity, at the age of 20.

I have read too many first-hand accounts of combat to want to involve myself with missions like those in Afghanistan on my own free will.

I'd rather spend my life peacefully and exploring the world and all of its cultures instead of dedicating it to the killing of people for whatever (political) reason.

Will jump right back in if we are ever directly attacked though. All this said i am no coward.

+ I had some fun times during training, learned some discipline as well as a love for being outdoors.

Though in the unlikely event i will volunteerily apply for a combat role again i wouldnt go for the army, but rather something like a SWAT team.

The idea of directly rescueing people definitely appeals to me more then going on a questionable mission to whatever foreign country the politicians deem 'dangerous'.

(yes, i have absolutely no faith in the political games at all. I'd rather have total anarchy to be perfectly honest)

@blazer - was it the carl gustav? or the blowpipe? or maybe the milan? heavy piece of junk

Edited by eggbeast

I was in French Special Forces (BFST) in Afghanistan, I met a US Marines dude and he said he regularly came on this forum...

So, does anyone remember of a French Soldier with bad jokes??

DEU army since 2001, Captain, currently in AFG...

US Navy, Radioman USS Michigan (SSGN 727)

Also known as the commie killin machine.

I served in two armies.

1. Yugoslav people's army (I deserted)

2. Croatian army