Sign in to follow this  
ArmyGrunt

Military experiences past/present/future

Finland only has defensive forces and I really doubt that we will ever have an "invading" army.

A good example of this was in some march for peace in Helsinki where there were some military personel present. A journalist came up to a Major and asked:"Major, what is the military doing here in the march for peace?" The major responded:"In our military, every step and every march is for peace."

But, if from some reason Finland would invade something, I think we would use Utti's special jaegars AND sissi's to take down enemy transport/supply routes and so on.

But as said, that won't never happen.

So, are the Sissi generally considered a Finnish defensive measure then, meaning they wouldn't be used in offensive operations?

Hard to say. As said FDF is strickly defensive by it's nature in public, so there is no single detail publicly available about subject "Finland on offense".

Short answer from me would be: no. They lack mobility (we don't have much airlift capacity and terrain is mostly woods so they would need to travel by foot). Most natural place and task for them would be to secure advancing unit's flank areas and find and exterminate enemy's unit trying to dconduct recon and sabotage supply.

That would be my guess.

PS. I highly enjoy reading your writings here and specially in Battlefront's forums :)

Finland only has defensive forces and I really doubt that we will ever have an "invading" army.

A good example of this was in some march for peace in Helsinki where there were some military personel present. A journalist came up to a Major and asked:"Major, what is the military doing here in the march for peace?" The major responded:"In our military, every step and every march is for peace."

But, if from some reason Finland would invade something, I think we would use Utti's special jaegars AND sissi's to take down enemy transport/supply routes and so on.

But as said, that won't never happen.

Okay, I understand that. It's a different paradigm from our service, but there is certainly nothing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing, I like learning about the defensive forces of other nations.

Hard to say. As said FDF is strickly defensive by it's nature in public, so there is no single detail publicly available about subject "Finland on offense".

Short answer from me would be: no. They lack mobility (we don't have much airlift capacity and terrain is mostly woods so they would need to travel by foot). Most natural place and task for them would be to secure advancing unit's flank areas and find and exterminate enemy's unit trying to dconduct recon and sabotage supply.

That would be my guess.

PS. I highly enjoy reading your writings here and specially in Battlefront's forums

Yeah, I can imagine that mobility would be a huge factor restricting their deployment. If I interpreted the Wiki article correctly, would each Sissi-Company be assigned to its local area and conduct operations there? Seems to me that is the best way to capitalize on troop's knowledge of local terrain and environment.

What name do you post under at Battlefront?

Yeah, I can imagine that mobility would be a huge factor restricting their deployment. If I interpreted the Wiki article correctly, would each Sissi-Company be assigned to its local area and conduct operations there? Seems to me that is the best way to capitalize on troop's knowledge of local terrain and environment.

What name do you post under at Battlefront?

That is probably the general principle, at least it sounds to be best way. But i really don't know.

I post, quite rarely now days, under name of Secondbrooks in Battlefront.

That is probably the general principle, at least it sounds to be best way. But i really don't know.

I post, quite rarely now days, under name of Secondbrooks in Battlefront.

Yeah, I figured that was you when you mentioned it. I go through cycles on that forum; sometimes I find a bunch of threads that interest me and my posting goes up, but most of the time I lurk.

I happen to lurk by from time to time but the whole peng thing scares me.

How many people here are Active or former military?

I did 4 years in the U.S. Marine Corps, 2 deployments to Iraq.

oooraahhhh! Stay Motivated!

4 years Army, 1 deployment to Iraq and went through 4 units in 4 years. Day I was supposed to goto the promotion board was the day my stop loss ended lol. Needless to say I didn't make sergeant. 3rd time I was almost promoted. If I didn't move units so much I'd of gotten my stripes.

Former military Swedish Army, did 2 deployments in Bosnia, and 2 deployments Kosovo

7:th Mech Inf Coy NordBat2 UNPROFOR 1995

4:th Mech Inf Coy Swebat IFOR 1996

Fire/Support Coy Swebat KFOR 2000

IndiaLima Rapid Reaction Mech Inf Coy KFOR 2001

Former NCO german army. 1 year as conscript, 4 enlisted.

GECONSFOR ´99 (Rajlovac)

Former active, active former. Closer examination in other military service thread.

I served 8 years in the Flashpoint/ArmA community, that's worth 1 Fallujah right? ;)

Not military but South African Police special ops - worked with Task Force on many occasions and worked in uniform response

Edited by craigsa

As nearly all young man in Germany back in 91 i served. In my case 12 month within the Tank Artillery.

I really hate the M109, and the other old equipment we had, the stuff the guys get this days is much better. The only usable toys we had, where the G3 and the MG3.:rolleyes:

Starting my basic training in the german army in 14 days. German airborne here i come! :q:

im not in the army, tho i have shot a rabbit

prize.jpg

Semi-active Finnish Defence Forces reservist.

Conscript service 2006-2007: Pori Bde / Satakunta Jaeger Bn / 1. Jaeger Coy (FRDF)

Kosovo deployment 2008: FINCON KFOR / MNTF © A Coy

Training: Mech Inf + Fire Support Section (Mortar)

Edited by Gollum1

Semi-active Finnish Defence Forces reservist.

Conscript service 2006-2007: Pori Bde / Satakunta Jaeger Bn / 1. Jaeger Coy (FRDF)

Kosovo deployment 2008: FINCON KFOR / MNTF © A Coy

Training: Mech Inf + Fire Support Section (Mortar)

Ah so you did get in. Nice job!