Sign in to follow this  
craigsa

ARMA 2 and aircraft

how so? would you like to explain a bit more why its terrible? :butbut:

cheers

It's too light, my wrist tires after a few minutes of using it, the calibrations are off after every restart and it's not very precise, meaning micromovement near the deadzone is a pain. The twist rudder is too broad, forcing your wrist into unnatural positions. And the christmas light on top of the stick glares into your eye.

It's too light, my wrist tires after a few minutes of using it, the calibrations are off after every restart and it's not very precise, meaning micromovement near the deadzone is a pain. The twist rudder is too broad, forcing your wrist into unnatural positions. And the christmas light on top of the stick glares into your eye.

on the other hand, i disagree with everything in this quote. I've owned the evo for years, use it every day for hours upon hours in multiple games, and it's the best flightstick ive ever owned. I took the hand rest off it within about 5 minutes though. If you want to splash out the x52 is a good setup, but prolyl overkill for arma, where the evo does the trick.

I love my X52 for ArmA.

I love the built in mouse. It's excellent for ArmA, especially with all the mouse wheel menu's or when gettting out of the aircraft for a moment or two and not have to switch controllers.

I love the zoom slider for my thumb.

I have the X45 and the Microsoft Sidewinder with the forcefeedback also, but I prefer X52 Pro.

I could do with some good ArmA plugins for it's screen, if anyone knows of any.

Edited by Baff1

I have had 3 cybrog evos and I think they are great.

It's pointless to buy X52 just for Arma2. Don't get me wrong, for hardcore flight sims it's among the very best. That's why it comes with that hefty price tag.

In its price range, Cyborg Evo is more than passable.

I would personally choose Saitek Aviator instead of Cyborg Evo, and for HOTAS setups I've heard there's new Thrustmaster which is resonably priced and quite good. Well, if you're rich bollock you should go for HOTAS Cougar.

^

That's what I would've bought had I known the truth about Cyborg.

One of the best joysticks for the price is Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, it has 12 buttons, Hotas stick, twist stick for rudder and a analogue control for throttle.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/joysticks/devices/291&cl=US,EN

I can vouch for this stick as I own one, and it's a purchase I have yet to find a reason regretting.

I love my X52 for ArmA.

I love the built in mouse. It's excellent for ArmA, especially with all the mouse wheel menu's or when gettting out of the aircraft for a moment or two and not have to switch controllers.

I love the zoom slider for my thumb.

I have the X45 and the Microsoft Sidewinder with the forcefeedback also, but I prefer X52 Pro.

I could do with some good ArmA plugins for it's screen, if anyone knows of any.

Is it the Force Feedback 2 you have? When I play a sim like the DCS Black Shark, I use the MSFF2 along with the throttle of the X52 Pro and CH pedals . Works really great. The FF2 is very precise, and will not develop center play ever because it doesn't use a spring gimbal mechanism.

I would personally choose Saitek Aviator instead of Cyborg Evo, and for HOTAS setups I've heard there's new Thrustmaster which is resonably priced and quite good. Well, if you're rich bollock you should go for HOTAS Cougar.

An unmodified HOTAS Cougar is a nice looking pile of junk, so unless you plan on spending an extra couple hundred bucks to mod it, stay clear of it.

Edited by Amuro

I have an X-45 but I don't use it for ArmA. There's so few axes and buttons needed that a smaller, lighter, more compact joystick is a lot kinder for desk space and being able to coexist with the other controllers (keyboard, mouse).

I had an old Cyborg then I got a USB one. My brother had an old Cyborg. Then I bought a new Cyborg (Evo) and so did my brother. I've never had more than 1 Cyborg at a time (so it wasn't because they break). I've tried the Logitech one listed and it just felt super cheap and the Evo has a lot of adjustments as well as a far less silly small throttle axis. Find the one you like the most of course but I've never considered the Evo crappy.

My X 45 was let down by the rudder control, they just were too sloppy to use accurately. If yours is like mine, add pedals or upgrade to the X52 Pro, I didn't regret it.

Is it the Force Feedback 2 you have? When I play a sim like the DCS Black Shark, I use the MSFF2 along with the throttle of the X52 Pro and CH pedals . Works really great. The FF2 is very precise, and will not develop center play ever because it doesn't use a spring gimbal mechanism.

Yes mate the Force Feedback 2.

My mate loves it but I never use it because it doesn't have the HOTAS throttle.

I like the look and feel of the thing, plus all the little gimmicks on it.

Maybe I'll give your setup a go for Il-2, sounds like a happy compromise.

The Microsoft is pretty solidly built and has dual voltage so it works in different countries.

Does the forcefeed back work in ArmA? I've never tried.

I tried using my pedals in ArmA, but couldn't get the game to recognise them.

I didn't try especially hard, but since I have them, I'd prefer to use them.

I think I read that ArmA2 supports pedals.

I thought I might get the Saitek Flight yoke controls next. When I build my second Triplehead system.

They look quite intresting for certain types of aeroplane.

Edited by Baff1

I have CH Pro Pedals for that. The X-45 "rudder" axis I tend to use for other things, often keypresses (banding in the software editor). I think FFB in ArmA is either lame or non-existent.

ArmA1 supported pedals. I think it only supported 1 controller at a time was the thing.

ArmA hasn't got force feedback. It has only vibration feedback, or "rumble" as they call it at consoles.

I have the Saitek X52 Flight Control System. I'm trying to use it for helicopter and planes but i seem to have a rudder problem. It doesn't respond like it should be and most of the time my chopper or plane is jerking from left to right all the time. Do you joystick guys have the same problem. If not, maybe i didn't assign my controls to the right axis.

rudder is left pedal and right pedal in controls, am i correct?

i noticed turn left and turn right are set for my mouse, but whats the difference with bank left and bank right?(I'm using this last one for turning with my joystick)

any info is much appreciated:)

I hate the throttle in ArmA! I got an analog throttle build in my MS Force Feedback Stick...but whil flying planes in ArmA you can accelerate...or deccelerate...but you cant keep a steady speed.

The throttle only influence how fast you gain or loos speed! To work proper it should be an absolut throttle and it's position should determine the speed of the plane!

I'm with you on this one. It has been mentioned over and over again for years and for some reason nothing has been done about it. It really is an annoying feature. Here's to hoping! :cheers:

One of the best joysticks for the price is Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, it has 12 buttons, Hotas stick, twist stick for rudder and a analogue control for throttle.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/joysticks/devices/291&cl=US,EN

Agreed. It's inexpensive, but it's got plenty of features. Now, if only I could actually use the throttle on ArmA 2...

I'm currently using my SaiTek Cyborg X (with the throttle disabled - reason personal hehe).

From one thing to another...

I find it very hard to fly airplanes (like the F35 in the Bootcamp) simply because there's no friggin HUD???

I've got TrackIR 4 so it makes my life a lot easier but I still have to "guess" where the plane is actually heading (AoA-indicator?) and make an estimate of where the "center" of the "cockpit" is when I try to fly through the "rings" in the Bootcamp.

I'm quite surprised since I'm almost certain I've seen a hud in videos of the game previously.

Anyone know what might be wrong or if there is no HUD?

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently using my SaiTek Cyborg X (with the throttle disabled - reason personal hehe).

From one thing to another...

I find it very hard to fly airplanes (like the F35 in the Bootcamp) simply because there's no friggin HUD???

I've got TrackIR 4 so it makes my life a lot easier but I still have to "guess" where the plane is actually heading (AoA-indicator?) and make an estimate of where the "center" of the "cockpit" is when I try to fly through the "rings" in the Bootcamp.

I'm quite surprised since I'm almost certain I've seen a hud in videos of the game previously.

Anyone know what might be wrong or if there is no HUD?

Thanks in advance.

There is Hud, it is just very light and hard to see. AOA indicator is like its name indicating the angle of attack, i think what you mean is the FPM Flight Path Marker ;)

Disagree. I tried that joystick and thought it was absolutely horrible. Would never use a Logitech joystick.

Terrible tiny movement range and low quality gears that you can actually feel clicking as they move.

Rather get something from Saitek if you want something cheap and decent.

Logitech makes great quality with certain things, like steering wheels and speaker systems. But absolute crap with others like Joysticks and headphones.

Personally I still use my Sidewinder FFB2. 8 years old yet way ahead of that Logitech crap :)

Not cheap though, if you can find one.