Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

Mouse movement in ArmA II

I fixed this but I have a Razor Copperhead laser mouse and I set the resolution up to like 2000dpi. The mouse is very responsive in Windows (almost too sensitive) but just right in ARMA2.

Without that setting, I get the mouse lag that everyone else gets and it really sucks.

(EDIT) After using this for some time, this does NOT truly fix it afterall. Bummer. Still get bad mouse drift.

Edited by TeachDJ

I received my copy of ARMA 2 in the post today. I see what you mean about mouse lag!!!! I can't even hit the targets in Boot Camp when they rise and fall. I hope this isn't the way its going to be, or this game will be consigned to the bottom drawer pretty soon.

I just discovered that turning up viewdistances near to max level makes the mouse lag disappear almost completely. I get much better response for mouse at half the FPS I get at default viewdistance.

Same, viewdistance has zero impact for me, makes me wonder if there's not many underlying reasons for mouse lag and if in fact there's many mouse lags :)

Honestly, with all graphics towned down, I don't suffer much if at all, just a bit of overshoot in fast moments because I never know in time when the gun will stop moving exactly (but it's a matter of a very few millieconds). If I push graphic options up, it gets way worse to the point I can't use these settings in MP.

This is far from the precision I had in say ET:QW (and this game isn't perfect either), but it's also far from the insane delay between mouse mousement and in-game mouvement as shown in videos.

I think Leopardi is talking about the "insane type" kind of mouse lag, like seen in videos. It's probably not the case of everyone.

Anyway, the fact that it provokes overshoot (ie you stop the mouse movement when your sight is on target, but the sight continues moving afterwards making you miss) is still a problem.

I've no issue in seeing limitation of speed of movement, or seeing weight and size of weapon impacting the ability to turn fast. I have issue when I stop my mouse dead on target and my character continues moving his gun out of target after I've stopped

I'll turn down all settings tonight to stupidly low settings just to make sure it's not due to poor fps then repost but just to add my small voice to the chorus above. This Mouse lag is a game stopper for me. Aiming is made near impossible and destroys any sense of immersion.

People have suggested this is a 'feature' I'm not going to debate this point. What's surely more important is that people hate is and therefore there should be some way to dissable it (if indeed it is a feature as seems likely; I run all my other FPS's on medium - high with none of this springy-vision).

More follows after my test later.

J

It's not a feature. I'm not exactly sure what causes it as I don't have it myself, but I did have very minor mouse smoothing effect when under Vista but under Windows 7 I don't get any smoothing or lag effect.

It seems to effect many people though and BIS are looking into the mouse lag effect but they haven't been able to replicate it themselves.

It's not a feature. I'm not exactly sure what causes it as I don't have it myself, but I did have very minor mouse smoothing effect when under Vista but under Windows 7 I don't get any smoothing or lag effect.

It seems to effect many people though and BIS are looking into the mouse lag effect but they haven't been able to replicate it themselves.

I have XP.

If they are working on it (great news) then would it be useful if we sent in dxdiags (or something) to help?

Just a thought.

Edited by Jonofwrath
Random, unnecessary word.

news from devs: :p

"Patch 1.04 for ArmA II is currently in progress...

...A couple of prioritised areas we're hoping to address for 1.04 are "mouse lag" (this is something we've not been able to reproduce locally but we believe there are a couple of things we can do to help the situation for those users who do seem to suffer from it), the second area we're prioritising is improving performance, especially in urban areas, of course there will be other things addressed in 1.04 but it's too early to go into details about those just yet."

so there is a little hope, but personally I dont believe they are able to fix this. this is not mouse, not O/S, not even hardware related and mouse smoothing or v-sync has nothing to do with that. must be a huge game engine bug that exist since ArmA1. all we can do is wait for 1.04 and see.

Edited by funkee

I understand the inertia feature, but I've got way more than that, not realistic unless my character is always still drunk from the night before. Tweaking to get more FPS helped, I got into the 40's, but still a problem. :(

Another feature I don't understand is they removed the free crossair from vehicle 3rd person view that was in OFP. It was helpful to give a sense of angle, and select targets for gunner.

I'll turn down all settings tonight to stupidly low settings just to make sure it's not due to poor fps then repost but just to add my small voice to the chorus above. This Mouse lag is a game stopper for me. Aiming is made near impossible and destroys any sense of immersion.

People have suggested this is a 'feature' I'm not going to debate this point. What's surely more important is that people hate is and therefore there should be some way to dissable it (if indeed it is a feature as seems likely; I run all my other FPS's on medium - high with none of this springy-vision).

More follows after my test later.

J

Well I set everything to low and decreased the res and the mouse lag does seem to be less BUT significantly, it's still there. I should get hold of an fps program so I can post what I'm getting but it's a bit more manageable now.

@ Funkee, thanks for the info, certainly sounds like hope on the horizon. And I hope the patch sorts some of the campagn bugs too and not just the mouse lag issue (for another thread I know...)

@ Lugnut, sounds like my situation. I'm pretty sure the fps is pretty high on mine but the mouse lag is still there.

Any ETA on the 1.4 patch?

Edited by Jonofwrath
Typo

With my MX518(win xp) there is definably a stuttering in vertical movement, no stuttering in horizontal movement. But I still prefer it over the old mouse smoothing, because It feels more direct.

New beta out:

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[58830] Mouse smoothing can be disabled in user profile file using line mouseSmoothing=0;

[58815] Fixed: Enemy kills made by player using stolen enemy vehicle are no longer considered as friendly kills.

There are at least two other threads about the stupid mouse lag/smoothing/latency problem and I checked here and there's good news about plans for the upcoming 1.04 patch.

"

Patch 1.04 for ArmA II is currently in progress, we carefully read the feedback on the forums as much as possible, sometimes of course it can get a little heated and unclear so we also use the Community Issue Tracker, these are the two main points for collecting feedback from the community.

A couple of prioritised areas we're hoping to address for 1.04 are "mouse lag" (this is something we've not been able to reproduce locally but we believe there are a couple of things we can do to help the situation for those users who do seem to suffer from it), the second area we're prioritising is improving performance, especially in urban areas, of course there will be other things addressed in 1.04 but it's too early to go into details about those just yet.

"

...so I'm sure the powers that be are listening and working on perfecting their baby. It's a hell of a thing and I'm sure they want to see it achieve its potential as much as we do.

Now I'm off to make a mission in 5 minutes in which I take on increasing numbers of enemies to hold the top of a hill! SKIDOOSH!

Edited by Jonofwrath
typoooooo

With my MX518(win xp) there is definably a stuttering in vertical movement, no stuttering in horizontal movement. But I still prefer it over the old mouse smoothing, because It feels more direct.

Try and increase your vertical sensitivity, I had this problem too, now I have both set to move at the same speed.

A couple of prioritised areas we're hoping to address for 1.04 are "mouse lag" (this is something we've not been able to reproduce locally but we believe there are a couple of things we can do to help the situation for those users who do seem to suffer from it), the second area we're prioritising is improving performance, especially in urban areas, of course there will be other things addressed in 1.04 but it's too early to go into details about those just yet.

"

I'm suspicious about the claim they can't reproduce this locally, it's so clearly prevalent. It sounds like a disclaimer.

Has anyone tried the beta patch who has mouse lag, did they get any joy?

My mouse lag is about 1/4 - 1/2 a second and makes the game completely unplayable.

I'm suspicious about the claim they can't reproduce this locally, it's so clearly prevalent. It sounds like a disclaimer.

Well I couldn't reproduce it either :confused:

I could in ArmA 1 though.

What I did notice, before the beta, was that the mouse movement would speed up or slow down according to FPS. And of course the smoothing made for unusual movement (IMO).

I like the mouse movement in the beta. Even with the smoothing, the issue with mouse speed changing based on FPS should be gone.

You're lucky Matt, I would love this game without the mouse lag, even with all the other bugs I think it's brilliant.