Sign in to follow this  
kavoven

The new Star Trek Film

Yesterday evening I took the oppertunity to watch the new Star Trek film in cinema. And what can I say? I'm stunned. Best Star Trek film and I would even say best science fiction film I've ever seen, since there wasn't even one szene that bored me in any way.

Visual effects were amazing, actors really good and the plot really ... fascinating ;)

Great film!

I saw it yesterday. It was fantastic. Highly recommend it to everyone, even if you're not a Star Trek fan, like I am.

I went to watch the pre-premiere on Wednesday night.

While the film on the whole was pretty awesome and I liked the way JJ Abrams managed to reinvent the whole history of Star Trek without any nosensical retcons, there were several things that spoiled the movie for me. These are mainly gripes I have as a major Star Trek geek, so many people won't really care about them.

*** WARNING! SPOILERS BELOW! ***

1. The Enterprise can fly from Earth to Vulcan in just a few minutes. Even much faster ships from the later series would take days to travel that distance.

2. Conversely, the Romulan ship takes a while longer to fly from Vulcan to Earth, even though it is stated that their ship is faster than the Enterprise.

3. After having attacked Vulcan, Nero asks Captain Pike for access codes to the "Federation Defense Grid", so that he can attack core Federation worlds. Considering that Vulcan itself is a core Federation world (the Vulcans founded the Federation along with the Andorians, Humans and Tellarites), this is rather weird.

4. Enterprise drops Kirk off at a planet called "Delta Vega". According to original Trek canon, this planet is located at the edge of the galaxy, nowhere near Vulcan.

5. Future Spock, standing on Delta Vega, can clearly see Vulcan in the sky, implying that the two planets are either extremely close together at the time, or that Delta Vega is a Vulcan moon. This although the Enterprise had been warping away from Vulcan for a while before Kirk was dropped off on Delta Vega, implying that the two planets are a lot further apart.

6. Future Spock says that, in the future, a supernova threatens to "destroy the galaxy". Must be one hell of a supernova.

7. Nero's reason for wanting to destroy the Federation is that Starfleet (Spock in particular) arrived too late to stop the aforementioned uber-supernova. This although the Romulans should really have been able to help themselves, being a technologically advanced race. Why were they dependent on help from the Federation?

8. If the Federation had time to send a ship to try and stop the supernova, why weren't the Romulans able to evacuate?

9. Black holes are depicted inconsistently throughout the film. The first black hole is more like a time portal, allowing Nero and Spock to travel back to the 23rd century, while the black hole at the end of the film acts more like a conventional black hole. The discrepancy not explained.

10. Red matter. What the fuck is red matter?

10. Red matter. What the fuck is red matter?

It's a plot device :)

I saw the film with a mate of mine at the first showing at midnight on Wednesday; I thought it was pretty good.

I'm not a huge fan of the Star Trek universe (why I went to the first screening I don't know), so I wasn't too fussed about the canonical 'problems' and idea of re-imagining the franchise. However, I've always appreciated how good the characters from the original series were, and I think most of the actors in the new film did a very good job of fulfilling these iconic roles.

I thought Karl Urban, the chap who plays 'Bones' did a particularly excellent job of mimicking DeForest Kelley's accent and mannerisms. His was probably the best performance in the film.

Good points MadDogX, I thought about some of them myself during the movie, since most were quite obvious :)

great movie, seen all of them and bits and pieces of most of the different tv shows from the old one to the one with the bald guy wich imo was the best one, but i also seen enterprise wich also was good.

It had like everything in it imo.

More human stuff like relations and so on, more fx and explosions and more fighting and action and suspense, and some suprising stuff.

Haha lol yeah red matter was just a plot thingy but imoo it was explained visually more than with words..

I'm with MadDogX. Good film but so full of holes and just plain silly elements. Also it's a bit too confined by the ADD crowd it's aimed for.

Pretty enjoyable overall I thought and I'm glad I didn't read the spoilers above before seeing it as this really isn't a thinking man's movie and I would have gone into dissecting mode by default.

Bones definitely takes the award for most earnest impersonation.

Yep, Bones was impressive. So was the new (Heroes!) Spock.

Very good SF for me, great mix of Action, Drama, Humour and CG ! Actually .... awesome CG.

Gnat;1282450']Actually .... awesome CG.

It was very awesome.

*** SPOILER BELOW ***

Highlight white text to reveal

I especially loved it when Enterprise came out of the misty-like substance of the planet's ring. Watching the orange mist float off of the ship was incredibly eye pleasing.

Far better then I had expected, I'm not a fan really and I found this film quite amazing in all aspects.

They created a new beginning for the franchise. I like the more human traits, the 'less sterile' sets, and greater humor. More than that, I like that they don't try to explain why things work, gets totally hokey when they teach science B.S. 'fact' that isn't real - and you know it. Great movie, even with serious plot holes. I just chose not to look for them while watching, and had a great time. Hey, it's a movie, not a historical reinactment. (I really waited for Silar to do his 'forehead can-opener' thingy.. took a moment)

Two thumbs way up.

Awesome, but a little fast paced for my taste. I hope the directors cut is a bit less concentrated :)

Great cast!

Dull movie.

I snored. Really snored. Outloud. Woke myself up.

The person two seats away from me did also.

No one in the entire audience laughed once.

Two of the cast are famous comedians!!!

Crap screenplay. Crap story. Wrath of Kahn it wasn't.

You must be one of a small minority at the moment as it's getting rave reviews. I laughed many times and really enjoyed it myself.

Great film, myself not really a Star Trek fan, though know some of the terminology. Im more of a Star Wars fan, but i really enjoyed the film, plenty of humour, action, everything it was great. Especially the opening of the film was good, straight away it set the standard for what was a great film. :)

And didn't they create a black hole within our solar system? Dangerous, maybe?

It was eye-candy, lots of action, but I found it lacking an intellectual storyline.

It's a good time, but it's clearly aimed for the dumbed-down kids of America.

It made me want to go back and watch Classic Trek.

And since when did Uhura have a thing for Spock? Wasn't that Nurse Chappell?

dispite the plot holes (which i didnt notice many of) I was too busy enjoying the movie to care, TBH they did a bloody good job :D

Really great movie, i never watched star trek before, i don't know much about the original series but i enjoyed this movie and this could be a nice trilogy if they keep up with the same quality :)

Quite simply a stunning film drilling into planets and detonating a black hole , im 3 seasons into star trek voyager out of 7. and i thought x-files was deep lol star trek voyager is superb by far the best episodes ive seen around.

Oh Voyager was awsome. I used to watch it on grainy TV because the anetnna could hardly pick up the signal. Gave it an extra touch though. Was very exciting, but then they stopped showing it around the 5th season so I never found out the ending. Now there's youtube!