Sign in to follow this  
celery

Armed Assault to ArmA II - What's new?

As a mission maker I'm particularly hyped over some new possibilities in Arma 2 that can be used in missions. But what things really are new so that they're not possible to do in Armed Assault? You can write your own synopsis or add to the list, it all serves the good purpose of getting some fresh ideas for the mission making community.

I'll start.

Chernarus

It's seriously huge compared to anything we've seen so far. Over 30 settlements and lots of usable terrain as opposed to useless mountain ranges and steep forests of Sahrani. There are probably loads of new buildings in addition to the old ones that hopefully still exist.

Animals

Seriously, how cool is that? Not only do we have seagulls, now we have land mammals and they're playable as well! I predict hunting missions galore within the first weeks of release.

Shotguns

Proper shotties at that (hopefully). My father is a pro shutgunman and I think it's in the blood because I love shotguns in almost any game.

Artificial intelligence

How much it's improved is yet to be seen, possibilities depend on what it can do compared to Armed Assault.

Your turn, guys. If you have any ideas for missions that weren't possible in Armed Assault and why, spit it out!

Interaction with civilans :yay:

Destructible buildings:

A Windows 3.1 Bang! Bang! clone using mortar. Last building standing.

Animals

Seriously, how cool is that? Not only do we have seagulls, now we have land mammals and they're playable as well! I predict hunting missions galore within the first weeks of release.

This. Not sure about you guys but the very first thing I will do in ArmaII is load up the m24/remington 700 in the back of an off-road truck, driving North into the mountainous forests, and hunting the mysterious and legendary bigfoot. Mark my words I will be the first to bag the animal and FRAPS it.

But on subject, I like that there are a couple more factions added to the game. It really adds a lot to the game and certainly adds much potential for a conflict in which its hard to choose whos side to take and who to trust.

Also, the ships. Not sure how they will play or what they will be like but its very cool to see them having an aircraft carrier just off shore, adds a lot to the realism.

For Terrain I've heard you can have up to 6 materials per section in Arma2 instead of 4 per section in Arma, which is pretty cool.

Does anyone know if the animals are a part of the map e.g, distributed through a config sort of like clutter or are they hand placed in the editor? are you sure the bigfoot's not just in the campain?

Does anyone know if the animals are a part of the map e.g, distributed through a config sort of like clutter or are they hand placed in the editor?

Since there is an official mission that puts you in the role of a wild boar, I'd say they're either placeable straight in the editor or at the very least by messing around with classnames in mission.sqm. It's also possible that animals appear as clutter when you place an animal logic in the map or they're just there all the time.

Saving/Loading in multiplayer(which i hope is still in)

Great for coop missions with a few friends.

Bunch of new players comming in forums, asking more or less polite if bit naive questions. And then elitistic-mil-sim-hard-core-i-looked-it-from-wikipedia-and-read-militaryphotos-forums-wannabes starts to bashing them and games they have played (which they probably haven't played themselves) and telling them to forget everything, including their family, to learn to play ArmA2, the ultimate mil-sim on markets... Oh... that is nothing new. :D (yeah. I'm from brainwash section)

Meh... New land mass might be good, much better than sahrani. Hard to say, i realized what was wrong in Sahrani just after months of playing. Before that it seemed to be super.

AI? Yes i still hope it's going to bring something new feeling to gameplay (even when i don't believe into it anymore). If it doesn't improve firefights then there actually isn't any new aspects in whole game to me.

Wild Life. Hunting might be nice option. There are more hunting oriented games which does it better, but combining human hunting and animal hunting etc.

Factions. Lots of options in here.

New scripting commands might be nice thing dont' know will there be new ones and what they will be like... But i really doubt that i can drive myself anymore into scripting. Sure better way to write scripts and such would be very nice thing. But there was nothing wrong with notepad, alt-tabbing and gray hairs when seeking and solving the error(s) in script(s).

Edited by Second

The final A.i will probably be a improvement from A1 and then there is the more fluid animations and reloading a rifle while walking slowly instead of standing still.

The more fluid anims feel probably give a huge boos to the Pvp community part.

More factions than in previous games, the wildlife of course and the Rpg system.

The new vehicles like mortars and Mlrs artillery and big ass transport aircraft like the c-130 will make people go nuts i think.

The latest version of the warefare mp mode will probably rock hard.

The Campaign that from vids and previews and interviews feel like its been really worked on with love and care and attention to detail imo.

Gameplay stuff like drag and heal woundead will really add a whole new dimension into playing the game :)

With all the carefully made factions and stuff I think the expansion packs, Dlc opurtunities look good also.

Eeek. So Second, sounds like you're winding down? Too bad. I loved your scripts.

What can you do with better AI that can do more than just a suicide run or flank you, I ask? MAKE A ZOMBIE MOD!!!! And have undead do a suicide run!! *ahem*

-Persistant undead world, create armed safe zones, take back and hold the land from the Z's, find a cure to the virus, save the world one survivor at a time. (adds to the anti-Z militia)

-Expand the defensive and support encampments available in a Warfare game (artillery section?)

-Have a massive Scorched Earth (a shareware artillery duel game) multiplayer with all different kinds of warheads (bouncers, MIRVS, funkybombs.. you know ;) ). Everyone plays as a FO.

-Using the RPG elements for an 'enemy at the gates' or some type of undercover op, to find intel on the target location, penetrate security, passcodes and such, and take it out... Then live to return from a totally hostile land.

The new animation system may allow for some decent hand to hand combat. At least i am going to try some new stuff with the new version of CZM.

Destructible buildings:

A Windows 3.1 Bang! Bang! clone using mortar. Last building standing.

FYI:

Buildings were destroyable last time ARMA1

Chernarus ladies.

I will be using them to stir jealousy with my lady friend.:D

LOL... Then the Chernarus ladies find out your two timing them and shoot you dead.

This game looks immense, I had a brief look at OPF2 but it has nothing on this, OPF2 just looks I don't know kinda commercial? Like its been scaled down and done realistically I'm not sure it just doesn't look right whereas this looks solid!

The new animation system may allow for some decent hand to hand combat. At least i am going to try some new stuff with the new version of CZM.

Oooooo yes, I cannot wait for your zombie mod, I had a blast playing that with my buds in Arma, really looking forward to your animations this time around.

The animations in Arma 2 look A LOT better than Arma1, and this should really boost up the PvP community, which was something I never really got into, but who knows this time around....

What can you do with better AI that can do more than just a suicide run or flank you, I ask? MAKE A ZOMBIE MOD!!!! And have undead do a suicide run!! *ahem*

-Persistant undead world, create armed safe zones, take back and hold the land from the Z's, find a cure to the virus, save the world one survivor at a time. (adds to the anti-Z militia)

Can I just say that I love this idea -and I'm not usually into zombie mods. I'm thinking, CTI meets 28 Days Later. Perhaps, all humans living in military bunkers with limited rations, trying to establish communications with other outposts and sending out recon squads. Building walls and defense would take much longer so builders would have to be protected and proper resources accumulated. When a player is hit by blood in combat, there would be a chance he may 'turn' later on without his knowledge or consent :eek:

Edited by froggyluv

Make the game of 'Marco Pollo' interesting, doesn't it?

Actually, Froggyluv, you added another level to it. Random start locations, limited resources, the need to cross support and protect supply lines. Niiice. I can see a seperate thread on this in the near future..

Edited by Scrub

*Probably* a way better campaign/scenario than the one we had with Arma1.

If Arma2 campaign is as good as CWC/Resistance, Arma2 will be great success like OFP was.

FYI:

Buildings were destroyable last time ARMA1

Sorry I wasn't clear but I was thinking about the dynamically destructible buildings while writing.