Sign in to follow this  
LJF

Online Activation: What're your thoughts?

In your opinion there should be:  

216 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion there should be:

• No online activation
    • - Doesn't bother me what is used.
    • Online activation

This is how it looks today. We just have to deal with it.

I have another sim wich uses the same system and so far it works good. I have formatted/reinstalled my PC twice and not lost any activation. You can De-Activate and Re-Activate when you uninstall the game/sim or reinstall your OS without loosing an acitvation so its not as tough as it sounds.

Its not as nice as the old ways i give you that, but its not our decision to make at the end of the day.

Regards

Alex

72;1282831']

Its not as nice as the old ways i give you that' date=' but its not our decision to

make at the end of the day.[/quote']

true. but we can still decide wether or not to spend our money on it.

after all "the customer is always right"...or something like that.

The thread's about online activation, why's copy protection being discussed?

Not only is it off topic it's also contrary to the forum rules.........

so, online activation doesn't count as copy protection? i'm confused :confused:

1. A dialog box tells me that the game needs to activated.

2. I click ok.

3. A few seconds later I'm able to play the game.

you convieniently forgot to mention the two programs gta4 forces you to

install and run (some people may consider them "bloatware") as well as the

two accounts that you need to create before you can play anything. that

is all part of the "activation". un-obtrusive? riiiiiight...

Obviously your definition of "satisfactorial" (don't think that's actually a word

btw) involves someone who agrees with everything you think. And since all

you do is call people idiots rather than actually explain why they are wrong, I

can't really help you.

you are right. i meant "satisfactorily" like i wrote originally.

look, simply stating that "online activation may be the best method" just

isn't good enough, sorry. this has nothing to do with what i "think". you are

simply making claims without backing them up and i'm still waiting for ONE

good argument from you WHY in your mind online-activation is preferable to a

simple cd-check. not because i like arguing with you. i just really, really, really

want to know. even if there is just a little risk that you may be unable

to install your product to no fault of your own, why would you be willing to

take it, even though the effectiveness is the same as with traditional offline

methods? not only that but you defend it with hands and feet, literally

fighting for it!

after all the online-activation is an optional part in securom7...bethesda didn't

use it in fallout 3 and i don't think they had any problems with sales. same

goes for morrowind which didn't have any kind of protection at all and sold

over 4 million copies.

Ok, so if we're going to talk worst case scenarios - Maybe some rainy Sunday

when you want to install one of your games, you'll find that Starforce or the

like has damaged (sometimes irrevocably) your installation of Windows and/or

your hardware. I prefer the option where my internet dies (which is extremely

rare for me, and I live in a country with the second worst broadband in

Europe) and I go off and do something else with my time. Wouldn't you?

short answer: no.

i won't comment any further, because obviously placebo doesn't like it.

I already did, except you called me an idiot as a consequence (without

explaining why I was an idiot). Even if I couldn't give an example, what I'm

saying would be valid until you could explain why such a system never could

exist. Which you haven't done.

you mean the part where you said the gtaIV activation method was "alright"?

sorry, but you had that one coming. just look at all the forums across the

internet filled with complaints and outcries over that "protection". hell, even

the MAGAZINES protested against it and they usually tend to take a neutral

stance when it comes to stuff like that. what's to explain?

you find it "alright". well, to each his own.

Only for multiplayer.

Online activation for multiplayer would be great, if you could tie in some other systems to help make the multiplayer experience.

Imagine if you will that when you activate, you have an "account" that is tied to playing in MP over the internet where people can submit feedback about each other, much like on Ebay. If someone was a pleasure to play with, you could give them positive feedback, and compliment them on their teamwork abilities. On the other hand, you could black mark people who cheat, actively disrupt games, or have a knack for "lone wolfing" it.

This could do wonders for the community, and potentially foster teamplay.

There is, of course, a great potential for exploitation (ie, people accusing someone of "lone wolfing" when they are indeed not), but the same goes for Ebay. Over all though, people want good feedback, so they will strive to not cheat others out of goods or prompt payment. In Arma (I would hope) players would strive for good feedback so they can have a good reputation in the community. Providing negative feedback on someone who does not deserve it would ruin that good reputation.

While my explanation of this might not be the best, I think online activation, tied with some sort of feedback/reputation mechanism, could improve the community overall.

(or it could backfire and ruin it completely.... this is the OFP/Arma community after all :p)

Only for multiplayer.

Indeed.

Key install for the SP part (without e-drama-prone tools as far as possible), online activation for online play. I'd say it works OK

I don't need another DVD's

I don't need another BOX

I don't need extra stuff, instructions, maps etc. which are goes sooner or later to the trash.

Everything O-line: YES!

I respect your opinion of course.

That said, consider this:

- you want to install the game, but you've moved and your provider hasn't setup your connection yet.

- you want to install the game, but bad weather/terrorists/provider technicians/ a digger on the building ground next door have messed up your con. Could take days until it works again.

- activation servers are out of service because the game is so great, everyone & his dog wants to activate it on the same release day(week)

- activation servers are out of service because there are legal issues between BIS and your local publishers that need to be sorted out atm.

- activation servers are out of service because BIS are out of $$$ and have to call it quits before they release a free-all patch (god forbid)

- some hacker who rather plays another milsim attacks the activation servers

- some hacker releases a key generator, leaving you with the server message: 'Key already in use. Activation cancelled.'

I'm sure there are other points. I love DVD Boxes on my shelf.

Imagine if you will that when you activate, you have an "account" that is tied to playing in MP over the internet where people can submit feedback about each other, much like on Ebay. If someone was a pleasure to play with, you could give them positive feedback, and compliment them on their teamwork abilities. On the other hand, you could black mark people who cheat, actively disrupt games, or have a knack for "lone wolfing" it

This works out in favourite games where there are so many servers + players that its hard to give them indenty. In this game there is plenty indentity because of the low player count. Also when the new game has come out new players who are not used to people killing while not appearing in the screen will say that : "Stop cheating" nonscense and if this idea of yours get implemented any player with past experience in the game will get blacklisted instead of just getting kicked and joining another server.

( why is lone wolfing called in the same list of people who cheat and actively disrupt games? )

Current Key system prevents people from using 1 key twice online on legit servers and others that try and use non legit keys cant play or are affected in ways I would prefer that I am not for activation. But its all up to Dev's. But putting activation limits will also piss me off even more if they do put activation.

I love BIS and their games, but online activation is a deal breaker for me.

During the last years I've passed on every game that used DRM and tbh I don't see me changing that anytime soon. Games I did not buy but would have if they didn't had used DRM were games like HL2 (yes, I never played that!), Left4Dead, Earth 2160, Battleforge, DeadSpace, Empire Total War, C&C Red Alert 3, GTA4, FEAR2, Dawn of War 2, BioShock, FSX, Crysis Warhead (but I have Crysis), FarCry 2, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect to name but a few.

If ArmA2 will use an online authentication system it must be the most perfect, most awesome, most brilliant, motivating and satisfying game ever created. But even then I wouldn't rush to get it and doubt I'd buy it...

Don't use DRM BIS. :pet5:

I liked Company Of Heroes account system. You just log in to the masterserver to be authorized and play online. Ranking and stat stuff are useless, but with online account system new community features available. ie. IRC based chat, friendlists etc.

P.S: I do want manuals, the box & a DVD to install/reinstall directly when i want or need

instead have to download again the X.Gb that the game may take, wich is slower that

don't be that lazy and laid and take the DVD and put it into the drive. Some people take

care of the game's boxes, their CDs/DvDs, their manuals etc; i care for what i pay.

I don't care about the manuals so much, but having a disc is much easier fro when I reinstall.

Since games on DvD and with manuals are invariably cheaper to buy that online downloads (eh?) I will always buy them by preference. A better deal is hard to ignore.

The idea of any limit to the the number of installs on a game such as this that I will be playing for many years over the lifespan of many computers, hard drives and publishing companies is not a good one.

@RF-P, I passed on Left4Dead because of the DRM.

Which is a shame as that looks like a wicked fun game.

Edited by Baff1

Big, fat, multibook manuals? Yes thank you very much.

Leaflet of keys and quick guide? Spare me the effort.

I still have and sometimes bring out my old Elite Frontier manual and stories book. When this is getting fun and nostalgic, I know I must be getting old :D

God how I miss that game, lol :D

Since games on DvD and with manuals are invariably cheaper to buy that online downloads (eh?) I will always buy them by preference. A better deal is hard to ignore.

That is something that I find funny also.

All you need is a central server that validates your cdkey before letting you join. Its the most effective method of piracy control. This is why games such as the battlefield series, which are years old continue to be unplayable online unless you have a legitamate copy.

It's confirmed that the copy protection will be Securom, at least for 505 games release.

copy protection is Securom. You will need to activate your account online

i always like to RTM, so dvd for me thanks, plus the dvd box will look pretty :D

i usually read the manual while installing the game, maybe they might put some jokes or hidden tips or something.... *one day*

I believe online activation is the only way BIS will be able to protect the software during the critical sales period so.. they must.

Most of you are being selfish about this subject and not seeing the big picture, there are too many facts not being taken into acount.

1 - PC gaming isnt dying, its dead, burried and rotten already, these days most PC games are cheap console ports and generate a fraction of the profit the console versions do. Arma 2 is a PC exclusive so BIS need as many sales as possible.

2 - Arma 2 is being distributed thru diferent publishers at diferent dates in diferent regions and everyone who kept an eye on it will want to grab it asap, that is unavoidable.

3 - Online activation might not stop the inevitable but it prolongs the time it takes for the inevitable to happen, wich might be long enough to convince people to do the wright thing.

4 - Bohemia interactive has an unbeaten history of supporting their products and comunity, whatever they adopt to protect the software during the critical sales period can be disabled later on, they have done this before too.

Im not even worried here, i know they will do whatever they have to and if problems do arise they will be dealt with. Fortunetly BIS are not Ubisoft or EA games..

It's confirmed that the copy protection will be Securom, at least for 505 games release.

K thanks I will cancel my preorder for 4 games

-Publisher pays for DRM its not free-

Edited by volkov956

I dont get it, if you get the game original whats the problem?

The poll is skewed and does not offer meaningful information as it doesn't allow for proper answers, i.e. 'some forms of online activation are ok'. By way of example some forms of online activation limit the number of times you can activate and then you have to purchase the game again or go through a applying for reactivation. Other methods of DRM that include online activation also have ridiculous overhead and/or bugs that will (even though their Developers claim otherwise) make games they're attached to unstable or not perform as well.

Contrary to some remarks about Steam I find it to be one of the most transparent methods of DRM/Activation: it has no limits on number of downloads or activations, virtually no performance hit on games that run under it, and it offers excellent tools and support for the End User to maintain his/her game installation, as well as other nice features and benefits that may be employed by the Developer through SteamWorks.

:rolleyes:

I dont get it, if you get the game original whats the problem?

Run 4 seperate games and run activations for them gonna be a pain in the ass everytime major hardware changes that happen that require OS change. AS well as I am not gonna Phone for 4 Copies when they need to be called in when out of installs

Bethesda Softworks(Most known for The Elder Scrolls and now Fallout 3) has a great "anti-piracy" thing. You only have to put in the disc when you start up the launcher. Not when you use the .exe to automatically start the game. There's also no CD Key rubbish. Maybe it's because they know you'll have to reinstall the games so many times due to how unstable they are. Especially TES4: Oblivion. *Literally shivers at the thought*

But then you still have to make a copy of your DVD in order not to scratch it to death. This DVD they burn originals on are not that superior quality either. Plus, lets say you have 3, 4 games like that. You have to switch DVDs and that damages it even more. Actually DVDs get damaged the most when putting them in and out all the time, not to mention its incredibly annoying.

i really hope they dont have any sort of requirement for online activation such as steam etc, otherwise im thats a no go zone, i want a DVD disc,a manual,a case, if i intend to buy the game it can't be a online downloadable game, otherwise i won't buy it.

I live in a country where bandwidth is limited and i can't go spending 2-4gb downloading big files a day..i live in the country of sheep called New Zealand ,and however im strongly against such programs like steam etc.. sure piracy is everywhere... you can't stop it and you can't win the only anti piracy software i would recommend is SecuRom and that is a b*tch to crack.. so either that or no online activation etc...

What about people who are on dial up? or people who don't have a internet connection. ?? Should they suffer?

i know alot of people who do it.. if they just have the cd key then the pirates can miss out playing on 99% of online servers and MP online.. if i like the game and i really want it i go buy it.. simple.. otherwise no..

Have you ever played a game that requires online activation?

Any of the ones I have used (GTA4 and several others that I can't remember immediately) required you to activate once after installation. The activation process was done in seconds, even if you did it on dialup it wouldn't take that long.

I find it just as quick to download the crack.

Why waste an activation?

Then you can still sell the game later on without feeling you are ripping off the person you sell it to.

I did all my Hell's Highway activations within about an hour of buying it. Luckily it's such a shit game I'm never panning on playing it again anyway.

I'm unlikely to sell it, but I'd normally give it away to a friends kid or someone who would.

Edited by Baff1