Sign in to follow this  
Litos

Camera shaking

Will the camera shake when a bomb or a grenade hits near by, or a helicopter or a jet flies by really low, or a tank? I'd like that. Adds a great visual effect to games that do that, I love it. :)

For explosives it would be cool, and when a tank fires the main gun. But not from being near vehicles.

It would be nice, but only for huge explosions.

Alright, its true, being near vehicles isn't necessary - although inside is. As in... when you're in a truck for example, it would be so nice if the truck shakes accordingly to the terrain. Especially the APCs - in arma, you just sit there and nothing happens, theres absolutely no feel of being driven. In battlefield 2 for example, the whole APC goes up and down accordingly to the terrain, and you can even look out the window... I really want that feel of movement, of being in a truck/apc/tank/any other vehicle with your mates you know. In arma everything is so smooth. And better collision effects would also be nice, its also smooth...

If you want to know how fun it is to have a shaking view when driving a vehicle, try the motorcycles in Armed Assault.

If you want to know how fun it is to have a shaking view when driving a vehicle, try the motorcycles in Armed Assault.

Play a race sim like rFactor or GTR Evolution and you can see it done well.

I think if I jet comes shooting over your head at insane low altitude then a small screen shake maybe even a very slight blur would be good, but I agree standing next to a tank thats moving shouldnt result in a shake or blur effect.

In all fairness though I think alot of people are letting their imagination take over. Not much has actually been shown on the game so we have to just wait and see. The more hype there is the more disapointed you will be.

I wouldn't mind a little head shake when near explosions, but not for cars driving by. Not even tanks or planes. Explosions ok, everything else not ok. But only if it as well throws off my aiming.

Again another great thread by Litos, some people would like it and some wouldnt but id love to have my camera of my character shake when a jet Roars past just feet above my head not shake to the exstent of becoming annoying but yes little thing like this add the wow factor that people look upon as a highly class part of a game.

a little shake for major event (calling a flyby a major event maybe the wrong phrase) but yeah i like the idea, just something similar to the run effect seen in videos

It wouldn't really be realistic, unless the game was trying to simulate what a soldier sees through a helmet-mounted camera. That would explain why it seems that your character doesn't look directly into the binoculars when he pulls them up to his eyes. It's because what we see is actually what is through a helmet camera, not the soldiers' eyes. I've got it, now.

I like how in Ghost Recon 1 the ground quaked when a tank drove past you, it would cause the screen to shake a bit.

I could just imagine that same feeling in the CDF trailer at the end when a Soviet tank drives past the camera, the sqeaking of the tracks and the roaring of the engine sound so powerful that this quaking groudn thing would be absolutely awesome :)

Ghost Recon was really awesome at that.

Hits to your body would make your character flinch, resulting in a violent camera movement and it was scare as shit!

The quaking ground stuff was immersive too, the same with uniforms being able to getting visibly soaked by water :)

Also, i made a thread about the head wobble thing a while back, might be an interest read as well.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72234

Normally IRL you would get physical feedback in the presence of very low frequency energy waves but since that is not possible in a game it is best represented as visual feedback. A computer audio system, even a HDR system, simply can't substitute for the physical aspect. Providing camera shake as a means of visual feedback makes the game much more realistic and immersive as you appreciate the intensity of a tank rumbling past, the aircraft afterburner thundering a few feet off the ground and the shockwave of explosions hitting your body.

I would like to see some sort of jolt, or blur effect when firing an AT launcher. Right now its a bit bland and lacks that immersive quality. It doesn't have to be some overboard camera shaking but some sort of indication that I have just fired a rocket from my shoulder. Thanks.