Sign in to follow this  
gimpymoo

Who is publishing the UK release and will it be on STEAM?

It made my day too that they answered directly to me - cool :D

Not that amazing but still - made me happy it was one of the things I most wanted to know b4 I bought it..

not a feature - i meant just the way I would purchase the game :P..

Edited by _Cappa

ArmA 2 is now listed as Coming soon (July 7th) in Steam. But it does not have a Steam page yet.

July 7th? so we have to wait 2-3 weeks longer think I'll just buy it on DVD and then add it to steam 'manually' later on.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to get a digital copy from 505 on the 19th or do they region lock their service?

Edit: I'm in the U.S by the way.

Edited by trini scourge
addition

...then add it to steam 'manually' later on.

That probably won't be possible. All games I've got so far that works independent of Steam, and have been added to Steam later on, have not been Steam "addable".

if we get it with steam, will all the updates be done automatically?

That's normally the case on Steam, but with ArmA they didn't do that (as far as I am informed). Maybe they'll do better with A2.

Yeah...well...Arma on steam is still on 1.09 O_o you have to manually patch it up to 1.14. :butbut:

Maybe if 505 do it (since they are on steam) updates will be on time and automatic...oh wait this is valve, updates will be up EVENTUALLY after launch.

If it's on steam, I seriously doubt it'll autoupdate for reasons I mentioned before in other threads. Everytime you go to run a game that is updated via steam, steam goes and checks the files to ensure you are running on a version that by steam's info, is up to date. If we were to have say, a beta patch installed, everytime you'd run it, steam would override that patch with the latest steam update (the last non-beta patch). I'd say it's probably better in the long run that the patching is left to us and not steam for this game.

Edited by Steakslim

If it's on steam, I seriously doubt it'll autoupdate for reasons I mentioned before in other threads. Everytime you go to run a game that is updated via steam, steam goes and checks the files to ensure you are running on a version that by steam's info, is up to date. If we were to have say, a beta patch installed, everytime you'd run it, steam would override that patch with the latest steam update (the last non-beta patch). I'd say it's probably better in the long run that the patching is left to us and not steam for this game.

Wrong sir.

Steam goes out and looks for a patch by asking the master server if a patch has been uploaded by the publisher, if it has it downloads and installs the patch.

I run Arma with beta patches, and the 1.14 patch. Check your facts before posting Mister.

Jon, I'm not going to say your wrong, because you are not, however ArmA doesn't update via Steam AT ALL. There's never been an update hense the December 31, 1969 default date in the update news. Though I just realised something. Beta patches are installed in separate folders like a mod. So they could be ran without any version conflicts with Steam in the event that there was a update on Steam.

Steam can and DOES check your files when you go to run a game where the updates are handled by Steam to ensure no crucial or necessary files are wrong or missing, or at least those listed as crucial at least, as I do not know who or what determines that (I assume the developer who releases the patch). Some games I can pick apart or remove a lot of files to where the game will no longer run and Steam won't care, yet on other games, if one little intro video is missing it puts it back on there like the game will fold in on itself forever destroying space and time if that video isn't there. (though you can rename them and it won't care in some cases).

eh, i think steam is a pretty cool guy, he handles updates and doesnt afraid of any patch from ym experience

i think bis should use steam to the maxest, because gabe newell knows what he's going to do and it will open up the arma2 to a lot of future ipad people

eh, i think steam is a pretty cool guy, he handles updates and doesnt afraid of any patch from ym experience

i think bis should use steam to the maxest, because gabe newell knows what he's going to do and it will open up the arma2 to a lot of future ipad people

oh u :D

Yes, me? Do I know you from somewhere? Was my attempt at a semi-troll really that see through?

Regardless, I'd like to see ArmA2 play nicely with Steam, as much as a lot of people like to flame it, it's a good service, especially if BiS recognise it.

As for Beta's being overwritten, there's a way to have separate installs for live/test games. As I said, it'd need BiS to recognise Steam as a platform.

Edited by WiBu

ArmA 2 is now listed as Coming soon (July 7th) in Steam. But it does not have a Steam page yet.

Where is this coming soon listing seen?

Yes, me? Do I know you from somewhere? Was my attempt at a semi-troll really that see through?

Regardless, I'd like to see ArmA2 play nicely with Steam, as much as a lot of people like to flame it, it's a good service, especially if BiS recognise it.

As for Beta's being overwritten, there's a way to have separate installs for live/test games. As I said, it'd need BiS to recognise Steam as a platform.

Also, Hadaal is a cool guy. He's from Bosnialand and doesn't afraid of the Engrish.

Yes I agree, I use Steam for most of my games now because between other games I have and the large amount of DVD's I have. There's just too many damn discs lying around.

Edited by Steakslim

Jon, I'm not going to say your wrong, because you are not, however ArmA doesn't update via Steam AT ALL. There's never been an update hense the December 31, 1969 default date in the update news. Though I just realised something. Beta patches are installed in separate folders like a mod. So they could be ran without any version conflicts with Steam in the event that there was a update on Steam.

Steam can and DOES check your files when you go to run a game where the updates are handled by Steam to ensure no crucial or necessary files are wrong or missing, or at least those listed as crucial at least, as I do not know who or what determines that (I assume the developer who releases the patch). Some games I can pick apart or remove a lot of files to where the game will no longer run and Steam won't care, yet on other games, if one little intro video is missing it puts it back on there like the game will fold in on itself forever destroying space and time if that video isn't there. (though you can rename them and it won't care in some cases).

Steam replaces vital game files upon launch if they are found missing. I am able to edit Team Fortress 2 files, and vital Arma files and they are not replaced. But if they are deleted they are replaced.