Sign in to follow this  
mr burns

Will ArmA 2 support FreeTrack?!

I had a go with PPjoy, but - as ndepal says - I can't get it to install correctly on x64.... a newer version or an alternative would be a good start...

I don't even care about all this 6dof nonsense - I just wanna be able to look about without disabling aiming control to do so...

B

PS - In the heat of all this "speculation" I'm forgetting my manners... I've just noticed ndepal - and Jorge - who've been contributing heavily to this "discussion" recently, are relative newbies here...

Welcome to the best forums and the best game series in the world guys! - and thanks for your great contributions so far!

:)

Edited by Bushlurker

would it not be much easier to write a simple email to the devs ?!

they will not ignore us ( or an email ), we need a official statement !:P

would it not be much easier to write a simple email to the devs ?!

they will not ignore us ( or an email ), we need a official statement !:P

an official request would surely have more of an impact than this thread. why dont you get on that and post a draft here... :p:D

It seems there "might" be the possibility of a Q&A session with a Dev or two in the reasonably near future... there might be a chance then to ask if theres any possibility of Freetrack support in a future patch...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74341

IF we can manage to get the question asked, of course...

B

Well, I just spent an hour loading and re-loading Arma2 wondering why I couldn't get my FreeTrack to work with it like Arma1, then I came here and did a forum search or two and eventually found this thread.

The question remains then - is there any way to get Freetrack to work in Arma2, pretty please?

I'd pay the devs for a patch that fixed it *grins*

I am dissapointed by the lack of Freetrack support. It appears they have an SDK - impliment it please. Are you going to? I bought the game. How hard can it be to use 6 numbers?

Hello people,

it is very simple. Why Biz Freetrack should support? Quite clear, because the customers wish it. Of course Biz can go further with it's plan to not support it, but they then also must bear the consequences which would be there: "Then i will play another game".

I am the customer and I do what with my money I want. If they don't want to give me what i want then i will buy other games in future. OFP2 or BF3 or other will also be good games.

Think about it or let it.

I think, it's just ploticis. The only reason for non-implenting the freetrack thing is maybe a deal with the guys from Track IR. The exclusive rights for supporting this game with Track IR.

And if somebody would ask me:

What's the difference between using Track IR or Freetrack?

Track IR comes for about 160Euros

FREETRACK comes for 45Euros (with Wii mode and some IR-LEDs)

Arma2 is the best game I ever played. I would be very disappointed if BI would lock the Freetrack users out.

Steam has graciously told me I am able to pre order Arma 2 from them. Good stuff!!

So, I have spent the last few days, checking out the Arma 2 website, Youtube, and a few other sites, trying to get a much eye candy as possible on my screen, just to help me decide if Steam's offer is worthwhile.

Well, I must say I am impressed, and the option of using a head tracker for looking around, brilliant. (I am aware this has been in Arma for some time, so take a ride flamers)

Awesome gfx, awesome concept, and it's available in a few days time too.

Wheeeeee..... I haven't been this excited about a game in quite some time.

Wheeeee x2.........

Let's go read the Arma 2 forums, to see what's happening over there.

Yep, just as I thought, excited folks gearing up for war. Good Stuff.

Getting primed now, it's 6 days away still but, hell I should pay for it now just in case the missus decides to do something dumb like getting her hair done.

What the. ??!!..................

It's not going to be compatible with Freetrack?

WHAT. THE. ???

**EDITED by the author to leave out the more emotive response in my post!**

Do you know how deflated that made me feel after the last few days of excitement?

Yeh I guess some of you do, which is why we have this thread.

Two thumbs down!

Damn, prehaps I should tell the missus she can go get an new colour aswell.

Hippy

Edited by Hippy Druid

Yeah, talk about killing the hype. This is the only thread I care to open in the run up to release. In a few days, this game will unlock on Steam and my attitude right now is just 'meh'.

I'm having enough fun playing Empire: Total War this week anyways.

Yeah, talk about killing the hype.

No no no. It's a feature.

What's new in ARMAII?

#1431 Updated TrackIR interface. Now with more TrackIR.

:P

Another vote for "Please stop blocking freetrack from working".

I think it's disgusting that a company is forcing a monopoly by preventing other head-tracking software from working. But I suppose that's "off-topic."

For those who are waiting for any kind of solution about freetrack working in ArmA2. Here's an attempt to do more then simply wait:

Let's try this way to see if Bohemia hear us.

See ya! :bounce3:

Would love to see either a reason from BIS for not letting us get our hands Freetrack or the SDK released with the next patch.

BIS does hear us I'm sure of it. They just choose to ignore us, I'm convinced of that now.

BIS does hear us I'm sure of it. They just choose to ignore us, I'm convinced of that now.

I'm not only sure of that, but I'm also sure that Natural Point as been reading this thread.

Natural Point as changed ArmA2 from a 6DOF "TrackIR Enhanced title", to only 4DOF as it always should have been, and I wonder why... there is no ArmA2 thread in their forums, so it's impossible to have been there, maybe their conciseness spoke louder? I doubt of it...

Very nice video Ferujo, good sound track. Thanks for it.

For those who are waiting for any kind of solution about freetrack working in ArmA2. Here's an attempt to do more then simply wait:

Let's try this way to see if Bohemia hear us.

See ya!

Thanks for the update Ferujo. Nice vid but did you get Freetrack to work or were you using a TrackIR?

I'm sorry to admit that I cracked and I bought a TrackIR 5 :crazy_o:

I did get it for quite a good price if anyone in UK is interested.

£104 from Flightstore. Comes with a 3 point reflector cap clip that works very well and made of metal.

GOD DAMN this thing is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all those that say "why pay so much when its just a webcam and some LEDs", its NOT. I don't know the details but there is some serious processing going on in that box. I'm getting 120fps Smoooth tracking with hardly any CPU usage. The new Beta software is really good and highly adaptable.

Now I just hope that BIS can add all 6DoF to the game.

I do hope you guys get Freetack going but BIS made an exclusive contract with NaturalPoint to include only their API. There is no point asking BIS to change it as they legally cannot. Perhaps there will be a hack like with BlackShark.

I don't want to sound like a sales rep but having tried both I think it is worth getting a TrackIR 5.

Edited by EDcase

I do hope you guys get Freetack going but BIS made an exclusive contract with NaturalPoint to include only their API. There is no point asking BIS to change it as they legally cannot. Perhaps there will be a hack like with BlackShark.

What legal contract? Are we just assuming things here? I don't understand why BIS would put themselves in a position to legally only support one API over another anyways. It makes no sense from BIS's point of view to commit themselves just to make extra money for a completely different company while aggravating a few of their very own fans in the process.

Wow, this is a damn shame.. having actually read the whole thread, which i rarely do..

I'd just like to jump on the bandwagon as another person saying

"BIS Please add support for freetrack in arma2"

...now im starting to worry if SoftTH support has been removed and only Triplehead2go works... :\

infact, after giving it some more thought.. I doubt i'll actually buy arma2 now.. as silly as that sounds...

- someone else said it though.. the non-inclusion of my head-tracking setup has made me gone from thinking "wow arma2" to "meh" - and i really don't like the idea of being forced into using 'another namebrand solution'. [considering in arma i use it for jets/helos & infantry and find it great in all3 - but it adds 1000x to jets helo situation awareness]

so i'll stick with my arma1 for the moment, i bought a friend a copy a while ago and we both play it.. i would have considered buying a second copy of arma2 as well but.. ..meh.. i'll bide my time and keep my fingers crossed :)

[and incase anyone's reading this thinking, this is a - 'look at me, im making a stand: include freetrack OR ELSE bis - post, it isn't, this is merely me voicing my honest thoughts and opinions, before i sod off to play something..]

Edited by Stilton
after infact

What legal contract?

The legal contract that BIS needed to sign to get the TrackIR SDK. The one that Eagle Dynamics signed that stopped them from adding FreeTrack support to Black Shark and also stopped them from exposing their own 6DOF interface. That legal contract.

The legal contract that BIS needed to sign to get the TrackIR SDK. The one that Eagle Dynamics signed that stopped them from adding FreeTrack support to Black Shark and also stopped them from exposing their own 6DOF interface. That legal contract.

Oh well, this is worst than I thought. :mad:

so all in all we can say: there will NEVER be an official support for freetrack because they have a legal contract to follow. so guys no chance to get freetrack working...:confused::mad:

our only chance is a third person modified .exe (crack)

edit: a question, why do the game developers sign this contract?! they have the power, they can say - when we are not allowed to implement freetrack and trackir for free, we will not use trackir - so naturalpoint would have no chance because they need games with their SDK.

Edited by Peacekeep3r

you make it sound so easy. there's a bit more in play than cracking an exe.

Excuse me that is no contract, that's a sdk request. What legal bound is everyone talking about, can anyone show me physical evidences of it?

PS - Eagle Dynamics is now developing their own 3DOF sdk, so I'm sure that if that "contract" exists, it's not so rigid as people say.

Edited by Jorge.PT