Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

I don´t know what you´re talking about with the vocal whiners as i don´t frequent TWI Forums at all, but i still very much welcome the change in pace that classic brought.

The game´s called RO and it´s first iteration was not worthy of the name imho, due to the changes they´ve made in gameplay.

It rightfully crushed TWI´s popularity amongst the hardcore playerbase which kind of helped them getting into professional business.

Nothing has changed apart from no more run´n´gun, now deadly machineguns, now having better structured fronts throughout most maps, and the fun being there again because you can win without having to buy a kickass twitchfuck 4000 dpi mouse :o

RO2 Realism mode is more realistic than Classic and also more true to ROCA, the original mod.

The gameplay mechanics of Classic mode are not realistic, but they ensure a more realistic gameplay. Realism however, portrays the soldier, his movement, his aiming ability and his gear more true to the historical and realistic standpoint. There is a gear progression system in place, whitch makes the player's soldier an individuum. There are more submachineguns than in RO1, because the setting dictates it. It is Stalingrad, not some other place on the Ostfront. SMGs were picked up from dead enemies and germans used PPSH's. Nothing of that is in Classic mode.

Pixelhunting is back and now even worse than in RO1, because of more noise on the screen.

More noise? I´m used to not seeing shit in the first hand, as no AA dictates. Might be a change that sneaked past me, probably never will notice.

As for SMG´s, i don´t mind those, let people have ´em if they want - it´s no biggie as they have crap accuracy and now can be easily supressed with MG.

I´ll stick with semi-auto to pick off stray wanderers, and lurking pixel helmets :D

RO2 Realism mode is more realistic than Classic and also more true to ROCA, the original mod.

The gameplay mechanics of Classic mode are not realistic, but they ensure a more realistic gameplay. Realism however, portrays the soldier, his movement, his aiming ability and his gear more true to the historical and realistic standpoint. There is a gear progression system in place, whitch makes the player's soldier an individuum. There are more submachineguns than in RO1, because the setting dictates it. It is Stalingrad, not some other place on the Ostfront. SMGs were picked up from dead enemies and germans used PPSH's. Nothing of that is in Classic mode.

Pixelhunting is back and now even worse than in RO1, because of more noise on the screen.

That's like saying that Combat Mission is not realistic because in the squad soldiers icon there are 3 soldiers instead of the abstract 9 soldiers.

I prefer realistic gameplay environment, something that keeps the credibility, than something that reseembles an arcade shooter. Anyway, most of people know that battles of the ostfront weren't really fought in the way that RO1 portraits

But again there were very awkward changes like the loss of the suppression effect to a "THEY ARE FIRING FROM THERE" meter, that doesn't affect you at all, neither your aiming or your player reactions.

Also you are saying that SMG's were abunding in Stalingrad? How about the weapons that jammed and got lost? or the weapons that got lost in the sewers? or the lack of ammunation and supplies? (You can savage a PPSH, but in the supplies of the afternoon you will not have ammunation) or the weapons that got into fire? Most weapons got lost in the battlefield, and savaging a zone was a very tedious work, and most of the zones weren't really cleared to make a good inspection of all weapons, and the distribution of PPSH's was deplorable Red Army logistics, you could find a shock troop with a lot of magazines, or a shock troop with only the mag loaded and nothing else.

If you calculate the number of deaths of players with SMG's with the number of respawns that come with the map (something to the level of a company or batallion, depending of the map), you will see that the number of SMG's presented in the battles are too way desproportionate

Edited by NacroxNicke

All games with big enough maps have "pixel hunting", be it RO1/2, ArmA, or DCS. It doesn't matter if there is zoom or not, you will still be pixel hunting. In real life this would be "spec hunting". Combat often occurs at ranges where you might not be able to clearly see the enemy. I am not sure why people are so opposed to such mechanics in games.

I prefer Classic to Realism, though the sprinting is a bit too slow and the suppression is over done. If they can fix those it would be ideal.

I hate the artificial balance game makers create by nerfing weapon/accuracy. It's completely out of whack.

A PPSH could be much better to carry around instead of a bolt rifle when you're running through streets, in and out of buildings.

In that scenario it is normal that smg's kick most ass. Rifles are a disadvantage in CQB, you'd have a difficult time indoors not colliding your rifle against walls etc.

Now some smg's are actually reasonably accurate in real life. But kids are crying they don't stand a fair chance with their dumb ass rifle.

So devs nerf the smg. Let alone cries about machineguns that shred players to pieces. Boo-hoo.

Thank god for games such as Ground Branch. I hope so much these guys get what they need to make a game where weapons perform like their real life counterparts.

RO2 with it's weird interpretation of realism just doesn't cut it. Unless your flavor is all bolt rifles, tanks and soldiers talking to themselves.

I wish them well but this isn't a fun game for me.

I just bought the physical game and it installs 400mb from the disk and wants to download the rest, does anyone know a fix for this? It's pretty shit that I have to download 8gb at 150kb\s just to play a game that should have installed fully from the damn disk.

Edited by ArmAriffic

I just bought the physical game and it installs 400mb from the disk and wants to download the rest, does anyone know a fix for this? It's pretty shit that I have to download 8gb at 150kb\s just to play a game that should have installed fully from the damn disk.

It's especially bad for Aussies and Canucks. Apparently, the same thing happened with BF3. Have you tried opening the disc file with Windows Explorer and locating the installer file? Of course these Steam games may be different than Origin games.

Can i get a guest pass? ;)

Yes. Yes you can. What's your Steam ID?

It's especially bad for Aussies and Canucks. Apparently, the same thing happened with BF3. Have you tried opening the disc file with Windows Explorer and locating the installer file?

Yeah, with no luck.

Well I have school holidays for the next 2 weeks, I just download it over the next few days.

It's probably added the base, and now its acquiring all the updates it has gone through since release, which is quite a lot!

It is doing worse than RO1 did. Probably a combination of bugs and inconsistent gameplay.

You would have thought that TWI would have learned a lesson from Codemasters. I mean, I think we all know what happens when a game developer tries to create a game for "everyone."

Dreams of big $$$ tends to cloud judgement.

They thought the could do an EA with the full page ads in PC Gamer and such.

They might have had some success but their timing was completely off.... to say the least.

The massively buggy release was likely a result of them rushing the game out because they were broke from the advertising campaign.

Whatever happened with the people who paid an extra $10 for the unlocks they never recieved. did they get some sort or refund or compensation?

Whatever happened with the people who paid an extra $10 for the unlocks they never recieved. did they get some sort or refund or compensation?

Nope.

I had all forgotten RO2 till steam pooped up guest passes. Cant believe they are still flogging a dead horse.

With their comical unlocks, appalling bugs and issues and most of all trying to be cocky and copy other game designs.

The game is dead, they killed it.

Nope.

I had all forgotten RO2 till steam pooped up guest passes. Cant believe they are still flogging a dead horse.

With their comical unlocks, appalling bugs and issues and most of all trying to be cocky and copy other game designs.

The game is dead, they killed it.

I think that is the important part here. Had they done the following:

1) Worked purely on a RO1 type game mode. Would probably have saved time, money, and prevented many bugs, such as the server filter and unlocks.

2) Keeping the niche, loyal fan base who kept playing the previous titles for years. There was not much competition in that market.

3) Due to the arcade mode, the gameplay fell in line more with BF3. In fact, running speed wise, BF3 is more realistic. And in RO2 (save for classic) you can sprint up a flight of stairs within 2-3 seconds. You can not even do that in BF3. This, to me, made the game compete with BF3 hardcore mode. And that was not a good idea.

4) Did not release the game so early. It might have been better to release it in November. I know they were trying to avoid MW3, BF3, Skyrim, and the other popular titles released during that time. But when a PvP game starts out bad there is zero chance of it getting on is feet. A buggy PvP game that takes months to sort out will never thrive.

5) Made Realism mode more like Classic mode with no unlocks, spawning on squad leader and similar. They now split the community 3 ways, which is even worse than splitting it two ways.

IMO they should release another map or two, release the promised vehicles, and make an RO3 that is more like RO1. Though they will not get much support from me. It would be hard for me to buy another TWI game that is not greatly reduced.

5) Made Realism mode more like Classic mode with no unlocks, spawning on squad leader and similar. They now split the community 3 ways, which is even worse than splitting it two ways.

To me, that is the major reason I never play RO2 anymore is because I just don't want to be bothered learning what the bloody different game modes are. After reading their forums, I'm left scratching which one is more realistic. One group says that the one mode is more realistic and the other says the other mode is realistic. Then someone chimes in says "yeah, but you forgot the third mode." I honestly think the game has more game modes than actual players.

To me, that is the major reason I never play RO2 anymore is because I just don't want to be bothered learning what the bloody different game modes are. After reading their forums, I'm left scratching which one is more realistic. One group says that the one mode is more realistic and the other says the other mode is realistic. Then someone chimes in says "yeah, but you forgot the third mode." I honestly think the game has more game modes than actual players.

To sum it up:

Classic is more realistic, save for running stamina which is a bit low and an over done suppression effect. Realism has unlocks, spawning on the squad leader, the horrible bandage mechanic, an abundance of the rare weapons and similar. Arcade has more colorful (and damn ugly) HUD elements, handguns are standard issue, less realistic weapon damage and whatnot.

Classic mode is dead on arrival. I got a few games out of it during the free weekend when there were some players. It was the one time playing RO2 that I actually had some fun. They just need better maps and to tweak the two issues listed above. But with no players for Classic mode, why bother?

Realism has a server or two here for Americans. I have no idea how much Arcade mode has.

Splitting their community up was a horrible idea. The sad thing is there were many promising mods coming out. I always wanted a Vietnam War mod for RO. If In Country manages to come out, it will have zero player base.

For me, it isn't so much about what is more realistic, it is about what I enjoy the most. To be completely honest, the differences between the modes are negligible at best in terms of how they affected my gameplay.

I still enjoy Red Orchestra 2 quite often, as a matter of fact. There's also a couple of always-full or at least near full 64-player servers. Okay, sometimes they're filled with Nazis that have every WWII-era German military song and a copy of all of Hitler's speeches, but so what. They take requests.

Okay, sometimes they're filled with Nazis that have every WWII-era German military song and a copy of all of Hitler's speeches, but so what. They take requests.

You´re not saying you play RO2 with VOIP enabled? :butbut:

Holy cowz

You´re not saying you play RO2 with VOIP enabled? :butbut:

Well, most people don't even use it. I only met people with microphones a few times, and it was always the same guy (exaggerated for emphasis).

Also, for added awesome, listen to

. Edited by OnlyRazor

I've been playing the game since launch and enjoying it since then, despite the bugs (luckly, I never had many of them), lack of players and all. But I got bored of it, 2 weeks or more without proper playing it.

The lack of maps is the main problem here. There are custom maps beign developed and used, but I can´t download them straight from the server (too slow) and the manual instalation is chaos (and hey, I'm an ARMA player...). In the end, I don't even know if is worth to try to download and install them as the player count is lower every day.

Also, TWI timming was bad since release and updates\fixes were way too slow to create any "momentum". They design choices weren't so great either in some points.

Maybe the $30k map contest, TWI ladder and the release of mods(*) will bring some of those players back as the game isn't bad (it is not RO1, but is a nice middleground between hardcore simulation and brainless shooters). I'll just wait to see.

(*)Mods: Been a long time without seeing anything about them, so some candy eye.

Rising Storm (hope it gets released as free mod; More $ into a "dead" game thus creating a new division in the playerbase isn't good): Pics (1 2), interview with other 3 pics.

In Country: Dev Blogs, ModDB. Both with some screens.

Looks like that both are far from finish....

@Gamemodes: I thought that Classic would save the game, but IMO, its just bad. Unrealistic slow and some maps are just impossible to win.

Realism is the way to go, but since the update most servers are using global kill messages and other configurations that made it not so good. Why? The mix of features from Classic and the base of Realism would be one solution, at least for me.

Action, nothing to say.