Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

I still don't know how I feel about PB. It seems like a solution analogous to using bleach to disinfect an open wound.

Something that I really don't like from this new release is the suppression system. I'm a player of the original RO, and I liked the bloom or blackouts when you were under fire, but the new grey-layer-over-the-vision with the indicator of where the bullets come from are just bad compared to the original one.

That, and many little things like more auto weapons, more time for run and more speed while running, and zoom while aiming (the maps aren't really huge to say that it's necessary), and the hero system makes the game more fast-arcade than the old RO that were intense like this one, but more slow and realistic

I expect that some servers will apply server side mods to compensate some of those things

Don't really like Pavlovs house. =(

Of all the new maps, this one was probably my favorite, but I've heard a few people say the same thing as you. May I ask why you don't like it? I enjoy the fact that it's a bit more open instead of artificially divided into small areas and and choke points like most RO maps.

The biggest gripe with all of those built-up area fighting is that you´ll have a very hard time getting good puplic play out of it. Even if 1/3 of a team tries to follow a bunch of other players who employ smoke on their advance and make use of a commander putting arty in the enemys pathways, there´ll still be 2/3 of each time running around like headless chicken (and being successful with it!).

In DH Mod for RO:1 when i connect on a server there´ll be a tight frontline which all the players gather around - the likelyness of having some stray enemy flanking & then sufficiently spawnraping teams tends to be zero.

Grain Elevator for instance was one of the maps that had me looking forward to it because of the tense fighting descibed in books, but ingame it deteriorates into a twitchshooter.

Anyway, tomorrow´s the great day!

Will there be any maps we haven´t seen in the beta?

Of all the new maps, this one was probably my favorite, but I've heard a few people say the same thing as you. May I ask why you don't like it? I enjoy the fact that it's a bit more open instead of artificially divided into small areas and and choke points like most RO maps.

It's an attack/attack map. Poor spawn protection, tanks dominate, it's pretty small map, and it's hard on the computer (other maps aren't as bad).

I haven't played in a couple days.

edit: I'm still pretty disappointed by the lack of destructible environments. On Red October some of the factories look destructible. I hit them with HE shells from my t34 and saw debree fly, but it really didn't do anything. Some wooden sheds can get blown up. But nothing like I thought it would be. Most of the real buildings cannot be damaged even by tanks or satchels. The fantasy of blowing holes in walls in order to bypass a chokepoint is no longer possible.

Just hoping custom map makers can take advantage.

Edited by Montanaro

It's an attack/attack map. Poor spawn protection, tanks dominate, it's pretty small map, and it's hard on the computer (other maps aren't as bad).

I haven't played in a couple days.

edit: I'm still pretty disappointed by the lack of destructible environments. On Red October some of the factories look destructible. I hit them with HE shells from my t34 and saw debree fly, but it really didn't do anything. Some wooden sheds can get blown up. But nothing like I thought it would be. Most of the real buildings cannot be damaged even by tanks or satchels. The fantasy of blowing holes in walls in order to bypass a chokepoint is no longer possible.

Just hoping custom map makers can take advantage.

Its Unreal engine what did you expect full on destruction?

Im thinking about skipping this game now.

Its Unreal engine what did you expect full on destruction?

Im thinking about skipping this game now.

I wouldn't take anything he's said as advice to not buy the game, I'm enjoying every second of it so far, offers something different, its called RO2 after all not RO1.

Full on destruction would be hard to do imo.

There is already bullet penetration for 64 players to take care of, let alone physics for fully destructable environments. Dead bodies are already client side, and i guess the debris would be too.

Imagine trying to take cover behind a fallen block that isnt there for another player but a metre off to the right, or people complaining they cant use the cover system on these blocks to blind fire over them. It's not very feasible imo.

Full on destruction would be hard to do imo.

There is already bullet penetration for 64 players to take care of, let alone physics for fully destructable environments. Dead bodies are already client side, and i guess the debris would be too.

Imagine trying to take cover behind a fallen block that isnt there for another player but a metre off to the right, or people complaining they cant use the cover system on these blocks to blind fire over them. It's not very feasible imo.

Do like in BC2, no debris. Just some FX with smoke, fire and whatever to make the "wow effect" and replace the building by one damaged. Like in ARMA.

Anyway, Im not a big fan of full destruction it makes the map boring after a while. In RO2 some stuff will be destructible (but remaining with plenty spaces to take cover) others not. Like in the upcoming BF3.

TWI said multiple times that they're not going to make everything destructable, because a flat map just isn't fun.

TWI said multiple times that they're not going to make everything destructable, because a flat map just isn't fun.

But everyone having the ability to zoom like a sniper is fun?

But everyone having the ability to zoom like a sniper is fun?

Like in Arma? Its not zooming, its focusing.

Like in Arma? Its not zooming, its focusing.

In ARMA it's something that needs to be done in that way, because of the longe range firefights

In RO2 the maps are smaller, the ranges to do a firefight are from 0 to 150m, so the zoom is unnecessary, heck, the maps are even smaller than ROOST ones and the no-zoom ironsights worked well in that game

And, to the guys that say that it's RO2 not ROOST, it's like saying ARMA 3 can be an COD-copy game and nobody will argue against that, because ARMA 3 is ARMA 3 and ARMA 2 is ARMA 2

Pre-load avaible.

See you in the fields tomorrow.

Nice tech demo, bro.

Does every post you make, at least here, needs to be ignorant? It's a UDK + APEX WIP, that means it was done by some guy working with a FREE engine, in his own time. This is no tech demo...:rolleyes:

Have you read the other link i posted before typing the above?

I love persons like you who talk without actually knowing what they are talking about...have you even tried UDK yourself before making a judgement call?

Pre-load avaible.

See you in the fields tomorrow.

I'm assuming that's the 1.3gb update I'm downloading now, 17hours ahead of release?

;2021839']I'm assuming that's the 1.3gb update I'm downloading now' date=' 17hours ahead of release?[/quote']

Nope. They update the beta too.

We have just set live the last update to the beta.

In it we have addressed the major crashes that players have provided .dmp files for, fixes, and several optmizations. We will continue to work on the game up until the point of release (and after of course).

Does every post you make, at least here, needs to be ignorant? It's a UDK + APEX WIP, that means it was done by some guy working with a FREE engine, in his own time. This is no tech demo...:rolleyes:

Have you read the other link i posted before typing the above?

I love persons like you who talk without actually knowing what they are talking about...have you even tried UDK yourself before making a judgement call?

The map editor even then I couldnt figure out how to make a playable space without my character falling into oblivion (Gears of War PC map editor an older build of this unreal engine) :p

Heres a solution for you, dont like my posts click the ignore button.

the beta patch is kinda pointless ,because today they releasing the retail version

and also Steam won't let me Pre-load (tryed the trick with changing region ,but it did not work ) :p

Now it finally works

btw now we need that RO2 "ArmA" server :D

Edited by RobertHammer

Im at work :mad: , so was wondering if I was to download the game here through steam , would I be able to then copy the game folder from my machine here to an external drive and take it home ?