Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

I think the characters shouldn't be saying anything, it really defeats the purpose of what "realism" in RO you

didn't have auto chatter or characters blurting out stuff at random, as you guys said it gives away your position.

In a way its kinda of cool, but personally unless I push the button for a voice command, or voice shout or whatever

then nothing should be said, this bs kinda of reminds me of those old games where half the game is a cinematic when

you get to a part of it in a linear level, and you really dont do nothing but watch, its like wtf can i play!

I think the characters shouldn't be saying anything, it really defeats the purpose of what "realism" in RO you

didn't have auto chatter or characters blurting out stuff at random, as you guys said it gives away your position.

In a way its kinda of cool, but personally unless I push the button for a voice command, or voice shout or whatever

then nothing should be said, this bs kinda of reminds me of those old games where half the game is a cinematic when

you get to a part of it in a linear level, and you really dont do nothing but watch, its like wtf can i play!

Your character will only speak, if there are friendlies near him.

It's all over what people think feels more realistic,

Being able to understand what your people are saying in what is *supposedly* your native tongue.

or being able to hear them speak in their native tongue.

For me, I'd rather hear the guy yell "In the west - Enemy Tank" rather than "Im Westen - Feindlich Panzer!"

As I'd be able to understand it much easier. And when it comes to Russians, I wouldn't be able to understand a word of it; and whether that's "more realistic" or not, it's damned annoying to have someone yell "grenade" and not be able to understand what he's saying to you. :D

But they should have a patch/optional DLC that adds the original voices in for those that want them. As TWI said they wont due to it taking up too much memory.

I learned rather quickly in RO and DH what the Germans were saying. Or you could just ask someone that knows German what the characters were saying. I mean, it doesn't take a person with a PhD to figure out.

I learned rather quickly in RO and DH what the Germans were saying. Or you could just ask someone that knows German what the characters were saying. I mean, it doesn't take a person with a PhD to figure out.

It's an option anyways so it doesn't really matter if people get their panties in a twist.

Your character will only speak, if there are friendlies near him.

So you are saying I should only flank the enemy MGer/sniper by myself?

Also it seems like the game doesn't recognize elevation in this algorithm. eg...your on 3rd floor and team is one 1st, you'll still blurt something out.

Yes, But with the supposed 3000 lines of Battlechatter, both in Russian and German ...

ben, english not the only language on the planet. I have always preferred the original language over some randomly generated accents which is something i find hilarious.

It is the same thing where most EU countries have the movies doubled on TV and in cinema. I have really grateful that in my country we only have subtitles for those. You can only understand it when you go see a western where everyone is speaking german, or say a russian clasic such as Tarkovskiy's Stalker where everyone is speaking english...

In the end, i really see no problem, so the whole thing around the player chatter is just a knee jerk IMO.

Oh, this is one only game besides Deus EX(which i am fairly dissapointed with) and BIS games that i have pre-ordered in a LONG time...

Edited by PuFu

ben, english not the only language on the planet. I have always preferred the original language over some randomly generated accents which is something i find hilarious.

It is the same thing where most EU countries have the movies doubled on TV and in cinema. I have really grateful that in my country we only have subtitles for those. You can only understand it when you go see a western where everyone is speaking german, or say a russian clasic such as Tarkovskiy's Stalker where everyone is speaking english...

In the end, i really see no problem, so the whole thing around the player chatter is just a knee jerk IMO.

Oh, this is one only game besides Deus EX(which i am fairly dissapointed with) and BIS games that i have pre-ordered in a LONG time...

Voice overs are a completely different entity to battle chatter...

Voice overs are a completely different entity to battle chatter...

How does one even respond to this absurd statement?

You talk as if I'm an idiot on that first line, Obviously English is not the only language, but many people are not bilingual or know Russian/German.

Yes, But the problem is, In the end TWI have to make gameplay decisions over realism/authenticy ones. People can easily pick up simple lines and phrases, but is being able to hear the guy talk German where you then have to fiddle about looking at the bottom of the screen at some subtitles before realizing he said "Grenade" better than being able to understand what is being said?

I don't really mind either way, As I know some German and are continuing to learn it (alongside French, I know No Russian, so I'm screwed with them), So I can understand some of what's being said by them. It's just inconvenient to have to pause and look at subtitles whilst someones yelling "Grenade, Get to cover" at you, Either in German or Russian.

He's right though, The voices aren't there to set the scene or tell a story, they're there to tell you to Move your ass cause there's a grenade at your feet.

Obviously English is not the only language, but many people are not bilingual or know Russian/German.

Yes, i agree...and what is your point there? That everything should be in english because simple stuff as move and grenade is hard to comprehend, even when subtitles are available?

well, you got the same issue in A2 just as well, and i haven't heard many complaining. (russians speaking russian, chedaki speaking czech and so forth)

really this the sort of thing ppl write when they get bored and spend to much time on the internetz. It is not like they are telling a story using thousands words, and it is not like there are no subtitles. You can understand most of the stuff by the tone anyways.

Oh, bear in mind that my german skills are low, and my russian ones are non existant

Yes, i agree...and what is your point there? That everything should be in english because simple stuff as move and grenade is hard to comprehend, even when subtitles are available?

No, It's just that's TWI's view of it, it's better for gameplay to be able to understand your teammates than not to. Whether you agree or not.

well, you got the same issue in A2 just as well, and i haven't heard many complaining. (russians speaking russian, chedaki speaking czech and so forth)

Yes, Lots of games have people speaking their native languages such as Germans speaking German and Russians speaking Russian. Even some older CoD's did it, alternatively, there's plenty of games that are in English and noone complains. Odd.

really this the sort of thing ppl write when they get bored and spend to much time on the internetz. It is not like they are telling a story using thousands words, and it is not like there are no subtitles. You can understand most of the stuff by the tone anyways.

Maybe ...

Oh, bear in mind that my german skills are low, and my russian ones are non existant

Same with me, I can understand some simple German phrases, but cannot understand anything in Russian.

To me, so long as there's subtitles, It's not that much of a problem.

Voice Overs = Voice Recordings

Battle Chatter = Random statements from avatar during game

One is a gameplay feature, the other are audio files

Big difference

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Again, the complaints on the TWI forums are not about what lanaguage the voices are in. The complaints are that the avatars chatting is inappropriate in certain situations.

Again, the complaints on the TWI forums are not about what lanaguage the voices are in. The complaints are that the avatars chatting is inappropriate in certain situations.

Ahhh, it's a first time i hear about it as such...my bad then, reading ben_s posts i had the feeling that the ger/rus languages were to blame for the bickering.

Ahhh, it's a first time i hear about it as such...my bad then, reading ben_s posts i had the feeling that the ger/rus languages were to blame for the bickering.

Well there is no arguing there anymore, they're more hyped over the Beta coming in around a day or two, but it was ping-ponging between both. I was just more interested with the DE/RU voices as that caused more conversation.

I actually didn't see that much 'bickering' over the actual chatter in TWI's forum?

BC2 also has this "auto combat chat" and its annoying, it gives away your position and makes you an easy target. Eg: Throw a granade in a general area, if someone screams you can go with weapons blazing.

It sure adds some immersion but its a major problem when trying to sneak around.

You can set the language in options...

And again, your character will only speak when there are friendlies nearby.

You can set the language in options...

And again, your character will only speak when there are friendlies nearby.

Do you read what anyone posts?

Do you read what anyone posts?

Yea I do. Just when will your character say something? When he is reloading or throwing a grenade. Now, when do you typically reload? Exactly, after you shot somebody. The sound of your K98k or MP40 will be enough to alert the enemy of your existence.

sY-6D94zHug

More Tank gameplay, you also see the damage system working there ;)

when do you typically reload? Exactly, after you shot somebody.

Thats run n gun tactics, in realism you want to reload before a battle starts, reload under cover somewhere, reload before entering buildings,

moving, all depends, personally there should be the option to turn it off, its like those games in the old days that play music but you cant

turn the music off, i prefer control over my game.

Everyone plays different and options are important if your going to please everyone,

1 style of doing something dont cut it anymore.

Yea I do. Just when will your character say something? When he is reloading or throwing a grenade. Now, when do you typically reload? Exactly, after you shot somebody. The sound of your K98k or MP40 will be enough to alert the enemy of your existence.

Thats not how I play Darkest Hour (RO1 mod) or most other games.

A lot of time when I have an MG, I have to relocate. I usually never reload until I get into my new position (and I'm often on the flanks in order to fire into central travel paths).

And lets say I have an SMG and I'm on the flanks again (being in the center where all the action is, this issue is not quite as important). I bump into an enemy...I shoot him. I usually won't reload until I feel like I'm in a safe location where I'm protected (I don't spray my entire magazine into one guy and then stay at that exact spot). I could be 50-100 yards away from where I killed the previous enemy which is a long distance in video games. The last thing I want my guy doing is yelling once I've reached safe spot.

and of course the enemy knows of "your existence" this isn't an ARMA infiltration mission against AI. The key is not to give away your exact location.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Check 7:50 for just one example (i've seen many in other videos)

Good new video anyway

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

At about 4:00 you'll see an instance of inappropriate chatter coming from the player.

He has 1 maybe 2 russians running around him, and a german a floor below. What does the avatar do? He yells "I know they're around here somewhere!"

Uh, yeah, and now they know you are there too! Nobody in their right mind would ever say that in that situation.

But then again, We're only seeing 3v3 or 4v4 battles on a game designed for 32v32

It doesn't seem too bad, a few messages, but either in 32v32 it's much worse, or it doesn't seem as bad.

But I agree, whilst stood above friendlies it's not a good idea to yell "I know they're close" near the enemies. :p

But then again, We're only seeing 3v3 or 4v4 battles on a game designed for 32v32

It doesn't seem too bad, a few messages, but either in 32v32 it's much worse, or it doesn't seem as bad.

Old good RO :D Don't worry about 32vs32, when game will be released you will see this on most of servers ;)

This is first gameplay video, what I saw and I can say "Good, they save RO gameplay". Even artillery sound is same :D

Edited by DAP

Thats run n gun tactics, in realism you want to reload before a battle starts, reload under cover somewhere, reload before entering buildings,

moving, all depends, personally there should be the option to turn it off, its like those games in the old days that play music but you cant

turn the music off, i prefer control over my game.

Everyone plays different and options are important if your going to please everyone,

1 style of doing something dont cut it anymore.

They should it make like in Arma, or like it was done in Mafia 1 when you reload you put a new Mag in and store/throw away the old one with the remaining bullets still inside.