Sign in to follow this  
Pac

Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

RO2's interiors are for the looks as well

lolno, as a normal infantryman you can shoot at the hatches and damage the glass, so that no one can look out. There is no 3rd Person mode, so you'd have to open the hatch if you want to see stuff.

RO2's interiors are for the looks as well

You are not getting a real simulation there either

Not in the engine/gears/suspension side of things, but the penetration system is very good - loads of fun sitting in a T34 when german tanks open up and you can see & hear shots plinking off your sloped armor :D

...aiming for the gap where hull and turret meet is most rewarding.

lolno, as a normal infantryman you can shoot at the hatches and damage the glass, so that no one can look out. There is no 3rd Person mode, so you'd have to open the hatch if you want to see stuff.

And that's about it?

As for the damage system - can you damage the turret? Can you damage the engine? Can you damage wheels? At least?

Dunno, not playing tanks much ... but i got an achivement for shooting a tanks tracks off :p

EtNtWvHoBfQ

quite a bit of tank gameplay there. Watch the little icon on the bottom left side.

um...... I guess according to Tripwire, every tank in WW2 blew up in a huge explosion every time a round went through the hull.

Watched half of it before getting bored. Haven't seen a single instance of tank weapons getting damaged. Actually doesn't look much different from OFP/ArmA tank damage systems, except in OFP/ArmA it's easy to disable the tank gun by firing straight at it.

What I've also noticed - are tanks balanced? Because T-34 looks way too over-armored. In reality german tanks were making a tank stew out of it.

Other than that - doesn't look any different from other TDM shooters apart from 'realismuh' fluff (which is way too balanced to be realistic).

A pity

um...... I guess according to Tripwire, every tank in WW2 blew up in a huge explosion every time a round went through the hull.

Wasn't there a comment a few pages back that tanks don't blow up in RO2?

Tank interiors for Arma2 have one major draw back, the HDR goes haywire. You can see this effect inside the bradley and cargo compartment of any vehicle that does not have an exterior window, or for that matter any shadow zone that does not have a "window".

Oddly enough there are buildings on OA that are exempt from the HDR but I don't know if whatever parameters that is can be applied to vehicles.. So here's hoping the HDR becomes less hyperactive in A3 that it absolutely must fight it's way to brighten the scene in some way..it worked very well in OFP because there was no HDR so there was no flickering and the screen remained at the same brightness.

Edited by NodUnit

Watched half of it before getting bored. Haven't seen a single instance of tank weapons getting damaged. Actually doesn't look much different from OFP/ArmA tank damage systems, except in OFP/ArmA it's easy to disable the tank gun by firing straight at it.

What I've also noticed - are tanks balanced? Because T-34 looks way too over-armored. In reality german tanks were making a tank stew out of it.

Other than that - doesn't look any different from other TDM shooters apart from 'realismuh' fluff (which is way too balanced to be realistic).

A pity

Wasn't there a comment a few pages back that tanks don't blow up in RO2?

If you don't watch the video, don't complain ;)

Kill cam... "killed from location" :butbut:

:j:

You just see the general direction

Seems like almost everyone has a freaking SMG...........

SMG classes are limited in Territory and Countdown:

http://images.totalgamingnetwork.com/images/2011-08-19_00013.jpg

http://images.totalgamingnetwork.com/images/2011-08-19_00006.jpg

The killcam is stupid, even if it is limited. The whole point of RO was to be realistic and real war is incredibly confusing. You don't know where you're being shot from half the time.

I can see TripWire are moving the WRONG direction. I can see RO3 being a COD clone in full.

Well if the kill cam can be turned off i see no problem with it, if not it's lame even though it's "limited".

And that's about it?

As for the damage system - can you damage the turret? Can you damage the engine? Can you damage wheels? At least?

Yes you can damage quite a lot of things, most importantly ofcourse the tracks and the engine.

If i recall correctly there are about 10 different types of equipment that can be damaged, while everything can be penetrated and kill individual crew members, ripping off limbs and splattering the inside of the tank with blood.

For example it is also possible to hit the ammo store, which blows up the tank in a single hit, or kill the tank over time by disabling various parts.

Anyways, everybody knows BIS tanks work with a hitpoint system, where in RO2 this is not the case, or at least not as noticeably (i dont know the full details, i'm an infantry man at heart and care little for hiding in tin cans)

The reason you dont see much damage being done is that some tankers are extremely skilled at angling their tank and putting it in a hull down position, which can deflect rounds quite well.

And if they do hit, maybe they just penetrated but didnt hit anything vital.

Where you hit a tank and how is a big deal.

And ofcourse there is the crew switching in RO2 which is great, as you can no longer instant-switch between positions.

And @DieterWeber, apparently Bohemia seems to think the same thing? But it's not a problem here? :rolleyes:

Also, RO2 has 3 main gamemodes: firefight (regular TDM), territory (old RO gametype, fighting over objectives with respawns) and countdown (single life gametype resembling search and destroy, also about taking objectives).

Only in firefight are weapons unlimited. It's basically a mode to get new people into the game, or to pass the time waiting for clanmatches etc to begin.

In Countdown and Territory there is a limited amount of roles, so not everybody will run around with an SMG. Even though for example the Soviets did have units that were smg-only.

I cant say i love the new killcam thing either. In fact, i hate it with a passion.

But it's a server option and enough servers will put it off. It's not a default.

It makes it easier for new players to get into the game, and trust me, i've been playing the beta for a while now.

If you are in CQB you will know where you got shot from anyway, and in long range fighting you will only see a general direction. That said, i will never play on a server with this killcam thing on.

But it will prevent people going from wtf if they are unused to the concept you can be shot through the floor or the ceiling. Really, imagine coming from a different genre and not expecting or even knowing about such stuff, and have it happen to you. Imagine the flooding of the forums with complaints about hacks and whatnot :p

Really guys, there is no need for the kind of backlash i see on this forum.

Despite what you think of certain additions, pretty much all of them are optional and can be changed on the server.

Red Orchestra 2 is still Red Orchestra in heart and soul. In fact, it's quite harder compared to the original, despite making it easier on some other parts.

I cant say i love the new killcam thing either.

But it's a server option...

Thats a relief :)

I have a few questions about the MGs ingame:

-For the Mg34 can you change the barrel on the gun when it and if and well if your smart before it overheats?

-For the the mg34 again, Is there an alternative fire (single shot) like in RO?

-Is there an Mg42 ingame?

other questions non mg related:

The white little flashes around the screen that indicate the supposed direction of enemy fire at you, or near, you, can that be turned off?

lastly What levels of realism can you set ingame? Asa I prefer realism as no hud, just you and the gun.

I have a few questions about the MGs ingame:

-For the Mg34 can you change the barrel on the gun when it and if and well if your smart before it overheats?

-For the the mg34 again, Is there an alternative fire (single shot) like in RO?

-Is there an Mg42 ingame?

other questions non mg related:

The white little flashes around the screen that indicate the supposed direction of enemy fire at you, or near, you, can that be turned off?

lastly What levels of realism can you set ingame? Asa I prefer realism as no hud, just you and the gun.

1. You can change the barrel

2. i dunno

3. In later free DLC

and all the incoming fire detectors are off in Realism mode, also most of the Hud (maybe the icon that you're hurt will still flash?)

Wow, they're going through the whole DLC for stuff that should already be in the game(i.e. MG42) ? I guess money and greed really does change people.

Pretty big shit storm going on about voice overs and auto shouts/battle chatter

Pretty big shit storm going on about voice overs and auto shouts/battle chatter

It's all over what people think feels more realistic,

Being able to understand what your people are saying in what is *supposedly* your native tongue.

or being able to hear them speak in their native tongue.

For me, I'd rather hear the guy yell "In the west - Enemy Tank" rather than "Im Westen - Feindlich Panzer!"

As I'd be able to understand it much easier. And when it comes to Russians, I wouldn't be able to understand a word of it; and whether that's "more realistic" or not, it's damned annoying to have someone yell "grenade" and not be able to understand what he's saying to you. :D

But they should have a patch/optional DLC that adds the original voices in for those that want them. As TWI said they wont due to it taking up too much memory.

The problem I believe is the amount of unnecessary and/or irrelevant avatar chatter or auto-taunt, if you prefer.

Original language is an option me thinks.

Sic said it plays like Game1 "in heart and soul".

That my friends, is good enough for me.

It's all over what people think feels more realistic,

Being able to understand what your people are saying in what is *supposedly* your native tongue.

or being able to hear them speak in their native tongue.

For me, I'd rather hear the guy yell "In the west - Enemy Tank" rather than "Im Westen - Feindlich Panzer!"

As I'd be able to understand it much easier. And when it comes to Russians, I wouldn't be able to understand a word of it; and whether that's "more realistic" or not, it's damned annoying to have someone yell "grenade" and not be able to understand what he's saying to you. :D

But they should have a patch/optional DLC that adds the original voices in for those that want them. As TWI said they wont due to it taking up too much memory.

As bone boys said, it's more about the ridiculous auto chat.

When you run out of stamina, your avatar complains about it outloud..."Oh heavens me, I'm so fatigued"

and when you kill people you go TAKE THAT NAZI SCUM or something similar...which really makes delayed death messages completely pointless.

Plus if you are sneaking around and a buddy is somewhat nearby and you go to reload your avatar blurts out "I'M RELOADING OVER HERE COME AND GET ME!"