Sign in to follow this  
Skinner

will ArmA 2 support FreeTrack?

So lets make sure Free Track will be supported by BIS and if you are not interested plz keep out of this thread and don´t try to force it to get locked.

The only way to make sure that free track is implemented is to be either Marek or Ondrej.

We [as in the collective we - members of this forum] can discuss it, but aside from what has been said already there isnt much to discuss. Without knowing what sort of contracts have been signed between/entered into by BI, NP and any other parties, theres no way to know what is even legally possible to add to ArmA2.

I have no great interest in freetrack, since I have a TIR. I am all for having more options, but being a dirty capitalist pig-dog I am all for BI and NP making the most money they can. (Basically seconding MehMans comments)

g-c

"We" suggests a collective majority, in this case the phrase "some of us" is more suitable...

"We" was directed to the people interested in Freetrack not to people who are not and want the thread to be locked. But i guess u get what you intend.

To make "sure" was meant to raise your voice to get heared if you don´t ask you don´t get a answer. And why shouldn´t we discuss it the whole forum would be useless if we wouldn´t be allowed to how do you think alot of changes and features made it into ArmA and ArmA2. Because you are a "dirty capitalist"? And by the way i hate to write in bold letters it ads nothing to the discussion.

Maybe because they can reach more people if they keep their product as open as possible for other Products:rolleyes:

Would you use Windows if only Microsoft and Google Products would be possible to use?

Freetrack and TIR are non essentail products so your comparison is moot.

BI are supporting TIR, not freetrack, so I don't really see why they should care about freetrack. I doubt anybody here has given up buying a game because it lacked freetrack support but had TIR support.

Better to have the choice (TIR, Freetrack etc) instead of beeing forced to use only one device. Otherwise BIS, Dslyexci, TIR and NaturalPoint could make a deal - all Arma2 players who like to play with it pay only 50% for TIR 5? Ok percentages are negotiable...

Using old apis to keep compatibility with software that was never even supported in the first place...

I'm not arguing use of Freetrack, I'm against using NP's api for doing that.

Not being able to use Freetrack as an alternative to whatever TIR offers would suck. I cannot make it more clear than that. :)

Not being able to use Freetrack as an alternative to whatever TIR offers would suck. I cannot make it more clear than that. :)

Very well said! :icon14:

If someone can provide me a link on what i have to glue together to get something similiar to TrackIR then i would be very happy.

It this seriously meant?

Look on Free-Track website mate, or on youtube - there many guides for that.

Or read here too: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72356&page=2

There is nothing stopping FreeTrack developers from releasing whatever technology they like. However, the history of the FreeTrack project is rife with shadiness, and most of it stems from code which shows up in both original and more recent FreeTrack releases.

The short version of the story: FreeTrack took code copyrighted by TrackIR and used it in the creation of their own "open-source" product.

So why would FreeTrack and its supporters be so up in arms about TrackIR's recent inclusion of more heavily-encrypted strings and APIs? Surely it wouldn't hurt FreeTrack since they make all of their own code from scratch and don't steal anything from professional NaturalPoint programmers, right? I mean, we're talking about two completely different products here... right? Why does the success or failure of FreeTrack hinge so much upon what NaturalPoint is doing?

Well, let us assume that the old shady ways are behind FreeTrack and they really are doing their own thing now (albeit after having had a good look at what NaturalPoint was doing and taking extensive "notes"). Being an open-source project—especially one which requires a degree of DIY on the part of the consumer—they might find it difficult to find official support from commercially-involved companies such as BIS.

When you include support for such a specific peripheral as head-tracking technology in your software, you want assurance that there will be things such as professional tech support, longevity, and future compatibility. NaturalPoint has all of those. They are a commercial entity committed to making a professional product. Asking BIS to officially support and make low-level changes to their software's peripheral support for a product that requires some guy on the Internet to glue things together at home is rather silly.

Edited by Squint

Oh evil NaturalPoint, not allowing other people to use THEIR api!

Thats the way I see it also, freetrack needs to spend it's own time, if it wants to be free.

Maybe the author will create his own.

I have no great interest in freetrack, since I have a TIR. I am all for having more options, but being a dirty capitalist pig-dog I am all for BI and NP making the most money they can. (Basically seconding MehMans comments)

I tried freetrack prior to recieving my TIR, it didn't feel smooth, nor near the movement, like TIR. (Maybe it has changed)

Edit, yea...what Squint said above :icon14:

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

When you include support for such a specific peripheral as head-tracking technology in your software, you want assurance that there will be things such as professional tech support, longevity, and future compatibility. NaturalPoint has all of those. They are a commercial entity committed to making a professional product. Asking BIS to officially support and make low-level changes to their software's peripheral support for a product that requires some guy on the Internet to glue things together at home is rather silly.

Very silly, especially considering the fact that for BIS to support that, they have to spend time and money. Time and money is a finite commodity for a software developer, and there are far too many other items that they could spend there money on to improve their game.

Ahh there they come... a hurray for the Track-IR disciples....I see your master has already convinced you for one "side"....

Guys seriously, about what support are you talking about? I'm sure ED was not planning any support for their planned SDK at all , as they wanted to open their Head-Tracking API to all Head-Tracking software developers.

To what i read and heard, both technologies/APIs are similar in its way, starting at the inclusion in the engine or when something is bugged you can be actually rather sure its bugged at both.

And for the claim that Free-Track stole code from Naturalpoint, do you mind in sharing some read-able informations?

Ahh there they come... a hurray for the Track-IR disciples....I see your master has already convinced you for one "side"...

Diplomacy is overrated. You're an idiot. :rolleyes:

Ahh there they come... a hurray for the Track-IR disciples....I see your master has already convinced you for one "side"....

I'll agree with Dslyecxi since,

If you read my post above mr.g.c......"I tried FreeTrack" before I bought TIR.

Diplomacy is overrated. You're an idiot. :rolleyes:

Thanks TrackIR master, do you mind telling me actually how much you earn from every sold Track-IR, which was bought over one of your affiliate ids?

I think thats a valid question, when trying interpreting your side of that "discussion/debate", isn't it?;)

I'll agree with Dslyecxi since,

If you read my post above mr.g.c......"I tried FreeTrack" before I bought TIR.

Hi, with what camera u sued it and do you mind sharing some data about how you "glued it together" and which version you were using?

Edited by mr.g-c
answering swats post

Thanks TrackIR master, do you mind telling me actually how much you earn from every sold Track-IR, which was bought over one of your affiliate ids?

I think thats a valid question, when trying interpreting your side of that "discussion/debate", isn't it?;)

I didn't chime in on the debate, I simply called you out for being an idiot in implying that every member of ShackTac serves "Master Dslyecxi". To reiterate, you have made yourself the fool to have stated such a thing. It's a desperate and cheap tactic that anyone on these forums can see through.

I have supported TrackIR and NaturalPoint since I first started using one in ArmA1. Your insinuation that I am motivated by monetary gains is pathetic and desperate. However, since at the end of the day we're talking about you, Mr.g-c, I am not surprised in the least. Excuse me if I do not get drawn further into the little mudpit that you're attempting to create in this topic. Please keep making your accusations and slinging baseless insults. It puts you in a better light than anyone else could ever hope to.

:rolleyes:

I think thats a valid question, when trying interpreting your side of that "discussion/debate", isn't it?

And I think it's not your business. You can also be sure that he doesn't run his "advertising campaign" without our knowledge. It's best you accept it as it is, as we accept that you prefer FreeTrack over TrackIR.

Feel free to ask for further details about his income by PM, this is not the place for it as it's irrelevant for the public general.

Maybe everyone can now discuss about FreeTrack support in ArmA2 again without going rampage and namecalling? Otherwise we pull out the keys and lock the thread. :)

I think it would be a shame to lock such thread or mark it with bad words.

Lets just make this thread useful for others that are curious how these devices work.

People are free to try out the so called FreeTrack, i once tried it and after that i got the TrackIr 4 + Clip. I think its a good idea that people try the FreeTrack it first but like Dslyecxi said "after i tried the TrackIr I never looked back" and i don't regret to invest that money in this device.

Once again, i support those who want to try the FreeTrack and think ArmA2 should support it aswell, people should be free to decide what they want. I believe that in the end the TrackIr is the best choice.

edit: typo.

Edited by bravo 6
errors, always errors typing. Arf!

Hi, with what camera u sued it and do you mind sharing some data about how you "glued it together" and which version you were using?

It's been over 1.5 yrs....version? I don't remember.

Cam= Philips something, it's long gone.

I glued the the reflectors to a "bent to fit" bracket cut from a sheet of copper.

I was spammed via pm here on these forums by : kestrel7e7, whom pointed freetrack's availabilty to me back in 2007.

All b/c I cracked a joke about "buying stock" in NatuaralPoint. lol

Any more questions?

Do you want me to forward the "5" pm's that was sent to me?

Actually? What is the point of the question you asked me?

I've already stated my opinion.

I think it would be a shame to lock such thread or mark it with bad words.

Lets just make this thread useful for others that are curious how these devices work.

People are free to try out the so called FreeTrack, i once tried it and after that i got the TrackIr 4 + Clip. I think its a good idea that people try the FreeTrack it first but like Dslyecxi said "after i tried the TrackIr I never looked back" and i don't regret to invest that money in this device.

Once again, i support those who want to try the FreeTrack and think ArmA2 should support it aswell, people should be free to decide what they want. I believe that in the end the TrackIr is the best choice.

edit: typo.

QFT!

The funny thing is i also used Free Track before i ordered Track IR 5 and do you know the funniest part? I just canceled my order MehMan was absolutly right "they are not essential". I will now wait for the Release of ArmA2 and see if there is Free Track support or not. If not is see no need to buy TIR 5 such things are not essential. I really hoped this thread would go another direction but it seems i was wrong:(

Edit:

This is how my glued together Free Track looks like.

Cap with IR LED´s

capif6zm9.th.jpg

and the Wii Remote with TFT Clip

wiia.th.jpg

ingame it looks like this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvyFirDG8zI&hl=de&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvyFirDG8zI&hl=de&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by bionic

Actually? What is the point of the question you asked me?
To tell you that today its very different. Take a cam with 100FPS or more, using of latest Version 2.2 and it comes (according to claims by people) much closer to the Track-IR than ever before.

So yes, its no wonder you were compared to track-ir rather disappointed.

@ Bionic, im still not sure if i should buy the PS3 cam and making my Free-Track, since what if its really blocked in Arma2? Then it has no real use for me, as i mostly "if" be only playing Arma2.

Edited by mr.g-c

In bionics video, it looked like he could only view over his left shoulder, while the right side locked at 90 degrees?

If thats a new version of freetrack, it does look better now adays, but I do not have a Wii to test it.

This Video also shows how the Wii is working nowadays...

1BEmEP-vei8

And i read that if the Wii were with cable connected instead of radio, responsiveness would be even faster.

Yes Bionic could make some chopper fly video or Infantry and/or look a bit more quickly around... though Arma's whole free-look system is "rather slow"/Choopy anyway, so i think in Arma1 you can never see how "quick" they really are capable of.

BTW: I found a old 2007 Thread and was astonished that we have the Free-Track Lead Dev here registered...

Read here some TIR vs Free-Track

(btw, he mentioned that the algorithm he uses was from 1992)

In bionics video, it looked like he could only view over his left shoulder, while the right side locked at 90 degrees?

If thats a new version of freetrack, it does look better now adays, but I do not have a Wii to test it.

?? i can look in all directions i want at 90-99 FPS there is nothing locked i just don´t looked that much to the right side as i did on the fast pass on the hotel to the left. This was only a short video i did for a buddy on the german Forum to show how well it works i haven´t payed attention to cover all directions 100%;)

@g-c

I don´t know the only way to get an answer is if Marek, Ondrej or... jumps in and make a comment on it.:pray: