Sign in to follow this  
specdave

Improved game play

I have a few questions about ARMA2 that I am sure were addressed but I have failed to find them.

I loved the concept of Arma 1, but it was unplayable because it took so long to do things like load a rifle, lay down, switch to grenade and throw it. Also you couldn't move with binos, prone with AT4 (not fire prone, but lay in wait, pop up to a knee to shoot), crawl/jump/climb over low fenses/stone walls, or move/go prone when reloading a rifle/pistol.

Have any of these issues been dealt with for the ARMA 2, because I am honestly not that interested in graphic improvements compared to functionality aspects. All the articles I have found display spectacular graphics, but nothing that hints at the functional aspects.

It is interesting that a company touting its military sim business lacked on the fundamental combat components of fire and manuever. This was not a rag on the company it was a very novel concept for a game, but I definitely will not be purchasing the game without trying a demo session first. I hold very high expectations for ARMA 2 because it is such a great idea with limitless potential and can't wait to see what it will be like!

Huh? So your saying?

1. Laying down took too long?

2. Reloading took too long?

3. Can you really see things clearly with Bio's well while walking in 100x zoom?

4. As far as I know there aren't mobile AT4's in Arma1... so yea.

5. Going over low objects? Already confirmed and shown in videos like this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72436

The Press thread and websites like Armaholic.com/ArmedAssault.info are places you need to check out for the latest news.

There's dozens of videos addressing each and every point you made. Spend a little time on that.

Oh and fix your misleading thread title... that is if our beloved mods get here and don't lock it anyway.

:icon_arrow: I almost forgot, welcome to the forums

Edited by Victor

Victor, the AT4 is the M136...

I concur with most of your points, specdave.

It has been confirmed that in ArmA 2, we will be able to scale low objects and reload weapons while moving.

However, ArmA's gameplay felt very clunky and slow. I rarely equipped binoculars due to the fact that you were frozen while using them - being able to press right click to exit zoom would be a nice feature.

It was impossible to fire over low objects with the AT4 because you couldn't stand and fire. Nor could you slowly creep while prone, pop up and launch it without having to pull it off your back.

Reloading was fine, it was mainly the movement limitation that spoiled it. Changing stance always felt a little slow, mainly due to massive control lag.

Well, moving while looking trough bins is not essential, but switching to them while walking, or carrying them in hand (double tap ctrl with binoculars) would be useful. Now it's quite annoying, that you have to reach position, stop and switch to bins and back to just to have a glance.

I would like moving while looking through binoculars. In real life, you don't just freeze in place because you are looking through optics, and some situations require a reaction faster than right click to lower the binocs and then moving out of the way.

People are far too exposed now when using binoculars. It feels very awkward and unnatural to be stuck in place with them.

Victor, we posted at the same time. I thought you were thinking of the Spigot.

Edited by An-225

Victor, the AT4 is the M136...

Woops, I was thinking AT4 as in the guided "AT4" weapon the Soviets had in OFP Vs's that not being in Arma.

I can't wait to see the first 'movement streamlining' mod. Hopefully modders will be able to use inverse kinematics to make most things possible whilst moving, or somehow drop the need to stop when jogging and moving from crouch to stood up or vice versa.

Damn I can't wait.

i really like the way you wrote it and as you haven't found anything about those issues, you gave youself the answer. you will not find any comments from BIS due the fact, that they'll not change the important anim's (i call it bugs). there will be some minor improvements but you will not have such a fluently gameplay like used in bf, cod, cs, aa, ofp1 and propably 2 which will again destroy the whole pvp community. i really recommend to check the demo first before upgrading your pc or buy anything. at least we'll have another war sim at hand this time because i hate not responsive controls in all kind of games or such control restrictions. i'ld rather have micro controls instead of micro ai's :butbut:

Regarding taking too long to do stuff...

If you can, get an assault rifle and see how fast you can exchange an empty magazine. Not just having a magazine on a table in front of you, but one that is tucked in a pouch on your clothing. Then go back to arma and see if your still faster. As for firing an AT4 from the prone position, I don't think it would be a safe idea. I'm pretty sure modern military forces train to fire from kneeling positions. I feel you about not being able to move with binocs.

Regarding gameplay...

There are lots of complaints about the "game play" and aiming ever since OFP. When I play with people and the talk about this I ask them to go into their control options and turn "cursor floating" slider down to nothing. If you haven't tried this before, I highly recommend it.

/my 2c

Don't forget to put that magazine that you just used in a pouch before taking out another magazine. That's what it seems like the soldier does. I can't tell since the magazine simply disappears and reappears.

guerilla;1279050']i really like the way you wrote it and as you haven't found anything about those issues' date=' you gave youself the answer. you will not find any comments from BIS due the fact, that they'll not change the important anim's (i call it bugs). there will be some minor improvements but you will not have such a fluently gameplay like used in bf, cod, cs, aa, ofp1 and propably 2 which will again destroy the whole pvp community. i really recommend to check the demo first before upgrading your pc or buy anything. at least we'll have another war sim at hand this time because i hate not responsive controls in all kind of games or such control restrictions. i'ld rather have micro controls instead of micro ai's :butbut:[/quote']

You should probably read this post fully before going off on your "oh god they'll never fix anything" rant again.

Moving with binoculars and reloading while walking/jogging were already confirmed and demo'd, see the last half a minute from this clip:

(continued in part 4)

As for firing an AT4 from the prone position, I don't think it would be a safe idea. I'm pretty sure modern military forces train to fire from kneeling positions.

Firing an AT4 from a prone position is realistically possible, and done in the military. A soldier/Marine/whatever can get into a prone position and aim the weapon so long as his body is perpendicular to the direction of fire. There back blast area is clear of the rest of their body, and they can stabilize the tube better than from a kneeling position by resting their elbows on the ground.

As for firing an AT4 from the prone position, I don't think it would be a safe idea. I'm pretty sure modern military forces train to fire from kneeling positions.

Are you kidding? Recoilless rifles are used in any stance and prone is not an exception. The rear blast is easily avoided by lying down sideways in relation to the tube.

thx for your feedback Dslyecxi but you wrote it yourself "This is not to say that A2 offers flawless movement" and i would really like to share your opinion about ongoing improvement till end of may. control is everything, in games and everywhere else

and btw, also in coop :scratchchin:

Walking while looking through binoculars? I sold Bino's for many years and i dont know anyone that walks and looks through bino's. Why? Cause you will see the world flashing by up and down, and then youll trip and break your nose.

It would be great to be able to walk when it is in hand, but as you start moving it gets drawn down in a holding position. When you stop you right click again to look through it. But walk and look at the same time belongs in some other game. Being able to do all the animations while we have the bino's in our hands should be there so we can lay down, roll or whatever to get out of harms way if needed. But the bino's needs to be taken away from the eyes when we do so. Unless you want ARMA2 to be more gamey than realistic. I vote the latter.

Alex

72;1279717']

It would be great to be able to walk when it is in hand' date=' but as you start moving it gets drawn down in a holding position. When you stop you right click again to look through it. But walk and look at the same time belongs in some other game. Being able to do all the animations while we have the bino's in our hands should be there so we can lay down, roll or whatever to get out of harms way if needed. But the bino's needs to be taken away from the eyes when we do so. Unless you want ARMA2 to be more gamey than realistic. I vote the latter.

[/quote']

I am in agreement with you here. it would be nice to have it automatically put your binocs down if you move, and raise them again when you stop, unless you are not looking through them to begin with (ACE is a decent example of that, with the problem of the binocs blocking your view when you are not looking through them)

However, I would fully support the ability to lean and retain vision through the binocs.

If it comes to wishes, I've always imagined that I would hang my rifle on tactical belt, and pick binoculars, and all that easy tasks accomplished while walking slowly towards terrain obstacle/hill.

Edited by sidhellfire

my want here is that arma2 makes the time to do things as close to possible as what it takes in real life for the majority of things. what is needed is a feeling of more 'fluidity' and the ability to stop doing something (changing magazines) and then move onto something else (hit the dirt).

my want here is that arma2 makes the time to do things as close to possible as what it takes in real life for the majority of things.

What it takes for whom? You? Me? That guy over there? We all do things at different speeds.

what is needed is a feeling of more 'fluidity' and the ability to stop doing something (changing magazines) and then move onto something else (hit the dirt).

It's been well established that you will be able to move while reloading in Arma 2, and that goes a long way to increasing your survivability.

Control of characters always been the worst aspect of ofp/arma compared to other games, i would not only like to see more movement freedoms while performing actions or using AT/binos but also all actions being quicker/smoother, some things need to be faster than rl to account for the limited range of movement and controls you have, like crouch to standing etc.

Control of characters always been the worst aspect of ofp/arma compared to other games, i would not only like to see more movement freedoms while performing actions or using AT/binos but also all actions being quicker/smoother, some things need to be faster than rl to account for the limited range of movement and controls you have, like crouch to standing etc.

I agreed that things should be smoother, but I couldn't agree on the speed up point, what arma really lack of is the ability to cut off on going action, like when you are standing up but suddently need to lay down again, or to cut off reload when you suddently need to sprit to someplace else

Regarding prone AT4 launching...

Are you kidding? Recoilless rifles are used in any stance and prone is not an exception. The rear blast is easily avoided by lying down sideways in relation to the tube.

I wasn't kidding, just ignorant. Thanks for the info. :p